You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General No one lives forever (except computer characters)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2004, 01:00 PM   #1
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar
Default No one lives forever (except computer characters)

I've just been playing through No one lives forever for the first time.

It's a very stylish game with plenty of good humour (for being a FPS that is) reminding me of classic tv shows such as The man from U.N.C.L.E and The Saint (which are two series I love).

What I miss is though, is that I found the gameplay a tad boring sometimes (although there are a couple of interesting alleviations in that boredom) and the storytelling to lack in tempo which is imperative in this type of story (not all stories need high tempo, just look at Syberia for example).

The following really is a spoiler. A major spoiler. You have been warned
Spoiler:
I also find the ending rather nice. Beforehand I had anticipated that Smith to be the most likely to be the traitor with Tom Goodman as second in line. It turns out they made both of the traitors.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 09-28-2004, 01:19 PM   #2
guybrush_guy

i compleatly agree with you, when i was playing it felt kinda empty at times.

Old 09-28-2004, 02:44 PM   #3
lemonhead11

I enjoyed the game, mainly because the humor was a nice break from other FPS's. Another thing i enjoyed was the varied level design, such as the skydiving mission.

Old 09-28-2004, 03:04 PM   #4
guybrush_guy

reading this thread makes me want to play the game again.
i just got to find the cd key, i dont have the orgional case.

Old 09-28-2004, 03:09 PM   #5

I'd love to play it again, but only one of the CDs is still in its box... Finding the other one probably means looking through my entire games collection!
Old 09-28-2004, 03:51 PM   #6
Sierra Fanatic

Has anyone played No One Lives Forever 2? It is absolutely one of my all-time favorite games and I was surprised at the overall lack of fandom or even knowledge I could find on this game. Did it flop or something? I was really hoping for a No One Lives Forever 3...
Old 09-28-2004, 07:56 PM   #7
The Dude

Send a message via AIM to mrdunn

Yeah, I'm afraid NOLF2 was kind of a flop. Very sad. It was an awesome game. Also, if you liked NOLF2, I'd highly recommend Tron 2.0. It's gameplay is very similar, its made by the same people, and it's a very cool looking game. (How sad is it that the game looks better then the awful movie does).
Old 09-28-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdunn
Yeah, I'm afraid NOLF2 was kind of a flop. Very sad. It was an awesome game. Also, if you liked NOLF2, I'd highly recommend Tron 2.0. It's gameplay is very similar, its made by the same people, and it's a very cool looking game. (How sad is it that the game looks better then the awful movie does).
This bugs the hell out of me. NOLF2 is probably my third favorite game ever, (behind KOTOR and Half-Life,) and the fact that it flopped means that we probably won't see a NOLF3. Grrr...

Granted, I never really got into the multiplayer, (mainly because I'm not interested in deathmatch and I couldn't find any co-op games,) and in the end, it really is the multiplayer that prolongs the life of a game.

If only Fox released the source code. Imagine the mods that could have been made. But then, looking at how versatile the Source engine seems to be, we could see some enterprising modder make a NOLF mod for HL2. Now THAT would rock.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:39 PM   #9
23 Railway Cuttings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdunn
Also, if you liked NOLF2, I'd highly recommend Tron 2.0. It's gameplay is very similar, its made by the same people, and it's a very cool looking game. (How sad is it that the game looks better then the awful movie does).
Tron 2.0 is very entertaining, with quite an RPG feel to it and captures the graphics of the film very faithfully (er, which is why I can't understand how you can slate the graphics in the movie ?!?!?!?)
Old 09-29-2004, 01:23 AM   #10

I've got both of the NOLF games and and still regularly play them and they still make me laugh all the time.

The "You look like, you need a monkey" sequence is one of all time highlights of computer game history.

Though admitedly it is a bit slow at times.

Tron 2.0 is also excellent, the graphic style is amazing
Old 09-29-2004, 01:46 AM   #11
Evil Webmaster

I don't know why people are so angry at Tron's CG (the movie of course), I mean heeeeey! We are talking about 1982, don't you remember how games were back then? That is one nice movie, not a masterpiece as someone likes to remember it, but definitely better than those other CGs lame attempts like the Lawnmower man (and sequel).
So there you go
Old 09-29-2004, 08:20 PM   #12
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GED X-42
The "You look like, you need a monkey" sequence is one of all time highlights of computer game history.
One of my personal favorites: "She wasn't pretty and she smelled like a horse, but she was woman enough for me!"
Old 09-30-2004, 11:30 AM   #13
pain is love

I played a few levels of NOLF, but wasn't really impressed. Although it had a nice feel to it, I just got bored. And some of those cutscenes seemed to go on, and on... But, then again, I believe I had AvP installed at the same time, so it wasn't quite fair

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 09-30-2004, 01:47 PM   #14
The Dude

Send a message via AIM to mrdunn

Ok, so I was a little harsh on the graphics of the movie. I understand it was 1982. Sorry. However, I still think its a pretty bad movie, even not considering the graphics.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:43 PM   #15

NOLF is definately one of my favourity games, as is the sequel even though it's not as good as the original. It's too bad it flopped because the newer 'stealth' (hide) system was very cool. If there were to ever be a third game I'd buy it without second thought, as long as it won't be as bad as that semi-prequel Contract J.A.C.K. :eek:

The humour is.. amazing and unique, you'll even hear a lackey romancing his favourite goat.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:14 PM   #16

Sadly, I played NOLF after NOLF2, so I never really got into it. It just didn't grab me like the sequel did. It's very sad if they don't make another game in the series - the PC scene needs such games in the future too (especially the 1st person shooter genre, which is way too serious).

Btw, I see NOLF2 on sale all over the place, so it should be very easy to find these days, at least in Europe. It's really a game that all fans of 1st person shooters should play (despite some slightly boring opening levels).
Old 10-02-2004, 05:58 AM   #17
Hopeful skeptic

Both games were excellent. The sequel was better in some ways but worse in others. They really addressed the complaints from the original, but they might have overcompensated a bit in what they toned down. But the minor RPG elements were a great addition, among other things.

There was nothing wrong with Contract JACK as a generic shooter; it just wasn't at all... NOLF.

I wonder if the games really "flopped", or if they just didn't sell anywhere near what their brilliance should have sold. I mean, we did see a sequel and a cough... expansion. That doesn't exactly suggest dismal failure.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:00 AM   #18
After 2 years...

I enjoyed No one lives forever 1 like few games out there. Very clever.

I have bought for some months No one lives forever 2 but still hasn't managed to play it.
I SO want to see the tornado level
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 10-03-2004, 12:47 AM   #19
Knowledgeable

I'm playing NOLF2 now and I must say it's not as good as the first. There is way too little of the humour and the gameplay is more boring than in the first.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 10-03-2004, 09:24 AM   #20
Knowledgeable

Argh, now I encountered this intelligence item (in NOLF2) that says that someone should report to Oslo, Sweden. Can't they even do this basic research? I mean, how hard is it look up a map and actually check where Oslo lies?

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony