You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General 2d/3d engine idea

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2004, 10:31 AM   #1

Default 2d/3d engine idea

I had this engine idea for half year ago. I know that there has been many discussions about 2d versus 3d. I adored and I still like 2d graphics but I also know that 3d offers some new possibilities.

I hope that you really get the idea that I'm looking after. I have limited English vocabulary and I failed English exam twice! Sorry about typos if there's any...

1) The 2d part. Engine has high resolution pre-rendered backrounds. I'm glad that the upcoming "Moment of Silence" is also using animated 2d. You really need movement to make scenes lifelike feel. Smoke, fog, people sitting & reading paper, waves in water etc. I have praised Blade Runner before and I do it again: "This game still has the most convincing and moody backrounds"! Of course resolution was small and sprite models were ugly, but at the time it was very impressive.

Advantages of prerendered screens: One can add maximum amount of lights, reflections, shadows, objects etc. Briefly said: you can process one scene with 10 supercomputers for few days and get lifelike environment. That saves ALOT prosessing power for players. Forget about those dull, static images of Syberia. Make backrounds breathe!

2)The 2d/3d part. Then there's visible layer behind the 2d backround. Of course this isn't new thing: often there's walk paths and hotspots "behind" the backround. This engine's layer also includes simplified geometric model of concerning backround. One can draw reflections, lights, realistic shadows etc. JUST for pc, npcs and objects. Hidden geometric layer has low polycount so it doesn't take much prosessing power. For example shadow follows the geometric pattern and looks like it would been casted on to photorealistic backround in realtime.

3)The 3d part. So there's prerendered backround and simplified hidden layer. With new p4's and Radeon 9800 all in wonder's this takes very little power of your system. So now you really can pay attention for pc and other models. One can use much more polygons, one can animate motions and feelings more in detail and really make characters and objects look realistic. Of course one could turn of reflections or shadows off if he owns older computer. This way user still can have good looking 3d models and high quality backrounds (and scenes already have realistic looking shadows).

With this engine one can make moving, breathing and realistic backrounds, high polygon characters and make shadows & reflections between 2d/3d objects. Think about full restaurant or busy street. Some moving people & objects could be prerendered in backround and important npcs & objects could be integraded imperceptibly together. Suberb looking and it takes the same processing power or even less as the modern 3d shooters. Ideal for adventure games right? Same idea as in Blade Runner but advanced.

So there. I had to get it out. I'm more of a composer than 3d-artist or coder, but these things are interesting. I really like thinking about these things. What do you think about my engine idea? Are there some games that uses this concept?

BTW do you know any links that where I can read about graphic engines and "how have they done it" stories? All associated articles would be highly appreciated

Tabbu
Old 08-19-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
merely human

8-) Welcome the community, Tabbu.

Your idea sounds fabulous! I'm trying to picture if there is already a title or two upcoming that's trying to do this, but my mind's drawing blanks. Short of actually doing FMV, your idea sounds extraordinary and definitely possible with current technology, and would certainly add a boost to the adventure game genre in terms of making us feel more alive in the gameworld. For one thing, dynamic lighting and shadows, and real time reflections and normal mapping, etc., would completely engulf me. I'd be licking my monitor screen all night, LOL. Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbu
I hope that you really get the idea that I'm looking after. I have limited English vocabulary and I failed English exam twice! Sorry about typos if there's any...
Where are you from?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-19-2004, 11:35 PM   #3
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I believe he is from Finland if his name is Tapani Siirtola, as the signature suggests.

Cool tabbu, you are the composer of Star Wreck VI, so... when is the project going to be finished?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
I believe he is from Finland if his name is Tapani Siirtola, as the signature suggests.

Cool tabbu, you are the composer of Star Wreck VI, so... when is the project going to be finished?
Project is advancing just fine. It's gonna be very busy few months ahead for me. I have no idea when.. ..sooner or later

"Intrepid Homoludens": It's great that you got exited about this idea

Tabbu