You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Max Payne...Buy it or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2004, 05:33 PM   #1

Default Max Payne...Buy it or not?

Hey everyone, I've been doing some Internet shopping this weekend, to see if there are any new action games I want to buy, and I think I have found what will be my next purchase. The game is called "Max Payne." It's a 3rd person shooter game that's been critically acclaimed by the critics, and the reader reviewers for Amazon.com seemed to really like it. So, I installed the demo from one of my demo discs from PC Gamer, and then started the demo.

I have to say that after finishing the demo today, I came away pretty impressed, the control seemed very fluid, the bullet time that you have to use strategically to fight the bad guys was pretty cool, and the graphics look uber-realistic. Plus, I love the fact that the lead hero is a real smart alec. It's easy for me to like heroes that know how to wisecrack.

I think I will buy this game tonight. Do any of you think this is a good game, and is worth playing, too?. Let me know whenever you can.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:37 PM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Yes, it's excellent. Know that it's fairly short, and it's single-player only, but it's been around long enough that it's probably pretty inexpensive by now. I'd recommend it highly.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 08-08-2004, 07:09 PM   #3
merely human

Absolutely, go get it!! Also, get Max Payne 2 if you can. They are both top notch, distinctly magnificent titles. Play the first one for the introductory cool experience, then the second one for an even more loaded and graphically richer time (exquisite use of physics, challenging level design, much more wickedly hyperrealistic photorealistic graphics, and a stunningy femme fatale to boot).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-09-2004, 02:08 AM   #4
Evil Webmaster

Heh, the only title that finally came out of the infamous 3D Realms trilogy 'Duke Nukem Forever-Prey-Max Payne'. And probably the most hyped game of the last years, along with Half-Life and such stuff.

It's an okeish kind of shooter, with good ideas along the way, some great voices to go with and nice graphics. It will only last a weekend, if you play slowly, so enjoy it while you can.
So there you go
Old 08-09-2004, 06:44 AM   #5
No justice. Only me.

Very little replay value, in my opinion, but it's still a fun game while it lasts. I borrowed it from a friend, played through it in a weekend, then gave it back to him.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:02 AM   #6
Mostly absent

You should definitely buy both MP1 and MP2. Both contain great graphics, nice physics, an interesting story and wickedly good characters (with tremendously good voice acting).
Oh, and they're made in Finland.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:54 AM   #7
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Yes, you should definately buy both Payne games.
Like right now.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:15 AM   #8
Master of Time and Space

Hell yeah! Play the first two and then pray to god for MP3.
After playing the first one I thought the sequel wouldn't rise up to it's height. Surprise! Max Payne 2 was better than the original. It's great in every part: the story is great(it felt like Tarantino and Lynch both wrote it. Actually the writer is Sam Lake, non other than the face of Max Payne in MP1); the graphics are phenomenal, the sound (voice acting, guns) is amasing, and the gameplay is innovative for an action game.
The only disadvantages are the games' length (but it's never boring) and the lack of multiplayer (which was hard to implement).

I heard somewhere on these forums that there isn't going to be a MP3. That's a lie, right? .... RIGHT?
If it's true, I'll feel like after finding out there's no Santa...
Playing: Omikron: The Nomad Soul Next: Sanitarium Replaying: QFG IV: Shadows of Darkness, Grim Fandango, Syberia Waiting for: Max Payne 3, Deus Ex 3, American McGee's OZ, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Fahrenheit, Anachronox 2 (if they ever make it)
Old 08-09-2004, 10:39 AM   #9

I agree Max Payne 1 + 2 are very good games, high production values, great voice acting, great story. One of the more mature (in terms of tone and atmosphere) games i've seen in a while.

I read somewhere that Remedy said that there would definately be a Max Payne 3, though i'm not to sure when.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:57 AM   #10
The Reggienator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Boots
I heard somewhere on these forums that there isn't going to be a MP3. That's a lie, right? .... RIGHT?
If it's true, I'll feel like after finding out there's no Santa...
Ok...

Once again, Remedy has said that there will almost definately be a Max Payne 3, but most likely they won't be doing it. (Remedy wants to explore new game horizons, which is a good thing, because I myself don't want them to get stuck with the Max franchise.)

The rights are owned by Rockstar/Take2.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:04 PM   #11
Master of Time and Space

Well, if rockstar makes the sequel the plastic bag would become Max's favourite weapon, and a special feature would be slo-mo-eye-extraction.
I just hope Sam Lake does the story on the third one.
I am looking forward to Remedy's future games.
Max Payne's journey through the night will continue...
Playing: Omikron: The Nomad Soul Next: Sanitarium Replaying: QFG IV: Shadows of Darkness, Grim Fandango, Syberia Waiting for: Max Payne 3, Deus Ex 3, American McGee's OZ, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Fahrenheit, Anachronox 2 (if they ever make it)
Old 08-09-2004, 01:41 PM   #12
The Reggienator

Yes I'm also hoping that Sam Lake will be involved in the making of Max3.

Remedy or Rockstar said that the next Max game won't come in the near future, propably in 2007 the earliest.

Old 08-09-2004, 03:06 PM   #13
merely human

THIS JUST IN:

Quote:
"Take 2 Interactive has just announced the next title in the Max Payne series, Max Payne: An Interactive Adventure, to be released in 2006. As of yet there is no word on the specifics of the game, but Take 2 has mentioned that it will use a first person point-&-click node based engine and will feature slider puzzles and some tennis style boss fights. Also mentioned are the return of key characters Mona Sax and that unnamed mumbling homeless black man from the Max Payne 2 apartment levels. There are also rumours that an original soundtrack will be composed by pop idol Barry Manilow, as well as the character voices being done by the actors from the North American version of the adventure game The Watchmaker. When asked about the game franchise's trademark Bullet Time, a Take 2 spokesman replied, 'Man, you gotta see it in action! Looks ten thousand times better in point-&-click on that node engine. I mean, it 0wnz teh ass!!'"

There are also unconfirmed rumours that Max Payne: An Interactive Adventure will be console exclusive.
news article, Lamespot.com, 8/7/04
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-09-2004, 03:41 PM   #14

Default Great Reactions to my post!.

Thanks everyone, for encouraging me to buy the game, and it's sequel. I am definitely planning to buy the games sometime soon. But, unfortunately, now is not a good time for me to buy the game because something I did last night greatly angered my mother (yes, that's right, I do live with my parents.)

To put it shortly, I lost something important for what was the second time in a row. It was a gift certificate that my sister sent to me from Amazon.com. as a present. Annoyed that I lost it again, I decided to buy the game and two other DVD's: Hellboy, and "A Better Tomorrow" (it stars Chow-Yun Fat). That was a mistake, so now I am going to have to apologize to my sister for doing that.

So, for right now, I decided to hang onto the DVD's because I really wanted to buy them, and take Max Payne off the list. I know this sounds silly, but the price costs a little bit less than it was before. But, I will be planning to buy Max Payne later this year, and maybe even it's sequel, too. Thank you all for the great recommendations. and I promise I will let you know when I plan to buy the game.

P.S. By, the way, Intrepid, that press release you quoted was false, was it... Please tell me it was!
Old 08-10-2004, 03:01 AM   #15
Life and times of...

Of course it's fake

Heh... Sam Lake... Had to translate his name...

Quote:
Hey everyone, I've been doing some Internet shopping this weekend, to see if there are any new action games I want to buy, and I think I have found what will be my next purchase. The game is called "Max Payne." It's a 3rd person shooter game that's been critically acclaimed by the critics, and the reader reviewers for Amazon.com seemed to really like it. So, I installed the demo from one of my demo discs from PC Gamer, and then started the demo.
OK, that part sounds like you'd really mean that no one would know the game well... And you really need to buy the games, even if you had an argument with someone...
Old 08-10-2004, 03:23 AM   #16
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Boots
(it felt like Tarantino and Lynch both wrote it...
WOW! Ehm.. No.

The story is pretty decent, yes, but great. Nah. And the dialogue is pretty pretentious what with Max Payne uttering metaphors in each line.

That said, buy them both. The first one is getting a bit dated, but they're both great.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:36 AM   #17
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack
...unfortunately, now is not a good time for me to buy the game because something I did last night greatly angered my mother....and take Max Payne off the list.
You moron.

Quote:
P.S. By, the way, Intrepid, that press release you quoted was false, was it... Please tell me it was!
Old 08-10-2004, 06:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
You moron.

Yes, I guess I am a Moron after telling everyone that. I do however have some great news. The gift certificate that I lost on my Compuserve was actually taken off the Old Mail section and stored somewhere else, AND MY MOM FOUND IT TONIGHT!. So now, I can buy the two games anytime I want. Is that cool or what?!.

By the way, Intrepid, Stop looking at me like that. I should've known that was a dumb question to ask. Thankfully, that guy, Uptimist, said that press release was fake after all.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
Of course it's fake

Heh... Sam Lake... Had to translate his name...

OK, that part sounds like you'd really mean that no one would know the game well... And you really need to buy the games, even if you had an argument with someone...
No, Uptimist, I didn't have an argument with someone, I;m juts currently in a state where I want to play something new, and the PC Gamer review of Max Payne intrigued me. So, that's why I decided to run the demo. That's what I was saying. I'm sorry if I confused you about what I said earlier.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:17 AM   #20
Life and times of...

I knew that... So what was that stuff about your mother then? Just wanted to give an insight to your life?