You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General "May the Force be with Trep" (Jedi Knight II)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2004, 08:24 AM   #61
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by log p
i played through on the dark side as a female named Mona Skycleavage...whiny Carth got his in the end
Dammit, man, SPOILERS!!!
Old 08-20-2004, 08:26 AM   #62
i'm with... <thud>

what i meant to say was...

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
ALERT ALERT ALERT

whiny carth got his in the end...if you catch my drift and i think you do
Old 08-20-2004, 08:30 AM   #63
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by log p
what i meant to say was...

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
ALERT ALERT ALERT

whiny carth got his in the end...if you catch my drift and i think you do
Yeah, I do. And thanks SO much for telling me the ending to the dark side storyline.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:32 AM   #64
i'm with... <thud>

perhaps its not the end...but merely an aberration in the time space continuum...and there is always many other aspects of the dark side story...such as

edited for spoiler content
Old 08-21-2004, 02:45 AM   #65
merely human

Finally saw a trailer for KOTOR2. I can't really tell how it looks to be in gameplay, other than graphically it looks less attractive than Jedi Knight II. The characters look blocky, heavy, and outdated.

CR, is the first KOTOR better played on PC or Xbox? How exactly is the RPG skill system implemented, do you have to do the typical allocation of points to various skills and such?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-21-2004, 07:57 AM   #66
i'm with... <thud>

i wouldnt worry about KOTOR 2 looking underwhelming or anything...in fact i wouldnt worry about it at all at this point...the first KOTOR looked blocky and moved at a snail's pace up until several months before its release...Fable was condemned at E3 this year for the same reason...if its a game from a high quality company you can pretty much count on these problems being rectified by the time it ships...exceptions do occur...for instance, i didnt have much interest in Driver 3 anyway but i love reading some of the reviews of it...apparently it is terrible and the best written game reviews are about games that blow the big one
Old 08-23-2004, 05:44 AM   #67
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Finally saw a trailer for KOTOR2. I can't really tell how it looks to be in gameplay, other than graphically it looks less attractive than Jedi Knight II. The characters look blocky, heavy, and outdated.

CR, is the first KOTOR better played on PC or Xbox? How exactly is the RPG skill system implemented, do you have to do the typical allocation of points to various skills and such?
I haven't played the Xbox version, but from what I can tell from reading various personal accounts online, the PC version at least has more intuitive controls. And they have polished the game a bit more for the PC as well. (e.g. Fewer doppleganger NPCs.)

I think the reason that I dislike the inventory system so much, though, is that it's held over from the Xbox version. It's pretty simplified from a controls standpoint, but ironically that makes it harder to use on the PC.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:13 AM   #68
merely human

[blatantly shameless pimping] My review of JKII's now up at Idle Thumbs:

Quote:
That a lightsaber in your pocket or are you just glowing to see me? Let's decorticate a bit and see how this digital romp in the Star Wars playground figures out.
[/blatantly shameless pimping]
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-05-2004, 12:15 AM   #69
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Read it! Read the Thumb!

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-05-2004, 12:16 AM   #70
merely human

LMAO

Evan's gonna chase our asses outta here!
Old 09-05-2004, 12:17 AM   #71
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Nah, man, it's cool. Check out my avatar. I'm with the band.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 09-05-2004, 02:07 AM   #72
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
is the first KOTOR better played on PC or Xbox? How exactly is the RPG skill system implemented, do you have to do the typical allocation of points to various skills and such?
It looks better on the PC if you set it up right, if you go too high res though the interface gets a bit small. The 'map' is just as useless on the PC as on the xbox. It doesn't play any different though.

Stat/RPG wise Kotor is too easy, its so easy you can tell it to level up for you and it will do a decent job. Because the game is easy. Spend a little time 'levelling' up in KOTOR and you'll realise the game requires very little of your attention. Pick a soldier or a scoundrel, pick a guardian or a consular. Middle ground is pointless, ignore it. A damn shame because scouts have the coolest outfit right down to their underwear. I played through the whole game as Coffy, a black female scout in just her 1970s swimsuit)

The only stats you need worry about are dex, wisdom and a tiny bit of charisma. If you're a good guy you should play a saber monkey (dex), if you're a bad guy you should play as a force blaster (wis/cha). But you don't have to, because the game is easy. It could almost be an adventure game if not for the absolute lack of inventory puzzles and annoying (too easy and too frequent) fight scenes.

I have high hopes for Kotor 2, and not one of them is remotely related to how the game looks. I couldn't give a rats arse how blocky some npc's face is so long as I get to actually use skills to decent effect and have a grab bag of more interesting force powers... all signs point to 'YES' so far.