You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Games similar to "Quest for Glory"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 08:31 AM   #1

Default Games similar to "Quest for Glory"

Recently I started playing Quest for Glory and found it imensely enjoying...and I was kinda wondering if there are any similar games to it. I know that there is a remake of Quest for Glory 2 by AGD (and I will download it once it comes out) and that there are 3 other Quest for Glory Games. But I am wondering if there are any other games, possibly made by another studio that have similar gameplay.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:58 PM   #2
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

I don't know. QFG has a pretty unique blend of RPG and adventure elements. The only thing that comes to mind is Hero6, which is a fanmade game that's being made to be like QFG.

mag
Old 08-03-2004, 04:12 PM   #3
Master of Time and Space

Sorry to go on about my obsession, but Anachronox is the only other adventure/RPG I played. The thing is, it's sci-fi rather than fantasy, and the fighting is turn-based, but the humour is in its place, though it can be serious at times (actually the comedy/drama reminded me of QFG4).
Old 08-03-2004, 07:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
I don't know. QFG has a pretty unique blend of RPG and adventure elements. The only thing that comes to mind is Hero6, which is a fanmade game that's being made to be like QFG.

mag
Hero 6 has been in the making of decades....I heard Shadowrun was like a RPG adventure game though.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:58 AM   #5
Evil Webmaster

Since I'm an ex worshiper of the QFG series, I've been thinking about some games similar to it... well... I don't know.

As for Shadowrun, it is quite interesting as a Rpg, but the Snes and MD versions are quite different. The Snes one is more open ended, and harder to play, MD is more like a C64 adventure and easy to play until you have done 4/5 battles. I don't know if it exists for the PC, but I think not.
So there you go
Old 08-04-2004, 05:12 AM   #6
bitwise xor

I really loved QFG aswell. I haven't come across any actual adventure games like it since though unfortunately.

But in many ways IMO Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 have a lot in common with it. Its just where QFG comes at it from the 2d point and click adventure game direction, Gothic comes at it from the 3d third person, over the shoulder camera, rpg direction.

There is a demo for Gothic 1 here http://www.3dgamers.com/games/gothic/ if you want to check it out.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:04 AM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

I find the Final Fantasy games to be sort of similar. There are adventure elements and turn-based combat, same as in the QfG games.

I have only played QfG1 but I have all the others. I'm waiting for the remake to come out before I continue with the series. I'm too lazy to deal with text parsers.

emily
Old 08-04-2004, 02:21 PM   #8
Babbling as Usual

I love the Quest for Glory games... but they are really quite unique as far as adventures go.

If you like the "use it to learn it" RPG mechanic, you might want to try out Morrowind, which uses a similar paradigm for statistic growth. It's less "adventure-y" in the inventory sense, but it does have a lot of quests and character interaction.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I find the Final Fantasy games to be sort of similar. There are adventure elements and turn-based combat, same as in the QfG games.

I have only played QfG1 but I have all the others. I'm waiting for the remake to come out before I continue with the series. I'm too lazy to deal with text parsers.

emily
I first played Quest for Glory 4 and 1/2 and found it very funny and enjoyable. That was 2 years ago. Four days ago I decided to start again since I heard that the remake of Quest for Glory 2 was near completion and I wanted to build a character. By the way Emily you can play QFG 4 and a half before you play QFG 2.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:35 PM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Maybe I'll take a look at that one (Quest for Glory 4.5). I've heard about it but don't know too much about it. I replayed QfG1 (the VGA version) last year and I have my character saved to put into the AGDI remake. I'm planning to play all the games in order once the remake comes out.

emily
Old 08-04-2004, 08:38 PM   #11

After some searching I found:
The review is written by the Underdogs.
"Shannara"
Quest for Glory creators Corey & Lori Cole to work on a game based on Terry Brook's best-selling fantasy novels was a match made in heaven. You are Jak Ohmsford, son of Shea (the novels' hero), who must seek the sword of Shannara to vanquish evil warlock Brona. Puzzles are easy but fair, with the best ones being those that require help from your teammates. Gripping story and puzzles will keep you playing to the very end. Highly recommended, but be warned: puzzles closely follow the novel's storyline, so if you have read the books, you'll likely find the game far too easy. Overall, one of the best fantasy adventure games ever made, despite a predictable plot. Two thumbs up!
Old 08-04-2004, 10:16 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Being a Coles fan, I played Shannara, but only briefly. I thought it was a bit boring though. Still, I may give it a second chance someday.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:33 PM   #13

Shannara is a decent game and there are some things in it that reminds me of Quest for Glory. It's well worth a try (I finished it for the first time earlier this year), but it's unlikely to grab you like the QfG-series did.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
Shannara is a decent game and there are some things in it that reminds me of Quest for Glory. It's well worth a try (I finished it for the first time earlier this year), but it's unlikely to grab you like the QfG-series did.
Did those guys, the Coles, made other games? What are they doing now?