Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Crazy lawyer bent on destruction (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/4137-crazy-lawyer-bent-destruction.html)

bigjko 08-03-2004 03:42 AM

Crazy lawyer bent on destruction

Jack Thompson, a Florida attourney, is bent on destroying Rockstar for the teenager that went on a rampage under the influence of Manhunt.

Read this interview with him.

Quote:

GD: What is the ultimate goal here?

Thompson: To destroy Rockstar.

GD: What does that mean in terms of…

Thompson: (cutting in) So they don't exist anymore.

GD: How are you going to seek to do that?

Thompson: By taking all their money. It's very simple. You wipe someone out economically, they don't have any assets and therefore they cease to exist.
And he goes on to declare that Doug Lowenstein, president of the Entertainment Software Association:

Quote:

...makes Saddam Hussein look like a post-reformed Pinocchio.
Wow. Is this guy joking, or is he mad?!

ragnar 08-03-2004 04:20 AM

Unfortunately I'm afraid it's the latter.

Tanukitsune 08-03-2004 04:27 AM

Good grief, this is like suing MC Donald for making people fat...
I guess he just wants attention, or maybe it's "in" to sue Rockstar... :rolleyes:

pleto4_ryan 08-03-2004 05:22 AM

OH GOD. Human stupidity

THE HORROR THE HORROR :crazy:

Marek 08-03-2004 06:09 AM

Oh no, not Jack Thompson again........ :frusty:

The Seed 08-03-2004 08:03 AM

I saw a BBC documentary a while ago about Vice City. It featured some crazy American lowyer claiming he was on a mission from god to get Vice City banned. He even sang a song about it. May well have been the same guy.

Intrepid Homoludens 08-03-2004 12:40 PM

And I am on a mission from God to call Jack Thompson and people like him morons.

Jake 08-03-2004 01:01 PM

We need to start an online petition to have him brutally murdered.

Intrepid Homoludens 08-03-2004 01:18 PM

And then blame it on a video game? Wouldn't that be predictably redundant? :D

Jake: "I blasted the motherfooker away with my shotgun. The Longest Journey made me do it."

nordic_guy 08-03-2004 01:34 PM

He should kill 'em and claim that Manhunt made him do it. :D

Sly Boots 08-03-2004 03:09 PM

If it weren't for the Max Payne series (can't wait for #3), I wouldn't care if Rockstar stepped into non-existance.

Ninja Dodo 08-04-2004 01:21 AM

GTA is a good game though.... funny in a very cynical way, and slightly annoying in that it's well nigh impossible to not run people over with your car, but it's a good game.

custard 08-04-2004 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sly Boots
If it weren't for the Max Payne series (can't wait for #3), I wouldn't care if Rockstar stepped into non-existance.

Rockstar don't even make it.. Remedy do

bigjko 08-04-2004 03:30 AM

Yeah, but Rockstar own Take Two who publish Max Payne 2, if I remember correctly.

timcclayton 08-04-2004 03:38 AM

A quick search on the net throws up this website: www.stopkill.com
whose purpose "is to give you the means to contact Miami attorney Jack Thompson if you know of someone harmed as a result of violent entertainment, including violent video games." but I don't know if he would listen to reason!

I for one have played GTA 3 + Vice City, mown down countless pedestrians, sat on rooftops sniping at innocent passers-by and killed many virtual cops, but for some strange reason I've never had the craving to go out and do it for real - perhaps because I can separate reality from virtual reality.

I personally think his time would be better spent attacking the NRA and shops/websites that sell to underage buyers rather than taking away most people's freedom to play these types of games.

Kolzig 08-04-2004 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by custard
Rockstar don't even make it.. Remedy do

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjko
Yeah, but Rockstar own Take Two who publish Max Payne 2, if I remember correctly.

Remedy=developer
3D Realms=producer
Rockstar/Take2=publisher

And most likely Remedy won't do Max 3

And Rockstar/Take2 owns the rights for the franchise, because Remedy sold the rights.

CrimsonBlue 08-04-2004 08:52 AM

I DO believe violent videogames can make people kill. I want to kill Jack Thompso and people like him.