You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Psychonauts Gets Publisher, Possible Release Date

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2004, 05:37 AM   #1

Default Psychonauts Gets Publisher, Possible Release Date

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=1208

Quote:
Psychonauts, the oft-delayed Xbox platformer from Grim Fandango creator Tim Schaffer, may finally see release, at least according to Electronic Gaming Monthly. Rumor has it that developer Double Fine has recently found a new publisher for their ambitious title, and are planning to have it out sometime in February of next year.

Previous publisher Microsoft Game Studios decided four months ago to end it's publishing agreement with Double Fine, without a specific reason.

The game stars Raz, a boy who wants to join a group of mind invading psychics called the Psychonauts, but first must prove himself by using his own powers at a pyschic academy of some sort where he'll need to solve a variety of puzzles and problems using brute mental force, sometimes inside the minds of his own classmates. Expect to be up against some pretty twisted mind critters.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:56 AM   #2
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

IGN, on the other hand:
Quote:
Tim Schafer's idiosyncratic, psychotic and dreamy action-platform hybrid is still in the works, and as we have last learned, it's far from dead. At E3 we saw Mr. Schafer, and since then we've learned he's been shopping the game around to several publishers. Who's picked up the game? As far as we know, no publisher has yet signed any papers, but the bidding process can be complicated. We should hear something more on Psychonauts this fall.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:26 AM   #3

I just hope that, as Microsoft is out of the picture now, the game will come for the PC (and possibly the PS2) as well. An Xbox game is about as useful for me as a Spectrum game on a cassette.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:35 AM   #4
A Servicable Villain

That first link misspelled Shafer's name. How hard can it be? Apparantly, mindbogglingly so.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:50 PM   #5
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
That first link misspelled Shafer's name. How hard can it be? Apparantly, mindbogglingly so.
Flux

It isn't the first time someone has misspelled his name and surely not the last time either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
I just hope that, as Microsoft is out of the picture now, the game will come for the PC (and possibly the PS2) as well. An Xbox game is about as useful for me as a Spectrum game on a cassette.
I want that to happen as much as you, but sadly it's not very likely to happen. But one can always dream of course...
Old 07-24-2004, 01:47 PM   #6
A Servicable Villain

Mattsius, that's what I was saying: the very multitude at which Shafer's name is continually misspelled must drive the poor man insane.

Which would only benefit him in his mad, MAD writing of course
Old 07-24-2004, 02:21 PM   #7
comfortably numb

It must really piss Tim Schaffer to have his name continuously misspelled - I mean, how hard can it be to spell 'Shafer'? It's not nearly as daunting a task as writing Lucas arts. But perhaps the ex-Lucasarts employee Tim Schaeffer doesn't really exist but is rather a collective of people working under the name of Schafrer, formerly a Lucas-arts game designer?
Old 07-24-2004, 03:08 PM   #8

Um.., it's Schafer. with a C.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:25 PM   #9
comfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRAA
(I knew that, if your post was directed at me.)
Old 07-24-2004, 11:13 PM   #10
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Welcome to sarcasm.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 07-25-2004, 12:03 AM   #11
Doctor Watson

Quote:

It does havea C. Look, he wrote "Schaeffer".
Old 07-25-2004, 02:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius

I want that to happen as much as you, but sadly it's not very likely to happen. But one can always dream of course...
I guess it depends on the publisher. The next Oddworld game was also supposed to be an Xbox-exclusive, but once EA got into the picture, they announced a PS2 version too.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:34 AM   #13
some may call me tofu

Send a message via AIM to guybrush122

I agree with the PC and PS2 comment. A game only for Xbox is like reserved parking spaces. You're not allowed to get one unless you pay big, plus a car, and like a sore kid on a thursday night trying to snatch a chicken cutlet from the barbeque with his bare hands, grandmother watching, scolding with her dark eyes, you get slapped on the wrist everytime you change the license plate and chrome finish. Reserved parking spaces. The sweet smell of corruption. Bastards.

...erm....sorry. I've been reading and watching a lot of Noir lately. It's been affecting my life. Like a deadly paranah waiting in the murky depths of the freshwater lake for a drop of blood or any sign of human flesh to pounce on and tear away, like a carnival clown trying to tear the cotton candy off the stick with nothing but a snorkel and five Canadian coins, trotting along the dark and dismal twists and turns of circus Hell, alone and aware, ready to....

....ahem....sorry.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:43 PM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to Jakek Send a message via AIM to Jakek Send a message via MSN to Jakek Send a message via Yahoo to Jakek

This seems like a rumor, simply because it hasn't been mentioned even offhand on the Double Fine Action News page. You'd think with so much there SOMETHING would be said.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:45 PM   #15
guybrush_guy

yes, but rumors have to start someware. it could be hint that double fine is doing well in the search for a publisher

Old 07-26-2004, 01:04 AM   #16

IF it's true, who do you think the publisher could be?
Old 07-26-2004, 03:05 AM   #17
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus
IF it's true, who do you think the publisher could be?
I bet its Interplay! Double Fine are busy working the fallout license into the game now.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:16 AM   #18

Maybe Ubisoft...
Old 07-26-2004, 04:29 AM   #19
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakek
This seems like a rumor, simply because it hasn't been mentioned even offhand on the Double Fine Action News page. You'd think with so much there SOMETHING would be said.
I think it's virtually certain that they've found a publisher, even though they're not announcing it. You don't really hire new people when you're back to self-funding. If you don't have a publishing deal you tighten your belt and try to make due with what you've got, which is clearly not what they're doing.

Instead, they're looking for producers, testers and programmers with multi-platform experience, which are all good signs. Those are exactly the kinds of extra people you can use to turn your giant ball of cutscenes and level designs into a packaged product.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
I think it's virtually certain that they've found a publisher, even though they're not announcing it. You don't really hire new people when you're back to self-funding. If you don't have a publishing deal you tighten your belt and try to make due with what you've got, which is clearly not what they're doing.

Instead, they're looking for producers, testers and programmers with multi-platform experience, which are all good signs. Those are exactly the kinds of extra people you can use to turn your giant ball of cutscenes and level designs into a packaged product.
While I'm sure they know who will probably be publishing it, I don't believe that they have actually finalized and signed the contract yet.