You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2004, 11:53 AM   #81
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
I also really like how there are so many good-looking engines that are being released now: Doom 3 (based on the Quake 3 engine)...
No, it's not based on Q3 engine, it's kinda built from scratch.

"The engine is being completely rewritten, just piece-by-piece. Currently, the renderer, shader system, and game code are completely new. The cgame and network code have been removed. The animation system is currently being written from the ground up. The sound system and UI are still in place, but will be rewritten by Graeme and Robert when they are finished with the mission pack. At some point along the way, John will probably write a new network system.

So, even though we are not starting out with a blank sheet of paper, the final result will be a full rewrite."
- Jim Dose , id software
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.

Last edited by Kolzig; 07-27-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:10 PM   #82
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
No, it's not based on Q3 engine, it's built from scratch.
My bad, I got that from an older news source. It said that instead of starting from scratch, Carmack used the older Q3 engine as a base and added a brand new rendering engine on top of that.

That plan must have been scrapped a while back.

So back to my original point, even better. The Doom 3 engine instead of the Quake 3 engine.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:19 PM   #83
guybrush_guy

aren't they also in the process of making a new engine for quake 4?
if they are, why wouldn't they just use doom's engine.

Last edited by guybrush_guy; 07-27-2004 at 02:18 PM.

Old 07-27-2004, 02:15 PM   #84

Just in case you guys missed this, the guys from Hardocp site conducted some benchmarks courtesy of id Software:

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy

From a general perspective, it looks to be that the game will be scalable on different tiers of systems...

Let's hope so anyway....
Old 07-27-2004, 02:42 PM   #85
guybrush_guy

i wonder how the game is going to run on older cards. if an X800 is only getting 30 FPS then i wonder how a Gforce 4MX or ATI equivalent will do

Old 07-27-2004, 03:41 PM   #86
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
i wonder how the game is going to run on older cards. if an X800 is only getting 30 FPS then i wonder how a Gforce 4MX or ATI equivalent will do
30 FPS isn't bad. Most games consider it a standard, and some have an option of maximizing your FPS at 30 to free up some processing power for other parts of the game. I think we're all a bit spoiled. And I never expected a Geforce 4MX to do well, did you? That's what I had before, and it's why I upgraded.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:22 PM   #87
guybrush_guy

Quote:
30 FPS isn't bad. Most games consider it a standard, and some have an option of maximizing your FPS at 30 to free up some processing power for other parts of the game. I think we're all a bit spoiled. And I never expected a Geforce 4MX to do well, did you? That's what I had before, and it's why I upgraded.

yep, that is true. most games on average run with 30fsp. i'm used to around 50-120 depending on the game. i aswell did'nt expect a 4mx to do well. i'm just wondering what the demage doom 3 will do to the card even if it's set on the lowest of settings.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:06 AM   #88
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray

I got an ATI Radeon X800 I believe it was with TV Out.

I shoulda gone with the 256mb ATI really...

Nevermind, graphx cards are easily upgraded.

My (not so well designed) bowling website, complete with pictures from our golden pin victory!

C'MON!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2004, 04:44 AM   #89
The Reggienator

WTF!!!

Is Creative blackmailing id?!?!

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewto...=14459&forum=9
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:30 PM   #90
merely human

Quote:
30-40 fps should be fine. I mean, the human eye can only register that far up. I've read posts from some hardcore gamers complaining about not being able to get up to 75 fps, and I'm thinking what stupid morons they are.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-28-2004, 04:53 PM   #91
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
30-40 fps should be fine. I mean, the human eye can only register that far up. I've read posts from some hardcore gamers complaining about not being able to get up to 75 fps, and I'm thinking what stupid morons they are.
the human eye can only registure up to 19 frames a sec, normal cartoon animation runs on 12 frams a second, your brain fills in the rest (kinda, but you know what i mean)

Old 07-28-2004, 07:24 PM   #92
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
the human eye can only registure up to 19 frames a sec, normal cartoon animation runs on 12 frams a second, your brain fills in the rest (kinda, but you know what i mean)
High-quality animation (a.k.a. Disney) is 24 fps, so I use that as a standard when setting display levels in games. If I get higher than that, all is well and good. Lower, and I might try lowering some graphical options.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:32 PM   #93
merely human

See? See? Even my estimate is over the threshold! Try telling that fact to those hardwhore gamers. It's just their excuse to show off their bleeding edge rigs and hardware. Geez!

Anyway, as much as I look forward to Doom 3, I really am looking much, much, much, much more forward to Half-Life 2.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-28-2004, 07:33 PM   #94
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Anyway, as much as I look forward to Doom 3, I really am looking much, much, much, much more forward to Half-Life 2.
Amen brother.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:05 AM   #95
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray

I've ordered Doom 3 but yeah...anticipation is higher for HL2 for me too.

Though, I am actually lookin forward to sh*tting myself while playing Doom 3!!

The atmosphere is supposed to be unparalled.

My (not so well designed) bowling website, complete with pictures from our golden pin victory!

C'MON!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 08:44 AM   #96
The Reggienator

The Official DOOM 3 [H]ardware Guide : id Software and HardOCP team up to bring you a real-world DOOM 3 hardware guide that will help you understand and maximize your DOOM 3 gaming experience.

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0

Quote:
Originally Posted by {H}ARD|OCP
NVIDIA versus ATI Image Quality:

We know that many of you are concerned with the image quality provided between these two manufacturers' video cards. In our evaluation, which consisted of swapping many video cards back and forth, we did not notice any differences in image quality between the cards at all. With both brands of cards, DOOM 3 was being presented exactly the way it was meant to.

Last edited by Kolzig; 07-29-2004 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:54 AM   #97

Quote:
aren't they also in the process of making a new engine for quake 4?
if they are, why wouldn't they just use doom's engine.
Raven is working on Quake 4 using the doom 3 engine, some other company will do rtcw2 and id will (finally) do something completely new, using the d3 engine, cuz they mentioned development time will be much shorter ( <-> doom 3 ) because of that. Guess John Carmack will work on a new engine, while the others work on that game...

Regarding the fps stuff: the human eye can perceive more than 220 fps. The US Airforce did some tests with pilots; showed them a picture of an aircraft flashing for 1/220th of a second, they could still see it. +/- 24fps is a lower limit to get the impression of animation. btw, in Quake 3, you can jump farther when you have higher fps, therefore most servers limit it to 125. This is of course some kind of bug.
Of course, your actual fps is limited by your monitor, if you have a tft @ 60Hz, you won't see more than 60 different frames a second. Well, if vsync is off, you can get mixtures of frames on your screen, and artifacts cuz the screen buffer is updating while displaying (that is if your fps > monitor's refresh rate. Vsync limits your fps to your screen's refresh rate, so no artifacts. I never use it, though).
When watching a movie with real actors the fps is less important, because you have motion blur which smoothes things out (press pause during an action scene when playing a dvd and you'll see)<-> 3D animation, unless they apply artificial motion blur.

Personally, I prefer a stable fps (e.g. 30-40 fps) instead of one that fluctuates a lot (e.g. 60-200), because then you start noticing it.

btw: I think id deserves more respect than valve, and I'm more excited about doom 3. Then again, I didn't like the original half life, and certainly don't share the opinion of some who think it's the greatest game of all time. Still, it looks also very promising
Old 07-30-2004, 12:37 PM   #98
No justice. Only me.

It's nice to see that id's finally going to try something new. I respect Raven as a development group, and hopefully they'll add some single player back into Quake, and prove to me that the Quake games haven't just become game engines with a game tossed in. (Quake III never seemed to me to have been severely overshadowed by Unreal Tournament.)

I'm surprised they're making Return to Castle Wolfenstein 2, because although RtCW was pretty good, it hasn't aged too well in my opinion. (I played it through again recently and I found myself getting bored.) Plus, I hope that's not the name they eventually release it under, (Return to Return to Castle Wolfenstein?)

And I seriously hope they give B.J. Blaskowitz some personality this time. I think id tried to pull a Gordon Freeman, but it doesn't work when you show the character in the cutscenes, and you just end up with a bland hero.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:07 PM   #99
The Reggienator

Splash Damage is making Return to Castle Wolfenstein 2.
They are the ones who made the superb Wolf:Enemy Territory.
Splash Damage is also making DM maps for Doom3.

John Carmack is developing the Doom3 technology further for the next id game.

Old 07-30-2004, 01:08 PM   #100

Quake IV is primarily a single-player focused game, rick johnson once said in an interview. There is some leaked concept art + renders on the web (still have them on my hd, but it's illegal to post). It looks more like quake 2 than 3 (but I only saw some enemies and vehicles), which is a good thing, I believe.

About rtcw 2 less is known. Todd Hollenshead accidentally mentioned it (at least that's what he said afterwards) in the g4techtv video (I posted the link for that on the previous page of this thread), but it's not known who'll develop it. It' s some 3d party developer, some say gray matter, others say splash damage, because they had a vacancy concerning a game in cooperation with id. Time will tell