You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2004, 10:20 AM   #61
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Well it's made by Chris Vrenna, what did you expect?

i would rather have trent resner him self. chris vrenna is a good producer but his best music is when he's pared with trent.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:06 PM   #62
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
His original composition for American McGee's Alice was no doubt a hiccup, then.
Hmm, I don't remember the musics in Alice, should I replay it or could you tell me?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:49 PM   #63
merely human

It was really good stuff, not the usual lyrical headbanger mash he usually churns out. That's all you need to know. And just to get you off my back, here's a little movie with a bit of the music.

Incidentally, this guy who was in love with me* ripped all the music from Alice onto 2 cds, just for me, as a courting gift. He even reproduced the artwork onto the discs. So fooking sweet of him, isn't it?

* I just HAD to tell you that to set the context. Mmph.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-20-2004, 12:51 PM   #64
No justice. Only me.

Overshare.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:07 PM   #65

Hmm, the Doom 3 music seems to be gone from Chris' site now. Anyone know if there's any alternative download sources?
Old 07-20-2004, 01:08 PM   #66
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
Hmm, the Doom 3 music seems to be gone from Chris' site now. Anyone know if there's any alternative download sources?

try the official doom website, i think they have it there

Old 07-20-2004, 03:29 PM   #67
merely human

So what's the deal with the Xbox version? Is it possible to hook up a mouse and keyboard to the console to play it that way? This should be a game my niece and nephew and I would want to play together so I'd rather play it on the big screen t.v., but I don't like playing first person shooters with a stupid console controller.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-20-2004, 07:21 PM   #68

Quote:
So what's the deal with the Xbox version? Is it possible to hook up a mouse and keyboard to the console to play it that way? This should be a game my niece and nephew and I would want to play together so I'd rather play it on the big screen t.v., but I don't like playing first person shooters with a stupid console controller.
I doubt it will use a keyboard and mouse BUT it will have a coop mode that the PC version won't have (but someone will make a mod for that anyway)
Old 07-20-2004, 07:45 PM   #69
guybrush_guy

it might use the keyboard...any standard USB keyboard can work in the X-box. considering it's a port from the PC version and X-box is pritty much a computer to begin with, the chances are pritty good

Old 07-20-2004, 11:20 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
try the official doom website, i think they have it there
Sadly, they only have the first 20 seconds there.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:02 AM   #71
The Reggienator

ftp://ftp.ngz-network.de/pub/121/10/...M3%20Theme.mp3

@Trep: Ahh that Alice trailer music was great, and now that I saw that trailer after so long time, I have an urge to play Alice again.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:24 PM   #72
The Reggienator

Trent Reznor speaks about Doom3

Old 07-21-2004, 03:21 PM   #73
guybrush_guy

that sux... hopefully trent does more games in the future

Old 07-22-2004, 08:21 AM   #74

Quote:
It was really good stuff, not the usual lyrical headbanger mash he usually churns out. That's all you need to know. And just to get you off my back, here's a little movie with a bit of the music.
Yup, Alice had one of the best soundtracks ever. They even released in on cd (you can still find it in specialized music stores). I still listen to some of the songs to this day (clockwork comes to mind).
Old 07-22-2004, 11:45 AM   #75

Quote:
Thanks a lot!
Old 07-23-2004, 05:33 AM   #76

There is a new G4techtv movie (yes, another one)... 18 minutes, basically a bit of id's history (w3D, doom 1+2, quake), interviews and a lot of ingame footage. I think this game is gonna rock, especially the animation is quite impressive.

www.doom3maps.de (and there are some mirrors on that site too) , +/- 70MB

edit: now there's a highres version on gamershell (3 avis in 1 zip) 142.6MB
http://www.gamershell.com/news/14312.html
never been so excited about a game

Last edited by Bird; 07-24-2004 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:35 AM   #77
The Reggienator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A. Duffy
In Ultra quality, we load each texture; diffuse, specular, normal map at full resolution with no compression. In a typical DOOM 3 level, this can hover around a whopping 500MB of texture data. This will run on current hardware but obviously we cannot fit 500MB of texture data onto a 256MB card and the amount of texture data referenced in a give scene per frame ( 60 times a second ) can easily be 50MB+. This can cause some choppiness as a lot of memory bandwidth is being consumed. It does however look fantastic :-) and it is certainly playable on high end systems but due to the hitching that can occur we chose to require a 512MB Video card before setting this automatically.
http://www.shacknews.com/finger/?fid...idsoftware.com

So it seems I'll be playing this game in max detail in 3-5 years from now.

Now that's a continuing game experience

Old 07-27-2004, 02:10 AM   #78
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray

Quote:
http://www.shacknews.com/finger/?fid...idsoftware.com

So it seems I'll be playing this game in max detail in 3-5 years from now.

Now that's a continuing game experience
WTF?!?!? Is a card of that capacity even AVAILABLE?!?!?

I literally just got a new machine yesterday, and have a 128mb graphx card in it (ATI, as they were standard issue), but the guy told me that the card I have is nearly equal to the 256mb that cost £200 more.

LOL - it's true, this brand new machine I haven't even received yet, is already out of date.

How ludicrous is that?!

My (not so well designed) bowling website, complete with pictures from our golden pin victory!

C'MON!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2004, 08:27 AM   #79
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotray
WTF?!?!? Is a card of that capacity even AVAILABLE?!?!?

I literally just got a new machine yesterday, and have a 128mb graphx card in it (ATI, as they were standard issue), but the guy told me that the card I have is nearly equal to the 256mb that cost £200 more.

LOL - it's true, this brand new machine I haven't even received yet, is already out of date.

How ludicrous is that?!
the card you recieved is identical to the 256meg. the only diffrence is the size of memory.

unless you have a 128bit,
a lot of people never consider this when they buy a card. if you bought a 256bit then you would see a world of diffrence.

i'm not sure about the whole $200 more, but i guess it depends on the card you bought. what card did you buy?

Old 07-27-2004, 09:20 AM   #80
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotray
WTF?!?!? Is a card of that capacity even AVAILABLE?!?
No, it's not. The system requirements to run Doom 3 at max visual settings won't be avalable to the general public for probably another year or two. Same with Half-Life 2, when it comes out, I hear. (I have the card that Valve used to show HL2 at E3, and even that isn't as good as the game can look, supposedly.) So your computer isn't quite as obsolete as you thought it was.

I believe that id basically crammed multiple top-end video cards and processors into individual machines so they could test the game at maximum settings.

Despite the unfortunate need to upgrade, it's nice that game developers are making games with such forethought and scaleable settings, so that it will be a longer time until the graphics in our games look "outdated." The Doom 3 and Source engines, (possibly Crytek as well, although less likely,) will probably improve to the point where they will be on par with the Unreal 3 engine when the latter is finally released. Didn't work like that with the original Half-Life, which came out near the end of the Quake 2 engine's lifespan and looked outdated within a few months. (Anachronox, of course, came out well after it was dead.)

I also really like how there are so many good-looking engines that are being released now: Doom 3 (based on the Quake 3 engine), Source, Unreal 3, Jupiter, and Crytek. Not to mention that Croteam is working on the next incarnation of the Serious engine for Serious Sam 2. I like how game developers have so many choices now if they want a pre-made engine.

Last edited by ConcreteRancor; 07-27-2004 at 09:31 AM.