You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2004, 09:44 AM   #41
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Todd Hollenshead has updated his .plan again!

Quote:
Name: Todd Hollenshead
Email:
Description: CEO
Project:
Last Updated: 07/14/2004 22:47:45 (Central Standard Time)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7-14-2004 10:19 PM CDT

A few bottles of champagne later (so excuse the typos)....

First of all, thank you to everyone who sent congratulatory notes on the GOLD announcement. I speak for
everyone at id when I say I wish I could respond to everyone personally, but hopefully this general note
can convey how much we sincerely appreciate the sentiment from everyone out there waiting for the game.

A few people have reminded me of some details omitted from my initial update:

Mac and Linux: Unfortunately I don't have dates for either of these. However, Linux binaries will be
available very soon after the PC game hits store shelves. There are no plans for boxed Linux games.
More remains to be done for the OSX version of DOOM 3 and that will take some time. We won't release
the OSX version until it's just as polished as the PC version. The date for OSX DOOM 3 remains "when it's
done", but I can confirm that it's definitely coming.

Demo: our priority was finishing the game first and now we are turning our attention to the demo. I
don't have any information to share regarding any specific content, but I don't believe that we have
ever disappointed in that regard in the past. We will release the demo as soon as it's done, but this
probably won't happen until after the game has arrived on U.S. store shelves.

Last, but not least, the id Store: we will have copies of DOOM 3 available, but only after we get them.
I'm sure that some of the hardcore game retailers will get them even before we do. Check our website for
updates on this. We certainly appreciate everyone who has helped to make the id Store a huge success this
year. By the way, more DOOM 3 T-Shirts just arrived, so those popular items are back in stock and will be
available this week.

I understand that people have lots and lots of questions. We're working on pulling together some form of
an official FAQ, but even though we're done we still have several responsibilities that are urgent as the
game heads for retail. Please bear with us on this.

I know I owe you those preparation tips, but they will have to wait until tomorrow.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:07 AM   #42
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunslingerOfEld
Hey, where did you order your X800 Pro? I'm trying to order the X800 XT, and no place has them yet, they've all said June! I'm hoping they have them at least before Doom 3 hits shelves. Not that I'll have the money just then to guy it, seeing as I'm dropping a crap load to update my video card!
Ordered it from Best Buy. Twice actually, and I'll tell you why. I ordered it first on June 25th for $420 including tax and shipping, and then when it still hadn't shipped by July 3rd (when it had said it would) because it was still backordered, I noticed that they were having a sale on them, and had dropped the price by about $40. So I cancelled my order on the 5th, re-ordered the card the same night, this time for $380, and it just arrived yesterday. If all goes well and I get the computer set up properly, I'll be playing Far Cry by 9:00 tonight.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:18 AM   #43
merely human

Wow, talk about orgasmic hype. You whores!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-15-2004, 01:26 PM   #44
Fum
Indegan Peningald

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
ATI proved that this statement was false, they even did demonstrations on how it's not possible and stuff like that. the head of ATI had an open chat on the website about it aswell open to any one with question a few months ago
Wow...I didn't think this place would ever grow so large as to have its very own ATI fanboy....

Read the PC Gamer review and give into the draw of the doom. Just because the game's marketing department has some loose ties to nVidia, this is no reason to miss out on the greatest game ever. Plus, ATI was caught doing many dirty tricks themselves back in the days when they were at the bottom.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:43 PM   #45
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fum
...Just because the game's marketing department has some loose ties to nVidia, this is no reason to miss out on the greatest game ever.
Greatest game ever? You already played it? Wow.

Quote:
Plus, ATI was caught doing many dirty tricks themselves back in the days when they were at the bottom.
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-15-2004, 02:26 PM   #46

So this thread is quickly turning into a battle of:
Doom vs. Half-Life II
and
nVidia vs. ATi

getting an ackward feeling of deja-vu

Ah well if you have to pick sides I'd go with ATi and HL2
Old 07-15-2004, 02:30 PM   #47
merely human

You're all a bunch o' whores!
Old 07-15-2004, 09:20 PM   #48
Fum
Indegan Peningald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Greatest game ever? You already played it? Wow.
Well, that depends on your outlook on time. I have calculated all the possible factors (I really did!), and have concluded that there is a 99.999% chance that I will play the game in my life, and therefore, in all probability, I already have played the game. ...Though, maybe I will be exaggerating the 'greatest game ever' part....
Old 07-16-2004, 06:37 AM   #49
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
So this thread is quickly turning into a battle of:
Doom vs. Half-Life II
and
nVidia vs. ATi

getting an ackward feeling of deja-vu

Ah well if you have to pick sides I'd go with ATi and HL2
I'm with you on this one.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:58 AM   #50
The Reggienator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
I'm with you on this one.
I'm not.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:06 PM   #51
merely human

Whores, I tell you! WHORES!!!

[patiently waits in a dark corner for the game to hit store shelves]
Old 07-16-2004, 02:47 PM   #52

I read somewhere that doom3 will contain some remake of q2dm1 (the edge), and that quake2's double jump will also be in it . The stuff about q2dm1 was in the pc gamer review (found scan) too.
I hope d3's multiplayer is more like q2 than q3 (stil play it ). In fact, I'm quite curious about the multiplayer.

guybrush_guy, nvidia still has the better linux drivers (i.e. they're just as good as the ones for windows, while ATi's linux drivers still lack performance).
And I sometimes experience rolling lines on my screen with my radeon 9700pro . No, personally, I also have more sympathy towards ATi, but I'll always buy the best card in terms of price/quality (=probably still ATi nowadays).

As for Doom3 vs. HL2; ID made all those great games, while Valve has only Half life (which I didn't like that much, probably because I played it a few years after the release), +/- everyone is claiming that HL2 will be the best game ever -> I'm inclined to support the underdog, i.e. doom 3. But maybe S.T.A.L.K.E.R. will kick both doom & hl's butt!

Anyway, this weekend I'll look at some hardware sites, time to upgrade!!!
Old 07-17-2004, 12:56 PM   #53

I'm excited about both games. If someone is a fan of first person shooters and is only interested in one of these games, then he's obviously not quite sane.

Right now, the one I'm looking forward to the most is Doom 3. Mainly because that's the one that's actually getting released first, but also a bit because I don't have the near-religious relationship with Half-Life that some gamers seems to have. I mean, it was a great game and all, but there are many 1st person shooters I've enjoyed more.

I don't quite know if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. should be compared to these two games. It's not really a first person shooter, more like a first person action/rpg. Or something..
Old 07-17-2004, 08:48 PM   #54

Well aren't well all just whores
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
I don't quite know if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. should be compared to these two games. It's not really a first person shooter, more like a first person action/rpg. Or something..
It should! It's in essence a first person shooter, but the story and gameworld are very dynamic, with various sub-quests (sub-quests! wee). I don't quite see why it shouldn't be compared. HL2 is definately trying to showcase its dynamic gameworld and, very much like S.T.A.L.K.E.R., its physics-based gameplay. And even Doom 3 features NPCs or so I hear. Granted, the game is best compared to something like Deus Ex, but that's no reason to box it up in a subgenre
Old 07-17-2004, 09:41 PM   #55
merely human

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is pretty much a tactical shooter with some RPG elements thrown in. It's much more complex in its gameplay than Doom 3. I wouldn't compare the two, they are ultimately apples and oranges. Doom 3 looks to have a very tight focus on a suspenseful and simple singe player experience - run, explore, find key, shoot. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. goes far beyond that, introducing the challenges of resource managment, strategic NPC relations, upgrading equipment and skills, even bodily maintenence like preventing hunger and thirst. Yes, in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. you must keep strong and healthy by hunting for food and water. Doom 3 won't offer that.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:31 AM   #56
The Reggienator

Listen to the FULL Doom 3 theme song here

http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus...20040718162555

Just click Tweaker Doom 3 Theme under the player on the right.

Old 07-20-2004, 06:11 AM   #57
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Listen to the FULL Doom 3 theme song here

http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus...20040718162555

Just click Tweaker Doom 3 Theme under the player on the right.
Not really my cup of tea, but pretty much the kind of music you'd expect in a Doom game. The game is still going to rock though.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:16 AM   #58
merely human

Hmm. Cliched, generic 13-year-old's headbanger riff. How typical. Next, please?
Old 07-20-2004, 10:14 AM   #59
The Reggienator

Well it's made by Chris Vrenna, what did you expect?

Classical music or pop hits?

It's acceptable stuff for the menu screen, but it's a good thing that that ain't playing in the background when you are actually playing the game.

Old 07-20-2004, 10:18 AM   #60
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Well it's made by Chris Vrenna, what did you expect?
His original composition for American McGee's Alice was no doubt a hiccup, then.