You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 06:03 PM   #21
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

This game will own very, very much. I don't care if you think those spiders or cherubs or imps or zombies 'look stupid', this game will be incredibly scary and athmospheric. It's gonna be a milestone in PC gaming.

Click for a FUN-FILLED wallpaper! (It's actually not very fun, more like pretty unsettling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
I just need to see what they've aemulated (not emulated, aemulatio)
Accumulated?
Old 07-14-2004, 06:42 PM   #22
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fool
Click for a FUN-FILLED wallpaper! (It's actually not very fun, more like pretty unsettling)
Ooh that's a great wallpaper. I am using it until the game releases.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:30 PM   #23
Junior Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to Krazy

DOOM 3 Eh? Personally I never liked DOOM very much I guess because of lack of plot it didn't really feel like I was doing anything. Just running around killing things for the sake of killing things.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fool
Accumulated?
Aemulatio, a latin term, similair to imitatio, but instead of imitation, this implies improvement on the previous work. I meant in general that I was curious to find out if playing this game now will beat me playing the original Doom at the age of nine late at night with headphones (Ok, so there were no surround effects back then; if you heard a monster, however, I'd be at the edge of my seat), I'm guessing, nothing can ever beat that level of scaryness.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:50 PM   #25
Fum
Indegan Peningald

guybrush_guy, you're not going to buy Doom 3 because nVidia, instead of ATI (because they already gave out all their cash to HL2), gave id a ton of cash so they can advertise their new card using the game's name? Wow...can I ask what ATI has done to earn this insane amount of loyalty?

I'm currently using an ATI card, but I would switch back to nVidia without hesitation if their next card proves to be better then the rest.

Jackal, at first glace (to most) this game will probably look like a bland remake of an outdated game, just with much improved graphics, but if you start reading articles about it, you'll realize the game actually looks to be pretty damn groundbreaking. They've admittedly taken away development recourses from the gameplay department, so the running and gunning and jumping style of excitement of many FPSs is going to be toned down quite a bit, but they turned their focus instead towards having an amazingly immersive storyline and environments, and if the rumor that PC Gamer (US, I think) gave the game a 94/100, then it would seem as though id succeeded.

If you hadn't guessed by now: I can't wait for this game!
Old 07-14-2004, 08:26 PM   #26
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fum
guybrush_guy, you're not going to buy Doom 3 because nVidia, instead of ATI (because they already gave out all their cash to HL2), gave id a ton of cash so they can advertise their new card using the game's name? Wow...can I ask what ATI has done to earn this insane amount of loyalty?
I used to have some respect for Nvidea untill the whole scam/cheat with 3dMark happend. When that happend i grew a hatred towards them. I have stuck with ATI since day one and choose to support them with 100% loyalty. the second HL2 comes out i'm going straight to the shelf to buy myself a copy. I used to be somewhat impressed with Doom but i lost interest when i found out it's marketed to boost Nvidea's sales

Old 07-14-2004, 09:14 PM   #27
Club a seal or two

I personally can't wait to play this game! According to the PC Gamer review, it's much more than just kill-monsters-find-keys-open-doors type of gameplay.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:04 PM   #28
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayel
I personally can't wait to play this game! According to the PC Gamer review, it's much more than just kill-monsters-find-keys-open-doors type of gameplay.
Is there already a review?? where?
Old 07-14-2004, 10:19 PM   #29
merely human

Finally. It's about time. Not that I was ever holding my breath.

Hope it's a good game like we all think it'll be.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-15-2004, 12:42 AM   #30
Burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
Nvidea's sales
No offense, but I noticed that you are not reading other postings. Correct spelling is "nVidia".
Old 07-15-2004, 01:30 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
I used to have some respect for Nvidea untill the whole scam/cheat with 3dMark happend. When that happend i grew a hatred towards them. I have stuck with ATI since day one and choose to support them with 100% loyalty. the second HL2 comes out i'm going straight to the shelf to buy myself a copy. I used to be somewhat impressed with Doom but i lost interest when i found out it's marketed to boost Nvidea's sales
psst...

ATI's Optimized Texture Filtering Called Into Question
Old 07-15-2004, 01:54 AM   #32
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Right, I'm going to make a prediction, which will almost certainly come true.

Doom 3 will look amazing.
Doom 3 will actually have rubbish GAMEPLAY.
Doom 3 will get 90%+ reviews anyway.
Doom 3 will become a best seller.
Robert Lacey will wonder what all the fuss is about.

It's a classic example of id making a game purely to sell an engine.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:25 AM   #33
recovering AG addict

http://www.johnromero.com/phpubb/viewtopic.php?t=2871

PC Gamer's review:

THE WORLD-EXCLUSIVE FIRST REVIEW

You've waited years. Now the wait is over. PC Gamer was the only publication in the world to review Doom 3 a split-second after id declared it "Done." We thought we were ready...

Turn out the lights. Get the surround-sound speakers in place. And say goodbye to sanity for the next 20-odd hours. The guys at id Software are famous for delivering a game "when it's done" - and we're here to tell you that Doom 3 is not only done, it's mind-blowing.

The game opens up with your arrival at Mars Research Facility of the massive United Aerospace Corporation. It's the year 2145, and you're a Marine newly assigned to the facility's security detail. For the first 15 minutes, you're not even issued a weapon - the action unfolds in a pace reminiscent of the opening of Half-Life, as you get oriented around the security building and watch some video primers on your new job and new home. In this opening act, you're familiarized with your Personal Digital Assistant, which will be your invaluable interface throughout the rest of the game. Using this handy gadget, you can download info from other people's PDAs as you come across them, adding codes, access keys, and emails that contain crucial information you'll need to progress through the 28 maps to follow. Here's what you really spend those first 15 minutes doing: gawking. This is your chance to absorb the full shock of magnificent graphics engine put to stunning use. The environments are huge-scale and packed with detail. The base is a convincing Mars Station - less a far-future design than a depressingly post-modern corporate park. It feels lived-in, too - from the skin mags scattered on the kitchenette tables to the nastiest in the public rest-room toilet bowls.

But no sooner do you get oriented with your gear - and with the very cool physics model that lets you rearrange just about any object in the place - then all hell breaks loose. Literally.

The base is hammered by a shockwave of satanic force, and immediately discover that almost everyone around you has turned into a flesh eating zombie - with a mindless devotion to snacking on you. Worse yet, the base has been invaded by a horde of nightmarish demons. Cut off from your fellow Marines (and stalked by some of their well armed zombie versions!), you've got only a comm link with your still human Sarge to steer you to safety

DOOM AND THEN SOME

For those expecting a "classic" run and gun Doom game play, the biggest surprise may be just how substantial this game is. If you try to blaze through any of these 28 missions you WILL be humiliated. Instead the only route to access is a slow and steady one, sticking to shadows, searching every nook and crany for health, ammo, and access keys, and generally advancing as methodically as you can.

You've also got to figure out what's happening. As you make your way through the different levels of the base, the pilot is revealed via the PDAs you pick up, and in brief conversations with the few NPCs who weren't "turned" by the satanic attack. To make your way through the inevitably sealed-off access doors between levels, you'll have to read through email that progressively reveals a conspiracy of apocalypse proportions - the nefarious scheme of psychotic Dr. Betruger, UACs chief scientist, who's perverted a teleportation to open up a portal into hell-like dimension. (Oh and if you didn't notice Dr. Betruger is also keen on transporting his hellion army to earth.)

Gear is an absolute premium. All the old Doom weapons are back, but preciously rationed, and with an ever dwindling supply of ammo for each. The shotgun is your basic in close sledge hammer, while the assault rifle is your best down hallway exchanges with armed zombie marines. The chain gun provides a heavy punch for those hectic occasions when you need to yell "LETS ROCKKKK!" The plasma rifle was my personal fav, dealin' streams of fiery blue death, although it runs out of ammo quickly. The rocket launcher scores devastating hits at a distance, while the stock pistol is suitable for minor enemies and desperate last stands. (And as for the BFG 9000 - you'll have to wait a bit before you get to arm it, but the wait is well worth it.)

But there's no need to worry that Doom 3 is as slow as Splinter Cell - hardly a minute goes by without a furious exchange of hostiles with some manner demonic beastie, imps, Hellknights, and Archviles are all back to shock and awe you with viscerally jarring attacks, and the endless stream of zombies and scuttling nasties gives you plenty to chew on (and chew up). The gallery of grotesquery is the product of almost limitless imagination for horrors - spiders that make your flesh crawl, infant "cherubs" mutated with fly wings, and other unnameable terrors that blight the corridors of the possessed base

TO LAUNCH A THOUSAND PC PURCHASES

Early in the game, you're tasked with sprinting outside the mars Facility ( with rapidly depleting air canisters) in search of the next airlock. It was here that i really started to notice what I was seeing was graphics superiority that not even current hot tech showcases like Far Cry could match. Dust blew around the Martian surface and the dull brown/red hue of the sand and the twisted metal of shredded structures all seemed so perfectly plausible.

Each girder, door, and window adds tangible substance to each scene, and even the effect of your flashlight shingling into a darkened corner looks ridiculously real - as the light floods through a room , swinging back and forth, shadows are cast perfectly; dust particles gently drift into the cone of the flash light , eerily visible. And these are just the basics of the environment: just wait until you enter the depths of hell, and dive into some of the later mass melees,\. Doom 3, with all due awareness of hyperbole, is the best looking game you've ever seen.

Not surprising you'll need a monster system to render these monsters in all their intricately textured glory. But the ability to play Doom 3 with all its visual magic maxed out is really a good excuse to trade up. A P4 3GHzwith a GeForce 5950- class card will see u through okay. One of our test systems had a GeForce 6800 ultra and ran flawlessly at 1024x 768 with high detail. (A higher level of quality and resolution is available , but the PC to run it well isn't) running with a geforce4 MX card and 512 Mb RAM, the texture detail was great, although the game was choppier in spots.

Bottom line: If Far Cry didn't convince you, then Doom 3 should - the time to upgrade to a next generation 3D chip , or even an all new rig, is now.

SOUND, FURY...AND SCARES

While I was expecting amazing graphics, it was the sound effects and sound design that had me reeling. Footsteps echo spookily down halls; monsters issue bloodcurdling shrieks; every hallway has an audible drip of menace and dread. Doom 3 is the reason to own surround sound speakers. The collective impact of sound design on the whole experience cant be overstated, adding to the urge to switch out ll th lights, close the curtains, crank up the volume, and let yourself be scared s***less.

And you will be jolted right out of your seat. I'm not going to spoil any of the socks here, but there were at least four occasions where I lunged back in y chair. Lead designer Tim Wiltis is inside your head like a psychologist - and just when he's let you think you can lower your guard, he sticks the psychic shiv right into your nervous system.

Even when the scares aren't heart stopping , there's a constant, simmering anxiety at each and every step. You basically subjecting yourself to a 20 hour cariac episode. At times, death brought sweet, momentary respite from the fear drenched mayhem.

The zombie plagued space station is creepy enough , but about mid way through the game you make a teleport raided detour to hell. The whole feel of the game changes utterly - if you thought you were in desperate straits before, you now find yourself in a balls shrivelling nightmare netherworld. (With no weapons!)

It's all leading up to a knees knocking climatic spelunk into the archaeological ruins beneath mars base where you enter a final showdown against evildoers amid the remnants of a fallen Martian civilization. As the massive fright lifter descends so agonizingly slowly into the darkness, you may find yourself as I did, cursing out loud at the grim hold this game has on you.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:25 AM   #34
recovering AG addict

Does Doom 3 have any missteps maybe just one; its attempts at humour feel way out of place. there are a few lame running gagas: PDA spam and an uber-nerdy string of emails between members of a role-playing club. (The spam gag actually becomes a puzzle that requires you jump out of the game and use you web browser to find a code. Huh?) In one appalling instance, you even even become privy in a tongue-in-cheek directive by arcvillian Dr. Betruger, advising hellions on the proper way to prepare virgin sacrifices. These limp jokes serve only to dump me out of the games carefully calibrated dread machine.

But no matter: The rest is all dynamite. Doom 3 took me 23 hours to complete on the medium difficulty setting. (For all those who rumoured that the game would be over in a few hours- you couldn't be more wrong.) And for those 23 hours, you will never experience a dull moment. Or even a less than mesmerizing one. Doom 3 is a masterpiece of art form - staying true to the frantic legacy of the Doom series, while ambitiously reaching new heights and bashing down the doors of the next generation of PC shooter. The bar is raised. Lets see someone else climb over it- Dan Morris.
Highs: Extraordinary graphics and sound; incredible tension, atmosphere, and mayhem.

Lows: Some stabs at humor fall a bit flat.

Bottom Line: Just as we'd hoped, it's a non-stop ride of tension, carnage and terror. A new classic.

Multiplayer:
1v1, DM, Team DM, and Last Man Standing. There are 5 DM maps shipping with the game.

94%

Jaap

covers pc gamer:
http://www.andresbecerra.com/ShackUp...er2-smitty.jpg
http://www.andresbecerra.com/ShackUp...GSeptCover.jpg

PS
moderators: please remove my post if they are not allowed!

Last edited by jaap; 07-15-2004 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:55 AM   #35

Doesn't "marketing Doom 3 to boost nVidia sales" actually depends on someone buying an nVidia card to play Doom 3?

If it is, can't see how buying the game without buying an nVidia card help nVidia much. I already have a more than powerful enough system, with an ATI card. I'm buying this game.

And I also doubt the game will actually play any better on an nVidia card.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:50 AM   #36
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I'm using a nVidia card right now, I have always wondered what's all this talk about which is better making cards etc.

I really think that the game will play as good on both cards. The same will happen with HL2, Ati is marketing it with their cards etc., but the game will play as good on both cards, otherwise it would be just plain stupid move on the developer's behalf.

I just use one of them, both firms make great video cards.
Numbers mean actually nothing to me in these cases.

It's kind of same when some 3d game is previewed and all that is talk about are the polygon counts etc. ughhhhh...

But Doom3 is looking so promising that I really can't wait to play it.

The groundbraking use of light and shadows, the superb sound world, and the feeling of the good old Doom. *but this time with a real plot*

What more could anyone want from a fps game.

It's going to be so frigging scary&athmospheric to play the game in a dark room, headphones on and the volume on maximum.

BTW, caution to everybody who reads that Pc Gamer review, it contains many spoilers about what surprises the game will have.

So if you want to have a total fresh game experience like what I'm going for, don't read it.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:20 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
Looks like guybrush_guy will have to become a loyal follower of Matrox now..
Old 07-15-2004, 06:25 AM   #38
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden

ATI proved that this statement was false, they even did demonstrations on how it's not possible and stuff like that. the head of ATI had an open chat on the website about it aswell open to any one with question a few months ago

Old 07-15-2004, 06:47 AM   #39
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Gamer's review
For those expecting a "classic" run and gun Doom game play, the biggest surprise may be just how substantial this game is. If you try to blaze through any of these 28 missions you WILL be humiliated. Instead the only route to access is a slow and steady one, sticking to shadows, searching every nook and crany for health, ammo, and access keys, and generally advancing as methodically as you can.
OK, now I'm feeling the lure. This is pretty much what I was hoping (but not expecting) to hear. Substance to go with the style? I'm in!

I'll have to stumble along with whatever settings my year-and-a-half old computer can handle, though.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:06 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
I personally couldn't really care either way. I'll go with whoever has the faster card at the time. This time ATI won out:

My new X800 Pro arrived today.

Hey, where did you order your X800 Pro? I'm trying to order the X800 XT, and no place has them yet, they've all said June! I'm hoping they have them at least before Doom 3 hits shelves. Not that I'll have the money just then to guy it, seeing as I'm dropping a crap load to update my video card!