You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Most. Overated. Game. Ever.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2004, 02:33 AM   #41
bitwise xor

Hello,

A few off the top of my head would be..

* Medal of Honour. Call Of Duty etc.
* Morrowind (The Elder Scrolls 3)
* Deus Ex
* Dungeon Siege

Medal of Honour. Call Of Duty -etc
------------------------------------
I found games like MOH and COD overrated based on how some people were explaining they thought they were getting some profound insight and experience of war from these simple arcade games. Which I find plain silly. It really irks me that so many go for the 'most intense war experience yet' line and there seems to be this massive obsession with war, particuarly wwII.

Morrowind (The Elder Scrolls 3)
-------------------------------
Because of morrowind I really look forward to The Elder Scrolls 4. But morrowind itself fell short IMO. In the end the world was just too dead and uninteresting. I never got the impression that I was in a 'another place', if you know what I mean, a feeling I got strongly with games like Gothic and Outcast. Most quests were a simple variation of 'goto cave y and get item x' or 'goto cave y and kill person x'. The npcs were 'interactive text information kiosks' rather than things with any life or personality. The world was lifeless.

Deus Ex
-------
I found this game to be overrated because I thought it was just a poorly put together game and fell short on its hype on 'choice' and 'emergent gameplay' etc. Poor production values, broken gameplay mechanics, and (for me) boring cliche conspiracy theory story didn't endear it to me.

Dungeon Siege
--------------
Shallow, repititive, boring rpg that almost plays itself. The game didn't even have any rewards in terms of interesting new areas, story or cinematics...it just went on and on and on.

I liked DialboI/II, at least diablo had polish (as per usual for blizzard), style and player invovlement at all times (even if it was just clickety clickety)...but Diablo was bad enough on the 'dumb' front. When games start playing themselves, you have to wonder what the point is.

I think morrowind and dungeon siege were overrated, especially given that quality alternatives like Gothic, Divinity and Arx Fatalis that came out at around the same time went largely ignored.

And I feel bad mentioning Deus Ex, because while I do think it was overrated, especially given how Mr Warren et al talked up the 'choice/emergent' stuff which I felt wasn't as succesfull as claimed, I would be very happy with more fps that weren't 'the norm'.

Old 06-15-2004, 08:13 AM   #42

Some of the games I can think of immediately:

- Medal Of Honour: Allied Assault and all silly and even less interesting sequels and expansion packs to that game.
- Halo.
- Dungeon Siege: this game just plain sucks. It's totally inferior to Diablo 2 in every aspect (except graphics maybe).
- Everquest. There are better MMORPG's out there, with a richer background story and a more interesting world. Everquest was at the right place at the right time: nothing more.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:36 PM   #43
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor
Full Throttle- just didn't do anything for me.
Grim Fandango- cute game, but don't think it was *that* good.
Damn, these are true classics! And GF is really great. guess it's different people, different taste...

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 06-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #44
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitwise xor
I found games like MOH and COD overrated based on how some people were explaining they thought they were getting some profound insight and experience of war from these simple arcade games. Which I find plain silly. It really irks me that so many go for the 'most intense war experience yet' line and there seems to be this massive obsession with war, particuarly wwII.
I agree about these games not showing how wars truly are, but do you think that anyone would like to play a game that is like real war? Actually, the more the graphics and sounds evolve, the more the developers should pay attention to the problem of FPS games becoming too real. But that discussion should belong in its own thread.
Anyway, I like war games, especially WWII war games. I don't know what it is in them that fascinates me, but there's definitely something.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:51 PM   #45

OMG! How dare you not like my favourite game?! :eek:

In a late reply to the point about Quake and Doom: Even if I had played them in their heyday of 'look-what-our-engine-can-do' awesomeness, I think the novelty would've worn off pretty fast. Their gameplay simply doesn't interest me and though they may have been technically impressive back then, they don't seem very interesting artistically. The same goes for Doom 3, really. For all its normal mapped polygons, it isn't beautiful like LBA is beautiful, like Grim Fandango is beautiful...

But maybe I'm just biased against subdued grey/red colour schemes...
Old 06-16-2004, 02:57 PM   #46
Lurking Myst Missionary

Ahhh, subjectivity
It all depends on what you find important in a game, for you to find something that lacks it overrated. And some of the overrated hyping about games has little to do with the actual game itself, and more about the marketing surrounding it. The Kewlest Game Evah won't get far, if the marketing for it sucks, and vice versa.

~Eleri
Old 06-17-2004, 01:50 AM   #47
Life and times of...

Most of you have been saying like my favorite games here...
-Fifa isn't overrated. It might not be as good as it could be, but it's not said it's better than it is. It's well known how good it is, and it's strenghts are aspects like easy to play etc.
-Halo... Well, I don't really know about the computer version. I saw a bit of it once... Looked worse than I had imagined, but on XBox, until the flood, in my opinion it's mostly just as good as some say. And the multiplayer aspects are excellent in it too.
-KotOR, well IMO it's great and very addictive, but I don't know what to say... And this I also have on XBox...
-Well Half-Life revolutionized the whole fps-scene (or at least showed the way to do it). Considered when it was done, it was unbelievably good. Until Xen...
-Splinter Cell... Again, I don't really know what to say... It's magnificent, and beautiful (I haven't played it on computer though).

These I agree:
-GTA, especially 3. It doesn't have a good story, it mostly sells because in it you get to beat people dead (and some buy it because of the music)
-Starcraft, never really had any interest. From what I've seen, I'm still not very interested.
-Diablo (II). In a very good gaming magazine I get, proved Diablo has all the death sins (I don't know what you call them). It's true. OK, maybe the game isn't that bad, but the players at least ruin the whole thing.
-Warcraft isn't IMO anything special, just the same rts.

Well, I must admit, not that they're very overrated, but a bit are The Sims and Grim Fandango...
Old 06-17-2004, 02:09 AM   #48

All my friends talked about how good Diablo II was. I bought some special version with all this additional junk in it and I regret that. Maybe I just didn't get the idea, but somehow I didn't find slicing those monsters at all interesting. Played it for a while and then left it in the corner to collect dust..
Old 06-17-2004, 02:17 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack
I'm with you too, LeChimp, but this is mainly about the demo for the Single-player game. I tried it, and was not impressed at all. It just felt like a typical First-Person Shooter game, and didn't even look original.

Other than that, I can't think of any games that I've played and thought were overrated. I need to play some more of my games just to figure it out.
You must be talking about the PC version of Halo. It's not good. It's basically missing the core soul of the game + bad movement controll. The xbox version totally rocked at it's time 3 years ago. But still not many games have succeeded in making a good game in all of its parts. Halo xbox version is a gem in my book.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:29 AM   #50
No justice. Only me.

1. Halo for sure. It's interesting to note that all the people who gush about it play the X-BOX version, and are CONSOLE gamers. I've played both X-Box and PC versions, and I think the PC version is better than the X-Box version, (WAY better controls,) but STILL isn't anything special. Hehehe. Those silly console gamers. "What's that? You had a great game of four-player deathmatch? That's nice. I played Capture the Flag with 32 people yesterday."

2. Starcraft. Good thing I live in the states, because if I was living in Korea I'd be fed to the wolves if I said that. I can't describe how much I HATE "Enemy-Starts-Much-More-Powerful-Than-You-And-Could-Crush-You-Instantly-If-He-Really-TRIED-To-Attack-So-You-Must-Build-A-Base-And-Slowly-Whittle-Away-At-Him" levels.

3. 007: Goldeneye. You can't freaking JUMP, for God's sake! Why was this game considered so good? I admit, though, that it did have the best multiplayer available for the N64.

4. CounterStrike: Half-Life was the best game ever. CounterStrike was decent, but people, it's time to move on.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:38 AM   #51
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitwise xor
One reason that WWII games are so popular is that in gaming, there are three staples of acceptable villains: aliens/mutants, zombies, and Nazis. (Return to Castle Wolfenstein had all three. WOOT!) If you fight anything that doesn't fall into those categories, you can expect some backlash.

I still can't believe that MOH: Rising Sun is so popular in Japan. Those people playing it over there are killing their GRANDPARENTS, for crying out loud!
Old 06-17-2004, 07:40 AM   #52
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
[...] it mostly sells because in it you get to beat people dead (and some buy it because of the music)
False. Your mind has been poisoned. Go outside and have a walk.

OK, jees, I'll actually attempt to support that with arguments even though I don't feel like it...
Remember that GTA3 has a very intoxicating mix of racing, shooting and various sidequests. People like it for the freedom it offers. Before you crap all over that: yes, the game has a pretty linear story. The freedom lies in the ability to switch 'modes' whenever you please. You can follow the storyline, or just leave that alone for a while and race around aimlessly, or attempt to get highscores with stunts, or go on a rampage. GTA3 and GTA:VC are brilliantly designed games and I don't really like it when people suggest that they were actually just a ploy by some grey marketing man who wanted to sell games with controversy alone.

So anyway... you might call GTA overrated. That's fine in my book, and probably even true. But I think you're really off the mark on why most people like it.

Last edited by Marek; 06-18-2004 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:54 AM   #53
merely human

I agree. That you have the option to kill people is ultimately of nominal consequence towards the popularity of this game. That option is merely one of very many, it's a cog in the wheel of the game's allowance of a particularly high level of freedom and non-linearity and discovery, and this is the key to its success.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-17-2004, 10:09 AM   #54
Life and times of...

Yeah, I know... I don't know why I said it. Maybe because that's the thing I hate most about the game... How can people get so much satisfaction when they go around killing people (and often in the missions)... I'm just bad with words (And even now I can't express what I want to say )...
Old 06-17-2004, 10:10 AM   #55
Bad command or file name

Since no one has mentioned it yet, I've got a feeling I'm going to be getting my head sliced off for this but...

NeverWinter Nights

Just never was able to capture my interest. The controls were confusing and awkward. The characters and story were bland and generic. Levels were uninteresting. None of the mods / user made levels were worth downloading. Multi play was not nearly as good as the slew of dedicated multiplayer RPGs out there. I think the game tried to do too much and fell short in all areas. ...bysmitty

Last edited by bysmitty; 06-17-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:36 AM   #56
Evil Incarnate

Finally! Someone who agrees...

NWN was not what it was hyped up to be.... I can imagine it was brilliant once you got into the community and stuff, but it never sparked my interest enough to properly 'get in' it. Being a diehard D&D pen&paper fan myself (very much active in p&p roleplaying) I must say I was dissapointed...
Old 06-17-2004, 12:44 PM   #57

In this thread, the most UNDERRATED game must be GTA 3...

(best. game. ever. almost.)
Old 06-17-2004, 03:20 PM   #58
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
1. Halo for sure. It's interesting to note that all the people who gush about it play the X-BOX version, and are CONSOLE gamers. I've played both X-Box and PC versions, and I think the PC version is better than the X-Box version, (WAY better controls,) but STILL isn't anything special. Hehehe. Those silly console gamers. "What's that? You had a great game of four-player deathmatch? That's nice. I played Capture the Flag with 32 people yesterday."
Ah, so more people=better game? Believe me, I'd rather play with 3 of my good friends than 31 total internet assholes. Being able to just have a few people over to the house and sit down and play a game immediately is a hell of a lot of fun, and only requires one console and one copy of the game. You can talk to each other in real time with real voices and talk trash right there if you want, free of assholes calling you "fagot" all the time (unless those are the sort of friends you have). Not to mention, Halo has multiplayer modes that go far beyond "four-player deathmatch" that I've never seen out of the box in any FPS, PC or console. I've spent plenty of time "gushing about it" and I play the Xbox version and I am a PC gamer. I play console games too, but consoles are a pretty minor part of my gaming time compared to the PC. You probably enjoy the PC version more because you're used to PC FPS games and it's just more natural for you.

Quote:
2. Starcraft. Good thing I live in the states, because if I was living in Korea I'd be fed to the wolves if I said that. I can't describe how much I HATE "Enemy-Starts-Much-More-Powerful-Than-You-And-Could-Crush-You-Instantly-If-He-Really-TRIED-To-Attack-So-You-Must-Build-A-Base-And-Slowly-Whittle-Away-At-Him" levels.
Since you said "levels" I assume you mean single-player. StarCraft is hardly lauded for its single-player. I'm sure plenty of people like it but the thing that's caused that game to stick around for 6 years is the multiplayer.

Quote:
3. 007: Goldeneye. You can't freaking JUMP, for God's sake! Why was this game considered so good? I admit, though, that it did have the best multiplayer available for the N64.
You've just answered your question about why N64 players enjoyed the game so much. Congratulations. If you aren't or weren't an N64 player (which seems likely due to your idiotic disdain for console players) then who cares? It's not for you.

Quote:
4. CounterStrike: Half-Life was the best game ever. CounterStrike was decent, but people, it's time to move on.
Why? Clearly if it's compelling enough that people still enjoy playing it there's no reason for them to move on.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 06-17-2004, 03:39 PM   #59
Citizen of Bizarro World

My bro recently bought an X-Box, and we rented Halo. I've been playing it with some of my friends in both co-op and multiplayer these last couple of days, and I'm really enjoying it. I've been exclusively a PC gamer my whole life, and prefer the WASD FPS setup, but I've addopted to Halo's control scheme fairly quickly. Some of the things that I like, that were revolutionary back then, and pretty dam fun/impressive even now:

-an engine rendering huge outdoor environments and indoors with surprising quality

-ability to drive several vehicles. Flying the Banshee is awesome. Warthogg is also heckofalotoffun.

-diverse environments. Nice change of pace w/ different enemies/vehicles introduced. What I'm saying is, it ain't boring (although I haven't finished the campaign, so the flood is yet to tire me out)

-being able to rifle-butt my friend's virtual face, and then laugh at his face for real. Fun multiplayer & co-op in other words.

The game, in short, is colorful and fun, and has an aura (one could say a halo ) of excellence about it. I don't prefer it much to the PC FPS experience, but enjoy it for being new and different, at least for me.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 06-17-2004, 04:41 PM   #60
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
My bro recently bought an X-Box, and we rented Halo. I've been playing it with some of my friends in both co-op and multiplayer these last couple of days, and I'm really enjoying it. I've been exclusively a PC gamer my whole life, and prefer the WASD FPS setup, but I've addopted to Halo's control scheme fairly quickly. Some of the things that I like, that were revolutionary back then, and pretty dam fun/impressive even now:

-an engine rendering huge outdoor environments and indoors with surprising quality

-ability to drive several vehicles. Flying the Banshee is awesome. Warthogg is also heckofalotoffun.

-diverse environments. Nice change of pace w/ different enemies/vehicles introduced. What I'm saying is, it ain't boring (although I haven't finished the campaign, so the flood is yet to tire me out)

-being able to rifle-butt my friend's virtual face, and then laugh at his face for real. Fun multiplayer & co-op in other words.

The game, in short, is colorful and fun, and has an aura (one could say a halo ) of excellence about it. I don't prefer it much to the PC FPS experience, but enjoy it for being new and different, at least for me.
Tada!

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright