You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Most. Overated. Game. Ever.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2004, 04:06 AM   #21
Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotray
I guess when it came time for me to sit and down and play through Halo, I'd already been spoilt with games like Half Life, Thief the Dark Project and Deus Ex.
See, for me it was the other way 'round. Halo was the first console FPS I ever played. Before that, I was solely a PC Gamer. But because this was my first, I was spoiled. Sure, the repeating levels were irritating, and the Flood were less of a challenge and more of a chore, but after Halo, everything else just seemed subpar (as far as FPS are concerned, that is). On the other hand, I have yet to play Half-Life, Thief, Dark Project, or Deus Ex.

Anyway, most over rated game in my opinion...it's a tie between the GTA series and the Rainbow Six series. However, I have at least a little respect for Rainbow Six, so I'm going to have to say GTA, particularly 3 and Vice City. Maybe it's just me, but beating prostitutes with baseball bats isn't really my idea of a good time.

Also, as a side note: Hello! How are you?
Old 06-13-2004, 04:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OftenK
I'm going to have to say GTA, particularly 3 and Vice City. Maybe it's just me, but beating prostitutes with baseball bats isn't really my idea of a good time.
Ofcourse it isn't. But then, that isn't what the game is about, either.

(kind of like me saying: I didn't like Monkey Island. Playing a human cannonball isn't really my idea of fun)
Old 06-13-2004, 04:24 AM   #23
Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
(kind of like me saying: I didn't like Monkey Island. Playing a human cannonball isn't really my idea of fun)
True enough. I certainly haven't played it enough to find out what it's actually about, so I guess I haven't really given it a chance in that area. Nontheless, the general gameplay doesn't thrill me, so I'll probably never get around to ...y'know...giving it a chance.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
Ofcourse it isn't. But then, that isn't what the game is about, either.

Yeah but in Monkey Island you atleast got tarred'n'feathered!

Call of Duty (wasn't it bloody GOTY somewhere?)
Splinter Cell (doesn't matter which one)
Far Cry
The Sims
FIFA '98-'04 (how many years now? still not able to make a soccer game eh EA? )
Metal Gear Solid
Halo to some extent; I thought the single player was OK, especially when played co-op with two players, meant hours and hours of mindless fun for me and my friends Multiplayer was.. well I didn't think there was much of a MP mode - there were practically no (good) maps and it was very hard to see exactly what you're aiming at (my big ass widescreen divided into 2 screens - not that good, divided into 4 - near to impossible). And was this not a game overly hyped by the press for having AWESOME*#%@$F*€!~MULTIPLAYER&%$ mode? I mean when I read the first previews I got the distinct impression there would be a cool multiplayer mode where 200 players got together on one huuuuuge battlefield with vehicles and the lot, now I know they dropped this before release but I was still very much dissapointed that MP was such a huge screw up. I couldn't play the MP for more than fifteen minutes before getting extremely bored, unfortunately my friends held on a little longer

Also, did someone dare to say NOLF? I can't find it now but I could swear someone mentioned nolf, grrr.. bastards..
Old 06-13-2004, 08:32 AM   #25
Club a seal or two

Who said NOLF was overrated!!!????
It's the best FPS ever made!

And some games people mention baffles me. Doom? Halflife? They're both classics. Well, I guess you had to be there to play it when they came out.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:12 AM   #26
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Most recently, it would be Knights of the Old Republic. Touted as a very 'deep' roleplaying game with tons of quests and play time. But once I had gotten like 15-20 hours in, I realized it was a horribly repetitive game. Bioware's worst.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by custard
HALO, Halflife, Splinter Cell, Knights of the old rebuplic.. yeh i'll stop now
Custard, how dare you say that Splinter Cell is overrated! It is one of my favorite games, because it is the first Stealth game that I've ever enjoyed playing. The same thing goes for Wilco, too.

Other than that, there is one game that I just thought of that was overrated by the critics. That game is Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb. I loved playing it until I got to the point where you have to escape from a giant tank that is trying to crush you. That level was so frustrating I kept messing up and dying. I gave up after what felt like so many retries.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:53 AM   #28
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotray
In regard to Multiplayer deathmatches, CTF, Team Deathmatch, assault, kart racing etc, I had the opportunity to play a lot of those mods on Quake for the PC. While this is a first for a console, it's something I'd had the chance to play earlier. I agree though, in terms of console first person shooters, much of what Halo delivered was cutting edge, and breaking ground. As I said before, I believe my problem with Halo was that I'd been spoilt by the PC FPS market, and the mods that were readily available with the internet at my disposal.
I think you're missing the point a bit (I'm not trying to be insulting, I probably just didn't explain myself well enough). I have been a PC gamer my whole life. I mean, I'm here on AG, so that makes sense. I've played all the major FPS games since Doom. I played Quake 1 for more hours than I'd care to count. I too had played modes like CTF and deathmatches. However, one of the things I was trying to say is that Halo has MORE modes than just those standard FPS modes. You've got stuff like Oddball, Accumulation, Team Crazy King, Phantoms, and the ability to create your own gameplay modes--WITHOUT having to create or install mods. Anyone can do it extremely easily, it requires no crazy programming knowledge. And even THIS wasn't my true point about the multiplayer, although it's a great bonus in itself. My point is how polished and solid the game feels to play it. No matter how great games like the Quake series and UT are on the computer, they feel somewhat raw and brutal (which can be good if you're in the mood for it) whereas Halo manages to always feel somehow more finished. This sentiment is one that has been echoed by many of my Halo-playing friends. Please bear in mind that this is not just some random console game. It's by Bungie, responsible for some of the all-time classic FPS titles, and it WAS going to be a computer game until fairly late in the game. I think you're giving it perhaps undue bias because of its immense popularity and console status. I might be wrong, that's just the impression I get. But whatever, not every game is for everyone.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 06-13-2004, 12:29 PM   #29
Liver of Life

Speaking of co-opness. This is why I so look forward to Guild Wars.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:34 PM   #30

Diablo/Diablo 2
Warcraft 3

warcraft 2 rocks btw, but 3 is just a boring and lacking innovation.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:27 PM   #31
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Myst, The Sims, The 7th Guest...
Old 06-13-2004, 05:24 PM   #32
8-Bit Spritemasterâ„¢

Okay, you know what? I think Syberia is overrated. I mean sure its pretty, and sounds nice but those are just saving graces, IMO.

I mean, the story is plain trippy & not in a good way, as far as I'm concerned. The majority of the puzzles & tasks are unintuitive, and the only way to complete them is to try out all the options. Plus, the character personalities don't thrill me in the slightest.

Sure, its done in the classic adventure game style, and that's why I've bought both copies to show my dollar support for the genre. However, nothing will convince me these games deserve all the praise they get.

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 06-13-2004, 05:27 PM   #33
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Warrior Bob
Okay, you know what? I think Syberia is overrated. I mean sure its pretty, and sounds nice but those are just saving graces, IMO.

I mean, the story is plain trippy & not in a good way, as far as I'm concerned. The majority of the puzzles & tasks are unintuitive, and the only way to complete them is to try out all the options. Plus, the character personalities don't thrill me in the slightest.

Sure, its done in the classic adventure game style, and that's why I've bought both copies to show my dollar support for the genre. However, nothing will convince me these games deserve all the praise they get.

Sky Warrior Bob
Yeah, I agree.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 06-13-2004, 05:47 PM   #34
Babbling as Usual

I've seen a few of these threads come and go, and it just occured to me:

Aren't we separating game quality from gaming milestones?

Myst was THE game to get people to purchase CD-ROM drives.
The 7th Guest
was the FIRST game to exist on a CD-ROM drive.
The Sims
made PC Gaming profitable on an entirely different level (to the mass public).
Halo on its own introduced hundreds of different types of console gamers to the addictive nature of co-op gameplay (not everyone who bought an X-Box remembers NES titles like River City Ransom).
Warcraft II popularized the RTS and was pretty much the first big RTS game for LAN play.
KoToR made Star Wars and the D&D RPG "cool" for people who wouldn't get between 200 ft of dice or a lightsaber.
Half-Life proved that dedicated communities could make or break the life of a game.

I think it's easy to get out your magnifying glasses and point out the holes in the development quality of these games. But these games are also the pinnacles of PC and console-gaming history, despite the fact that they might not individually be perfect games.

I know I'm on my high horse, here, so I'll get off.

But to go with earlier posters, I absolutely agree with the comments about Halo. I was a DIE-HARD fan of the game when it was going to be produced on the Mac by the "original" Bungie. Back when it was going to be a third-person, over-the-shoulder squad-based tactical shooter. Bungie clearly had to make some major concessions when they were bought by Microsoft and the engine and level design were the first things to get scrapped. I was disappointed to see Halo switch to first-person as much as I was disappointed with the repetitive level design at the end of the game.

Still, there are points when playing through single player Halo when you just go, "Damn." And that's why I love it.

Last edited by Bard09; 06-13-2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:30 PM   #35
Club a seal or two

I'd say Half-life set a milestone for the unprecedented quality of cinematic presentation and AI (in FPS genre).

The community came after.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:38 AM   #36
pain is love

GTA 3 - I payed it just to hear all the music. Everything else SUCKS, the car physics are terrible, and the missions simply bad... Not near as good or as atmospheric as Mafia
HALO (pc) - although it may be the best FPS for XBOX, it doesn't do shit for pc. And I really hate the crosshairs, the colored squares around the enemies. it's a console game, not a pc one (and you really can tell)
PoP: Sands of Time - repetitive, boring, no real combos (ahhh, Blade of Darkness), the frustrating animations after killing every enemy, camera... i really can't see what's so great about this one
Warcraft III - hmmm, it really ain't a strategy, neither an rpg, it's just a really bad mix of both. A stupid and dull game if I may say so
Unreal 2 - hmmm... Simply bad altogether...
FIFA - it really is true, but none of the FIFA games really simulates football, not by a longshot. Thank God for PES & KONAMI

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 06-14-2004, 05:20 AM   #37
Evil Incarnate

This is gonna be a lengthy post...

Quote:
For me, hands down, it would be Halo.
I totally agree! One of the most hyped and overrated game ever. If MS hadn't bought Bungie, the game could have turned out allright. The initial screens and stuff looked brilliant.

Quote:
Yes. Quake and Doom... just didn't do anything for me.

Total Annihalation, maybe it was all supposed to be about the multiplay or something but I found the singleplayer exceptionally uninteresting.

Morrowind... wide but shallow. It's a fun game, but the characters and dialogues are uninteresting and the locations are a bit repetitive. The story doesn't grab me either.

Also Unreal 2. But I think that's more down to a certain magazine going nuts about it. If ever journalism was for sale...
If you weren't baffled by the incredible graphics of Doom and Quake, you played them too late. They were quantum leaps ahead of any other games of their time (well, not Quake actually, after all DN3D was released the same year).

Total Annihilation wasn't a very balanced game, but it was fun. At least untill everyone at the LAN figured out the imbalances.

Morrowind is not overrated IMHO, one of the most enjoyable RPG's for the PC that aren't based on D&D. Makes other RPG's look like puny projects in it's sheer massiveness.

I'm with you on Unreal2 though... not very good at all.

Quote:
half life, was a good game but it was'nt anything great. i still bout it and played it to the full extent but the way people were obsessed about it was absurd
Again... If you played HL at it's release, you had to be blown away. HL had it all. I can't see how you weren't... one of the best games ever. End of story.

Quote:
LBA2. It was touted as an adventure game.
Well... sure, it was no adventure game (not in these forums anyways), but it was still a brilliant game.

Quote:
I think StarCraft gets a little more credit than it merits. I didn't think it very special.
First of all, Blizzards games are holy. They haven't got the slightest idea of how to make a bad game. They just can't manage to do it. SC is no exception. The best and most balanced RTS to date (with perhaps the exception of WC3). The first RTS to properly balance three playable (and very varied) races in a perfectly working dynamic.

Quote:
Erkki Topless Tennis Adventure.

Man, was that the most lame experience ever for me. I can't believe I spent 69 cents on that thing. I mean, you don't even get to see Erkki take his top off until the very end while cheap pr0nographic music plays, after the final boss slider puzzle! And to make it worse the damn credits roll just as he was slowly doing his striptease so that I couldn't see everything. And then the stupid thing crashed!!! Couldn't get it to work after. The worse thing, there was NO PATCH!!!
You are so wrong!!! Best. Game. Ev4r.

Quote:
Grand Theft Auto 3, most Overated Game Ever! I "Tried" to play this game many times and never found it interesting, then finally give up
Agreed, it's predecessors was so much more enjoyable. It lasted about a week or so on my HD.

Quote:
Diablo/Diablo 2
Warcraft 3

warcraft 2 rocks btw, but 3 is just a boring and lacking innovation.
Again... Blizzards games are holy. I never played the full version of Diablo, just the shareware, but my god... Diablo2... It's one of the best games ever. I could go on and on about what a stroke of genius this title is, but it would take all day. I bought the game early 2001 and I'm still playing it (in singleplayer no less!). I've spent countless hours with this game, and it's impossible to get bored with it.

I can't possibly understand what you people have against SC and WC3... they are without any doubt the two best RTS games ever created. I would very much like to know a RTS which comes even close to the complexity and refinement of these titles.

[/rant]

Pheuh!
Old 06-14-2004, 06:10 AM   #38
Jumping peanut on a stick

Full Throttle- just didn't do anything for me.
Grim Fandango- cute game, but don't think it was *that* good.

As for other, non adventure games... i rarely play any, so when i decide to buy some, i'm really picky and usualy try out a demo and read as many reviews as possible. So, i'm usualy not disappointed.
The only game that comes to mind as overated is Ratchet and Clank. I found it boring and unimaginative. Rayman all the way.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:41 AM   #39
Evil Incarnate

Quote:
Full Throttle definitively did do something for me... quite a lot actually... I never played through GF though *hides*
Old 06-14-2004, 11:09 PM   #40
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor
Let me express my bafflement in three languages:

Mora da se salis?
You gotta be kidding me?
Tou merde?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem