You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Beyond Good & Evil demo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2003, 08:06 AM   #21
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Demos? I've noticed that with full games too.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-10-2003, 08:36 AM   #22
merely human

A HA!!!!! A new updated official U.S. demo has just been made available!!

Quote:
Blues News:
New Beyond Good & Evil Demo [October 10, 2003, 4:22 PM EDT]

A new official U.S. demo for Beyond Good & Evil is now available, offering a another sample of Ubisoft's action adventure game with further optimizations than the European version released last week (story). The download is now up to 156 MB, available on 3D Gamers, Gamer's Hell, IGN, and Worthplaying.
Some important technical details here.

Downloading now. I hope it works for me now.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-10-2003, 08:42 AM   #23
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Of course, but I'm not going to bother with the full game if the demo says my graphics card sucks.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
well, duh! It tends to follow ...
Old 10-10-2003, 09:39 PM   #25
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Alright, alright, so it was obvious! It just seemed odd to me to say that the demos don't work. The more crucial issue is whether the game works. Even games that don't have demos still don't work for me. Also, many demos are not as scalable as their full-version counterparts. SO THERE.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-10-2003, 11:35 PM   #26
in 256 Colors

The same procedure as every day - doesn't work. Again.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:01 AM   #27
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

If you can't see the opening movies and the menu is all f*cked up, try turning off anti-aliasing. That worked for me....

GREAT demo, btw! :eek:

I had no idea what to expect from this, but the game seems really really good. Lots of stuff to do, varied gameplay, seemingly interesting story, cinematic storytelling, and it looked beautiful to boot!
Old 10-11-2003, 01:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
GREAT demo, btw! :eek:

I had no idea what to expect from this, but the game seems really really good. Lots of stuff to do, varied gameplay, seemingly interesting story, cinematic storytelling, and it looked beautiful to boot!
ARGH!

I hate you Garyos (and who ever else who has played the demo)! I want to play this game so bad. I will have to wait till Christmas when my brother comes to visit, though. He is also going to bring me BS3!
Old 10-12-2003, 05:14 AM   #29
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Piece of crap that won't run! I mean, I don't even get a crappy, glitchy intro. I just get a black screen for one second and then it dumps me back to the desktop. I've got all the latest hoo-hoo, so it's not that. This demo just bugs the hell out of me!
Old 10-12-2003, 09:09 AM   #30
AKA Morte

The more I read about this game the more I want it. MAN, does it seem good! It said somewhere that the developer wrote the story long before he thought of the gameplay, which means that all gameplay elements are there to complement the story first and foremost... And the gameplay is so varied too! And I really fell in love with the characters and the world in that demo.... I haven't had such a warm feeling towards computer game characters since Grim Fandango and LBA 2....
Old 11-09-2003, 09:06 AM   #31
Umbilicus Mundi

I'm with you, Garyos. This demo kicks ass!

I got the official demo + AMD patch and now it works.

I'm definitely getting this game.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:47 PM   #32

Amazing, amazing demo. It's going to be an amazing game too. I can already tell.

This title sort of came out of left field for me. I remember seeing some screenshots a couple months but was turned off by the female lead (I usually can't relate to them: TLJ and Syberia). But several good comments about the demo, plus seeing the guy who did Rayman did it, made me DL it.

I's really the perfect blend of adventure and platforming. With an epic globe-spanning RPG feel; you can see the entire world from the top of the lighthouse!...and it's not textures, it's all polygonal. The comparisons to Zelda and Anachronox (Jade sort of reminds me of Stiletto in a way) are just. It's also got a whole lot of Miyazaki in it, which is the main reason I like the female lead this time out. Plus the pig-man and the centipede boss are very Miyazaki.

I'm totally in love with this game....It already seems to be on the scale of my favorite title, Grim. I'll be picking it up for X-Box.

Meanwhile, it could even be better than the game I've been follwing closely and hyping up since it has been anounced, Psychonauts.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:05 PM   #33

how does this game work, u run around and jump on people?
Old 11-11-2003, 04:44 AM   #34

you jump on goombas and eat magic mushrooms.....

No. It's a more realistic platformer: when Jade jumps and moves she does it like a real person, not a cartoon character. Time is divided between talking to people, taking pictures of aliens, exploration, and item collection (all items make sense in the environment though, you aren't collecting shiny stars or orbs, just stuff you need and put in your inventory for later use). And fighting. Which ATM seems to be a fairly easy thing: pressing the button over and over. Jade looks really awesome in combat though, she flips and goes all kung-fu. It's great.

There aren't any "puzzles" yet. Well you have to push this generator to the correct spot...not really a puzzle, but good exploration will reap rewards. Like if you talk to the dog he runs off, and if you catch him you get the item in his mouth. Anyway, it won't surprise me if the final game has some nice puzzles.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:51 AM   #35
AKA Morte

Heh, this is a thread that needed revival. EVERYONE should try this demo, it kicks ass! A perfect blend of storytelling and gameplay, IMHO. I loved the radio/TV that played in the background, giving you the backstory. Better than dumb scrolling text...
Old 11-11-2003, 10:23 AM   #36
I'm really Cookin'

It's cute and easy, at least the PC demo is (that's all I've got). It's mouse and keyboard controlled but has an extremely simple interface, and combat (mouse clicking ad infinitum) should be manageable even for adventure purists. Maybe the game as a whole gets harder after the demo ends, though; that could be. The voiceovers seem good so far, although the dialogues and story are very simple like those of console platformers. The bright colors and pretty cartoon backdrops are Rayman-esque (no surprise there ). It's a little boring what with all the picture taking of critters necessary to get money (I totally skipped doing that stuff when I played Anachronox), but we'll see how it goes. I can't say it's as fun as Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, but it's warm and fuzzy, and my 9-year-old daughter was absolutely glued to the screen as I played it.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:46 AM   #37
AKA Morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Minnie
It's cute and easy, at least the PC demo is (that's all I've got). It's mouse and keyboard controlled but has an extremely simple interface, and combat (mouse clicking ad infinitum) should be manageable even for adventure purists. Maybe the game as a whole gets harder after the demo ends, though; that could be. The voiceovers seem good so far, although the dialogues and story are very simple like those of console platformers. The bright colors and pretty cartoon backdrops are Rayman-esque (no surprise there ). It's a little boring what with all the picture taking of critters necessary to get money (I totally skipped doing that stuff when I played Anachronox), but we'll see how it goes. I can't say it's as fun as Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, but it's warm and fuzzy, and my 9-year-old daughter was absolutely glued to the screen as I played it.
Hmmm... Sad that you weren't captivated like I was. It gave me a certain fuzzy... feeling that I haven't felt in a game for quite a while. It seemed organic and alive, and that's truly innovative, IMHO.
(And you had to take about two pictures to move on, so I can't see how that got boring, since there's two things to take pictures of right after you got the camera.)
Old 11-11-2003, 12:02 PM   #38
I'm really Cookin'

Nah Garyos,

That was my daughter egging me on in the camera department. We've still got like 1000 credits even after getting the shield on. My roll of film only has one or two spots left open on it. I guess we can use that extra money to buy more film somewhere. It's driving her crazy that there's some kind of walrus-kinda critter on the roof of the lighthouse but we can't seem to get a good shot of it (either too far away or badly focused). It's nice to have a game that she can actually play with me, though (the Nancy Drews get a little redundant ). Normally I'm a big platformer fan (Sly Cooper, Maximo and Klonoa 2 being favorites) so I'm definitely going to play the demo right to the end. I may very well even wind up with the game once I finish the demo; I'll see. It's far from the worst game out there.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:21 PM   #39

This game seems way more adult than say, Sly Cooper. Just a deeper game. It's really an all ages sort of thing I'd say, though I probably wouldn't have appreciated its depth as a kid. Sort of like Spirited Away (Yes..more Miyazaki)

And the camera stuff is really fun, I loved it in Anox too.

BTW, you have to fill up your entire roll of eight pictures, then you can get the digital zoom so you can sucessfully cap the otter on the lighthouse.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:13 PM   #40
I'm really Cookin'

Honestly, though, siftland, Sly Cooper (and Maximo) were definitely more challenging in the game play and more complex in their scenes than BG&E is (according to its demo); BG&E doesn't seem to take nearly the coordination or timing that they did, either. I've only played the demo of BG&E, though, so maybe it gets more complex as it goes on. I wouldn't mind having it anyway. The PS2 version is already out...