Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   HL2 Source code leaked, all goes to hell? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/328-hl2-source-code-leaked-all-goes-hell.html)

Marek 10-02-2003 09:31 AM

HL2 Source code leaked, all goes to hell?

What might have been an extremely well-constructed hoax turns out to be actually true. The Half-Life 2 source code has been leaked, and Gabe Newell has issued a statement at HL2.net (or check out shacknews if that server is down). Sounds like a real nightmare for Valve and possibly for the HL2 community.

twifkak 10-02-2003 09:55 AM

I know it's unethical to share the source, as companies like this derive a large portion of their revenue from licensing the engine, but I really would like to see it, out of curiosity (since I'll never buy it or work for Valve) for what a decent 3-D game engine looks like. I hope that (for my sake :P) it's still floating around on bittorrent come the weekend (when I have time).

PTDC 10-02-2003 10:00 AM

It's probably going to be a big setback, I wonder if we'll see HL2 this year. It would be interesting to see the source code, I wouldn't understand it though :\ If you want to see what a decent (albeit dated) 3D game engine looks like download the quake source code, which you can get legally from ID's ftp server .

Erwin_Br 10-02-2003 10:03 AM

Good grief! I wonder if there are any heads going to roll within Valve.

--Erwin

twifkak 10-02-2003 10:05 AM

Yeah... actually, I'm a long way from writing my own. I'm probably at the level where I wouldn't learn anything from code more complicated than the quakegl source -- but I'm curious, and a lot has changed since the quake days (no more BSP trees, advanced shading, some wacky subtexture things apparently, lots of awesome animation algorithms). I'm being purely hedonistic, but I'm rationalizing in the same way a d00d rationalizes downloading Photoshop warez.0

Kolzig 10-02-2003 10:15 AM

Oh man...

This is just wrong.
Why can some people let good guys like Valve do their work in peace.

This source stealing is something that should be stopped.

Bad, bad world
:\

Marek 10-02-2003 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Good grief! I wonder if there are any heads going to roll within Valve.

Looks like theft, not an internal leak. Though I suppose you can never be sure.

theneb 10-02-2003 10:23 AM

Not a supurise with the current annoyance of the delay.

Huz 10-02-2003 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theneb
Not a supurise with the current annoyance of the delay.

What's that all about then? Return of the King is taking a while to come out, I'll just go and steal all the filmed location footage? Plz.

MysterD 10-02-2003 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolzig
Oh man...

This is just wrong.
Why can some people let good guys like Valve do their work in peace.

This source stealing is something that should be stopped.

Bad, bad world
:\

Someone must be Steamed about Steam.
That or that SP was going to be played online only.

Royal Fool 10-02-2003 12:18 PM

Don't forget that this is only source code. That means no graphics or actual game content. (Except for the level editor, it seems)

Still, it's a huge blow to Valve.

remixor 10-02-2003 12:32 PM

Man, I can't imagine how the Valve team feels... They must be enormously frustrated right now. Did you guys read the account of how it was stolen? Crazy stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twifkak
companies like this derive a large portion of their revenue from licensing the engine

Very true, though I'd be extremely surprised if anyone sold any products using an unlicensed Source engine. ;) Probably wouldn't be the wisest move...

twifkak 10-02-2003 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remixor
Very true, though I'd be extremely surprised if anyone sold any products using an unlicensed Source engine. ;) Probably wouldn't be the wisest move...

If you did, you'd have to spend about as much time (money to employ people) covering your tracks so that it didn't look like the engine as it would cost to license the puppy.

Kingzjester 10-02-2003 04:03 PM

This is wicked AND royally f----- up. I think that no one will use the bootleg source of the Source engine ever, but it will secretly hang in every programmer's closet for the next three years and will be a source of 'inspiration' when in doubt about bits and pieces of code going into the new game at hand....

This really pisses me off. Really makes me fucking angry...

But I can't say that I don't wish I managed to steal it. I would do nothing with it, I would just burn it on a CD and hide it in my secret pr0n compartment of my big CD folder. The very feeling of sheer power - having pulled this off - would be marvelous.

Perhaps too marvelous. I would try to brag. I would tell Seryozha, for example, in full confidence, and then he would tell someone else, as a secret, and before you know it, I have the FBI knocking at my door...

Whoever did this lives in a place outside of the grasp of American law, like Vilnius, Kuala Lumpur, or Zagreb...

Erwin_Br 10-02-2003 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Whoever did this lives in a place outside of the grasp of American law, like Vilnius, Kuala Lumpur, or Zagreb...

or Moscow!

--Erwin

bigjko 10-02-2003 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Fool
Don't forget that this is only source code. That means no graphics or actual game content. (Except for the level editor, it seems)

It's the Hammer editor, it's been freely available for a long time, no surprises there...

Royal Fool 10-02-2003 11:23 PM

The new Hammer editor was made available? :confused:

The new version allows people to convert Half-Life .bsp files so that they can be properly loaded by Half-Life 2, among other things. Along with being immensely more powerful.

twifkak 10-03-2003 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingzjester
But I can't say that I don't wish I managed to steal it. I would do nothing with it, I would just burn it on a CD and hide it in my secret pr0n compartment of my big CD folder. The very feeling of sheer power - having pulled this off - would be marvelous.

Ah. Well, if you want to burn it to a CD, anywho, all you need is bittorrent and a dream, and it looks like you've got the latter.

remixor 10-03-2003 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twifkak
Well, if you want to burn it to a CD, anywho, all you need is bittorrent and a dream

and a CD.

EDIT: and a CD burner.

DomStLeger 10-03-2003 02:47 AM

This must be terrible news for Valve; they've effectively lost their lead over their competitors. Personally I wouldn't rule out industrial espionage considering how valuable the engine is (though that is the least likely scenario and I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist)

I don't understand why it'd delay Half Life though? What can they do about it apart from release the game as planned?

P.S. This will probably make companies think twice about having their internal networks connected to the net; which is a good thing because theres no reason why they can't have a few net stations and then a seperate network for security. It's the only infalible way of protecting your data from hackers - no physical connection to the net right?