You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General HL2 Source code leaked, all goes to hell?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2003, 06:39 AM   #101
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
HL2 is a server based game, right? That would mean that if the server never ever sends _any_ information that a specific client shouldn't get. It's rather impossible to be able to cheat if you can't get the information. The one owning the server might have an easier time to cheat, but that is another story.
Well, this isn't as easy as it sounds. The server needs to send *some* extraneous information, like the fact a player is lurking just out of view around a corner, to enable the client to cope with lag and packet loss without things getting horribly messy. I believe this is what allows wallhacks and the like to work. Too much checking on the server side also places a heavy load on the server, which drives latency up and doesn't tend to amuse server admins...

Most importantly, client-side cheats (like aimbots) are possible whatever the server does... and a detailed knowledge of the client-side (using the HL2 source code) is just what the developer of such a tool really needs.

remixor, I have saved you!
Old 10-07-2003, 06:43 AM   #102
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Well, I think it is time to drop the topic of cheating security now.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 10-07-2003, 06:48 AM   #103
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

the topic now should be - delayed till april 2004? eh gods!
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 10-07-2003, 08:13 AM   #104

Send a message via ICQ to Curt

Quote:
I saw a rather comical thing just now. I really don't believe it's true, but anyway:

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=8634205

Im not a coder but so I don't know for sure... but what if the code that was released was the equivalent of a SDK release?

Quit possible I tell ya.
I wouldn't believe Valve would be capable of this. They know they could push release dates back and people would STILL buy the game and be happy they were getting quality.

Conspiracy theorists everywhere nowadays.

I'll patiently wait and then buy it the minute it's out.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:19 AM   #105
Liver of Life

Quote:
I saw a rather comical thing just now. I really don't believe it's true, but anyway:

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=8634205
While it is conceivable, I doubt they would actually leak the code in order to get a reason for delay. If they really wanted a good reason to convince people as to a delay they would likely have just claimed it was stolen. Or maybe they just leaked some fake code. Oh, what the hec.

Then again, Curt has a point. Too many conspirary theories out there. Not worth noting, IMHO.

Even then, I doubt anyone is not going to buy it just because it's a couple of months late.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:08 AM   #106
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This was absolutely not supposed to happen with this game!

(Allthough I love conspiracy theories, and the first thing I thought when I read it was "That's the second most justified reason for delaying a game i've ever seen!")
Old 10-07-2003, 10:39 AM   #107

Last I heard it's now set for april next year.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:00 AM   #108
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

If it were a leak it'd be very foolish. They're going to have to do alot of work to convince the companies that supply sections of their engine (such as the havoc physics engine that everyone keeps mentioning) that they can be trusted with it in the future. If I had expensive code and valve wanted to use it in future, I'd want assurances they were running a very secure network now. Also, the security issue will likely have a negative impact on the steam thing of theirs (I mean, would you trust them with your credit card details? I find it hard to believe they are entirely blameless victims). So unless they were utterly desperate I find it unlikely a company would do this to their own reputation to get a few months extra time.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 10-07-2003, 11:03 AM   #109
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

As much as I love conspiracy theories, here's something that still makes me iffy about the whole April 2004 thing:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11984
Old 10-07-2003, 09:29 PM   #110

Quote:
Representatives of Valve Software have announced that the keenly awaited PC title Half-Life 2 has been delayed until April 2004. The not entirely convincing excuse for the delay is the recent theft of the game’s source code by hackers, now revealed to be only one third of all the total code for the game.

This delay will have a huge effect not only on the prospects for rival games hitting the market before April, but also on other developers that were expecting to use and license the Half-Life 2 technology for their own titles.
...from Gamasutra news, so I would imagine it's pretty reliable.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:39 PM   #111
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

What I don't understand is why Valve hasn't just issued a press release saying either the game will ship by the holidays or the game will be delayed. Everything is like "This site reports this quote" and so forth. I want to see a statement from Valve, not from someone saying that someone else is saying that Valve is saying something.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-09-2003, 08:09 PM   #112
El Luchador

Fun(or not so fun) fact of the day:

Quote:
"We were already paranoid about security issues because we had our own security breached during the development of Black & White and this has now made us doubly paranoid," said Peter Molyneux, head of Lionhead Studios. "We are currently considering restricting Internet access to certain key individuals."
Old 10-09-2003, 08:09 PM   #113

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

What is Lionhead currently developing?

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-09-2003, 08:41 PM   #114
El Luchador

Good question. They've got a whole lot of under-developers doing stuff, like Jeff Minter's Unity, Big Blue Box's Fable, Intrepid's B.C. and then...Black and White studios working on Black & White 2, I guess. Or wait, was B&W Studios working on the console Black & White, and Lionhead personally doing Black & White 2? Yeah, I think that's it. Oh, and The Movies. They're doing that, also.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:36 AM   #115
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
No, because that suggests that pirates have to do something akin to effort.
That makes it an imperfect analogy, but I don't see how that makes it less apt of an analogy than Spears'.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-10-2003, 05:42 AM   #116

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
Im not a coder
??!!! And you've been arguing about the level of difficulty involved in securing client-server code??? It ain't simple. "Secure" never actually means secure. There have been plenty of infamous open-source buffer under/overruns and the like. Making it open means people find it faster, so yes, it'll be fixed faster, but it'll be exploited even faster than that. Valve has the capability to notice if a cheat exists pretty quickly, so probably gets a better headstart by closing the source.

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-10-2003, 08:02 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by twifkak
That makes it an imperfect analogy, but I don't see how that makes it less apt of an analogy than Spears'.
The result is perhaps similar, but as far as the actual act of piracy goes, Kingz'/Spears' analogy is much more accurate.

Old 10-10-2003, 08:32 AM   #118

I think it depends on whether we're looking at the transgressor's point of view or the victim's point of view. From the former, you're right, while from the latter, I'm right.

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 10-10-2003, 09:37 PM   #119
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by twifkak
??!!! And you've been arguing about the level of difficulty involved in securing client-server code??? It ain't simple. "Secure" never actually means secure. There have been plenty of infamous open-source buffer under/overruns and the like. Making it open means people find it faster, so yes, it'll be fixed faster, but it'll be exploited even faster than that. Valve has the capability to notice if a cheat exists pretty quickly, so probably gets a better headstart by closing the source.
That part is a part of the quote, but had slipped outside the quote somehow. I just edited the post to reflect this. Sorry about that since quite a few has been quoting it.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 10-14-2003, 09:52 AM   #120

i heard it got put back to 2004 q4