Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   "MGS: Twin Snakes" - am I the only IDIOT who did this? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/3245-mgs-twin-snakes-am-i-only-idiot-who-did.html)

DaveGilbert 05-10-2004 07:34 AM

"MGS: Twin Snakes" - am I the only IDIOT who did this?

Hmph. The back of the box advertised the game as "Metal Gear Solid fused with Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty." So was I royally STUPID to assume that this meant that both games were included in the box? I admit to not reading any reviews about it, but I didn't think it was necessary since I played both games already and enjoyed them.

I realize now that the box contained MSG1 with the graphics and playability of MSG2, but man. I feel like the victim of a sleazy marketing scam. The updated MSG1 was good, but not $40 worth of good.

What a disappointment.

mag 05-10-2004 08:03 AM

I just thought everybody knew Twin Snakes was a remake of the first MGS by now, but I guess I can see where that line might be confusing to somebody who hasn't been paying attention to all the latest MGS news. Man, that stinks. You should see if you can return it.

Of course, if there was ever a game worth having two copies of, MGS would be it.

mag

custard 05-10-2004 08:20 AM

I think you probably are, doh! :)

Sky Warrior Bob 05-10-2004 08:39 AM

Well, I never had any intention of buying it, but I could've sworn that at one point the Twin Snakes was *SUPPOSED* to have both a remake of MGS1 & MGS2 on it. Somewhere along the line it got cut down to just MGS1, apparently, but initially I think was supposed to be the pair of games.

Sky Warrior Bob

zarathustrian 05-10-2004 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky Warrior Bob
Well, I never had any intention of buying it, but I could've sworn that at one point the Twin Snakes was *SUPPOSED* to have both a remake of MGS1 & MGS2 on it. Somewhere along the line it got cut down to just MGS1, apparently, but initially I think was supposed to be the pair of games.

From everything that I read since the beginning of the game's development, I'm fairly certain the intention was to remake just the first MGS. However, there has been constant talk of how the game plays like and resembles MGS2, so I can see the confusion if one had not read up on it in great detail.

Jackal 05-10-2004 09:30 AM

Unless there's a context-based reason for the word Twin in the title, it looks pretty deliberate to me. If that isn't designed to make people think TWO of something, I dunno what is. Sleazy marketing, indeed.

If there IS a valid reason for using the word, move right along. :D

DaveGilbert 05-10-2004 09:35 AM

Yeah, I never paid any attention to MSG news. Anyther bit of confusion was the picture on the front of the box. It showed Snake and a guy with long, blond hair. I assumed that was Raiden from MSG2, but now I realize that it was Liquid.

I guess it's true what they say about the word "assume!"

mag 05-10-2004 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal
Unless there's a context-based reason for the word Twin in the title, it looks pretty deliberate to me. If that isn't designed to make people think TWO of something, I dunno what is. Sleazy marketing, indeed.

If there IS a valid reason for using the word, move right along.

The title "Twin Snakes" is based on the plot.

Spoiler:
The main villain in the game is Solid Snake's brother.

They added that "Twin Snakes" bit to the title to make it fit the format that MGS2 set. So now we have MGS1: The Twin Snakes, MGS2: Sons of Liberty, and MGS3: Snake Eater. Kind of like how Raiders of the Lost Ark is now called Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark even though the "Indiana Jones and..." part wasn't introduced until Temple of Doom.

mag

Jackal 05-10-2004 09:55 AM

OK, they're off the hook. :P Thanks for the clarification, mag.

Royal Fool 05-10-2004 11:38 PM

I'd love to see what the back of the case looks like.