Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   First playstation experience is a lousy one (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/3140-first-playstation-experience-lousy-one.html)

Starflux 05-02-2004 01:55 AM

First playstation experience is a lousy one

I finally got my hands on Final Fantasy 7 for the Playstation, and was playing it just now on my little brother's PS2. And what happens? It can't detect the memory card! I couldn't save the bloody game! Not that I was very far in the game, or at least nothing that I would mind playing through again, but this is a bad first impression of the playstation! Has anyone else had a similar experience, and more importantly; how the feck do I get it to work?! I'm a bit pissed off at the prospect of finally having FF7 and not being able to play it >:

remixor 05-02-2004 02:02 AM

Are you using a memory card for the PS1 or PS2?

Starflux 05-02-2004 02:37 AM

It's a PS2 'Magic Gate', 8 Mb memorycard. Transparant red design, other PS2-games have been succesfully saved on it. I don't believe PS1-games have ever been used on it.

Was this helpful? (lol, Amazon.com-review kind of line)

Tanukitsune 05-02-2004 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flux
It's a PS2 'Magic Gate', 8 Mb memorycard. Transparant red design, other PS2-games have been succesfully saved on it. I don't believe PS1-games have ever been used on it.

Was this helpful? (lol, Amazon.com-review kind of line)

You can't use PS2 memory cards for PSOne games...
You will need to buy a PSOne memory card....
They are 100% incompatable, the PSOne uses "blocks" of 512k memory and the PS2 uses it normally... I think they have a different format too...
Anyway you need a PS2 card for a PS2 game and a PSOne card for a PSOne game, I think PSOne card are cheap now, but I'm not sure....

Starflux 05-02-2004 03:06 AM

Alrighty then, I'll go buy one (hopefully they're el-cheapo indeed) =_= But Sony is getting a thumbs down on this one. Disappointing.

[added: the PS1 memorycard IS able to slip smoothly into the appropriate PS2-slots, right? Or do I need yet another invaluable piece of hardware to buffer it? This is starting to look like a not-so-awesome obstacle course :D)

Tanukitsune 05-02-2004 03:36 AM

Quote:

Alrighty then, I'll go buy one (hopefully they're el-cheapo indeed) =_= But Sony is getting a thumbs down on this one. Disappointing.

[added: the PS1 memorycard IS able to slip smoothly into the appropriate PS2-slots, right? Or do I need yet another invaluable piece of hardware to buffer it? This is starting to look like a not-so-awesome obstacle course :D)

They look the same and are the same size, they just have diffrent logos...
And what exactly bothers you? The fact that you have to buy a another memory card? Then you'll be thrilled to know that they have only 15 blocks of memory and FF uses quite a few... I have quite a lot of PSOne cards but I only had to buy a second PS2 card so far....

LeChimp 05-02-2004 03:46 AM

For whatever reason my brother decided to get a ps2 even though we already had an x-box and gamecube, while it's an alright system, the only thing I use it for is playing ps1 games.

remixor 05-02-2004 10:17 AM

Quote:

Well, to be fair, they're really the only current console to support backwards compatibility at all. I think in most people's cases, if they have PS1 games they probably already have the PS1 memory cards that they used them with originally.

Starflux 05-02-2004 10:19 AM

That's true. I just wanted to bitch because I'm such a Nintendo-slut :P

WontonGoodsoup 05-03-2004 07:20 AM

backwards compatibility rules the planet.

Renegade 05-08-2004 12:07 AM

Once you get into FF7 you'll forgive the memory cards.

jjacob 05-08-2004 05:31 AM

And (perhaps) when you get to play your fancy pantsy Grand Turismo 4, you'll understand why some people still buy the damn thing. :P

Crunchy in milk 05-10-2004 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WontonGoodsoup
backwards compatibility rules the planet.

No it doesn't! Vive Le' Revolution.

Crunchy in milk 05-10-2004 07:23 AM

I don't think your first playstation experience was as bad as this kid's:

http://www.officer.com/article/artic...&siteSection=1

DustCropper 05-11-2004 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
I don't think your first playstation experience was as bad as this kid's:

http://www.officer.com/article/artic...&siteSection=1

My goodness... that's awful.