You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Deus Ex or Witcher 1?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #1

Default Deus Ex or Witcher 1?

Hey all!

I'm deliberating buying one of these games on GOG.com. Which one should I buy? I'm a sucker for a good story with great characters, and the game must not be too difficult.

I feel like both games are games I should've played, so it's time to start with one of them!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #2

Hmm. My own personal preference is Deus Ex. Cyberpunk and over the top conspiracy driven but still incredibly excellent storytelling struck the right chord with me. Not to mention some of the best level design in video games!

On the other hand, Witcher 1 is gives an interesting dark fantasy story with modern design and easier gameplay.

That's my take on it.
If you played System Shock or can handle good ol' game design and graphics then Deus Ex is for you.

AGs currently playing:
PC: Sanitarium, Maupiti Island
iPhone: Broken Sword Director's Cut, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #3

Hmm that is a really tough call. Deus Ex is possibly my favorite game of all time. But Witcher is pretty far up there too.

It really depends on your preference in atmosphere. Cyberpunk or Fantasy?

And whether you mind the outdated graphics of Deus Ex.

They are both really awesome games and it's a shame if you can't get your hands on both. If you can get only one, I would go with Deus Ex as well though.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneckchen ^.^ View Post
And whether you mind the outdated graphics of Deus Ex.
The gameplay is also quite different, Deus Ex being an old-school FPS and Witcher a 3rd person RPG. I personally have some issues with Deus Ex because of this, despite its likely superior story.

About environments, Deus Ex is conspiracy stuff, while Witcher is the usual sorcery RPG universe.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periglo View Post
The gameplay is also quite different, Deus Ex being an old-school FPS and Witcher a 3rd person RPG. I personally have some issues with Deus Ex because of this, despite its likely superior story.
Things like Wolfenstein or Duke Nukem 3D are old school FPSes... While it's true that Deus Ex does have plenty of First Person Shooting in it (if you choose to play it that way), it also has a lot of RPG elements in it as well. Simply calling it an FPS does not do it justice.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOslo View Post
and the game must not be too difficult.
Well, deus ex is the more difficult of the 2 (though there are difficulty modes, its still quite a bit harder than what you might be expecting from a shooter)
That said, deus ex is the more "must play" game because of how groundbreaking and unique it was. The witcher is also good.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #7

Thanks guys!

Well, I couldn't wait yesterday, and I went for the Witcher. Liking it so far! But I will play Deus Ex next, and looking forward to that as well.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #8

Great! Have fun! Oh and when you start Deus Ex don't play it like a shooter. Most people think it is a shooter, because it plays from First Person but it is far from it thus people don't like it because they weren't expecting such difference. If you played Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines you will feel right at home with Deus Ex. Unfortunately there are no games trully like Deus Ex (except if you go a bit further in the past and seek for games like System Shock and Ultima Underworld).

AGs currently playing:
PC: Sanitarium, Maupiti Island
iPhone: Broken Sword Director's Cut, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Old 04-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #9

Thanks, 7h30n! I'll keep that in mind!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #10

I would say Deus Ex was a First Person Simulator. Not easy to master and fully comprehend at once, the mechanics are far more interesting than a simple shooter.

It's really the story that gets you in the end though, or the storytelling anyway. There are other games with greater, or at least far more original stories. No one has ever integrated a story into a game the way Deus Ex has, though.

You really find out as much of the story as you care to look for. The more rocks you decide to turn, the more vital information you can gather, and plan your approach and course of action as such. I've often heard of the difficulties of storytelling in games. Deus Ex gave us the blueprints for Gaming Storytelling (or as I call it, Playing the Story) 12 years ago. Shame no one followed suit.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #11

Deus Ex is really a showcase for elaborate player choice and has much more meat to its design than The Witcher 1.

I'd recommend Deus Ex in a heartbeat.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #12

I'm still on the Witcher. It's very different than I thought it would be, but I quite like it! But I'll definitely get on Deus Ex when I'm finished. Just trying to avoid story spoilers
Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #13

Just a shame that Deus Ex doesn't have such awesome "collectible cards" like The Witcher does