You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General New gamer, help needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #1

Default New gamer, help needed.

Hello all.
Nice to be here, I wonder if you can offer sOme advice?
At the age of 33 I have discOvered gaming.
It started when I got my new iPhone, I played some adventure games on it and I was hooked! Now with the small screen of the phone the games are a bit tricky to move about in and very difficult to see! So I thought I'd move Onto the next level
I downloaded 'big fish games' onto my PC (very old PC) and I bought a game I wanted, the darn thing would not open up.
I was wondering, are most adventure games played through PC or are there consoles which these games can be played On? I wonder if I need a better PC or something? I really want to play these games but I don't know how to go about it.
Sorry if I sound silly, I'm clueless !!
Thanks
Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Advie.1

Hi wowser , lets say the all Adventures end up on PC sooner or later but not vice versa i advice you if willing to go to next level and have access to ALL adventures out there to get yourself a pc, or until then you better check the Review on the game you want before Purchasing or downloading it which always contents details about the Game including its Platforms ..so far!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #3

I have a PC but I'm not sure if it is good enough for games, how do I tell?
Thanks.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #4

If your PC is very old it is very likely it hasn't got the memory or a powerful enough graphics card to play modern games on. How old is your PC & what operating system does it have i.e. Windows XP, ME, 98 etc?

If you mainly prefer Adventures & the games you can get on Bigfish you are better of investing in a PC rather than a games console.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #5

It is about 5 years old is my PC, how do I find how much memory it has ? (yea I know I'm a dunce) then one of you may be able to tell me if it's enough.
Thanks x

Edit : it is windows xp

And, is there something about the xp not bei g verified that stops me playing games?
I don't know what this means or whether it is or not.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
The Quiet One

Click on Start > Run > and type in "dxdiag" (without quotations). If any box comes up just click on OK. The first page/tab - 'System' - should list your Operating System, RAM, Processor and DirectX. Click on the 'Display' tab next to 'System' and it should tell you what your graphics card is along with how much memory it has.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
handsome

Just google those "how to", man (or woman...or manbearpig). It'll take ages this way.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #8

If it's 5 years old already it's gonna be outdated either way. If you're planning on getting into gaming, I'd say just buy a new computer. Maybe a laptop. They're not THAT expensive.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyShinigami View Post
Click on Start > Run > and type in "dxdiag" (without quotations). If any box comes up just click on OK. The first page/tab - 'System' - should list your Operating System, RAM, Processor and DirectX. Click on the 'Display' tab next to 'System' and it should tell you what your graphics card is along with how much memory it has.
and easier you could click on (save all information) it will print all these information on that dxdiag window as a text file, you can attach it here,then maybe we could help

Old 03-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #10

wowser, if you want to 'game on the go' a laptop is a good idea but get some advice on what to buy to make sure you've got a decent enough graphics card for gaming. Otherwise, if you prefer to game at home, you would be better off getting a desktop that's upgradeable & more enduring.

It might be that you can upgrade your old computer depending on what the results are from the dxdiag info you get after following the instructions from DustyShinigami in the previous post.

As Adventurere No 1 has suggested, post the results here - someone will help!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #11

Get 'Beneath a Steel Sky' on your iOS(that is Iphone).
Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #12

If you just want the basic information, just right click on "My Computer" and choose Properties. That will tell you the OS, Service Pack level, CPU and RAM. Quicker and easier than wading through DXDiag. Of course, if you need more, it is not a bad idea to call DXDiag.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #13

Ok I went into d diag, here is what I found , all a foreign language to me. Please can you glean, is my comp too rubbish for games?
Operating system = windows xp professional (5.1, build 2600)
Processor = intel (R) celeron (R) CPU 2.93GHz
Memory = 990MB RAM
Not sure about where it says about graphics card
Is it the bit that says 'current display mode?'
This says .. 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (1Hz)

Thanks in advance all.
Sorry if I seem clueless. I've always had my fella to sort out the technical stuff, now I'm single I'm trying to learn for myself!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #14

wowser, if you click on the tab Display which should take you to the 2nd page of the dxdiag report can you list what it says underneath Device i.e.
Name:
Manufacturer:
Chip Type:
etc....

They are the details about the graphics card.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #15

Thanks chrissie, it just says 'n/a' under name , manufacturer, chip type

At the bottom says ' the system is using the generic video driver'

Wtf :/
Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #16

Hi wowser, I'm not technically savvy enough to help any more but I've included a link to a reputable site I've used before which will audit your PC: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html & should be able to give you some helpful info & tell you what updates you need

It sounds like you might have an integrated graphics card which is not so easy to upgrade enough to what you need now to play games - also you may need more memory although what you have is not bad for 5 years ago! It does seem, if you can afford it, worth investing in a new system which you can upgrade!

Last edited by chrissie; 03-27-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Afterthoughts