You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Strictly Adventures Only? or ....!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
Advie.1

Default Strictly Adventures Only? or ....!

i ask this because i am strictly playing Adventures only ,any other genre i totally dismiss ... i really dont have any idea about why i am terribly strict to one genre ..maybe because i like to be relaxed and Adventures offer this Big time ,you can leave your avatar and go out and come back later and you will find him/her standing ALIVE where you just left him/her ...or maybe because i am a lousy player in all those Action games that i always end up losing and whenever i play with friends i also end up the last (so embarrassing) ... or maybe its just Rock n' Roll

Old 03-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Stalker of Britain

I play games other than adventures, although for awhile I was strictly adventures as well. I also feel horrible if I'm playing cooperative and I let the team down, so I really only like to play by myself. The only time I play with other people is when I'm playing Halo with my fiance.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Grue Master

Strictly pure adventure games for me. I can't stand any Casual, Hidden Object or adventure lite games. Don't like any RPG, action or action adventure games. Furthermore I don't like any adventure with cartoony graphics or proclaims to be funny (I find no humor in any). And add to that I prefer my adventures to be first person, solo exploration and point & click although I do still play third person adventures just don't get as much enjoyment out of them. If I can't find a game that meets my requirements then I don't play anything at all. No solitaire or platformer hybrids (Machinarium, Samoroost) and the like, then I don't play at all. After playing 416 adventures there aren't any more left that have already been released that I am interested in. So my only game playing has dwindled down to when new games are released.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
lost in rubacava

I agree with you this far, Greyfuss, hybrids suck. It's infuriating to buy an "adventure" game and find you can't finish it because your reflexes aren't fast enough to make it through an action sequence the developer slipped in there for God knows what reason.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #5
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
you can leave your avatar and go out and come back later and you will find him/her standing ALIVE where you just left him/her ...
Is pressing the pause button considered an action packed moment?
Old 03-18-2012, 04:18 AM   #6
The Quiet One

I play other genres besides adventures; always have done. I could never play just one type of game. I need some variation. Something slow paced one minute that involves your brain, and something fast paced and action oriented the next.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFuss View Post
I can't stand any Casual, Hidden Object or adventure lite games. Don't like any RPG, action or action adventure games. Furthermore I don't like any adventure with cartoony graphics or proclaims to be funny (I find no humor in any). And add to that I prefer my adventures to be first person, solo exploration and point & click although I do still play third person adventures just don't get as much enjoyment out of them.

I do agree with you on one thing - casual/HOD type games are totally pointless - a complete waste of time, but what is it about RPG that you don't like? Have you ever tried to play one and found it lacking? If so, then maybe you just played the wrong game.
And, I'm kind of with you on cartoony graphic games, or I was for a long time. All I wanted to play were serious adventures with a horror/scdi-fi/conspiracy type theme, but after a while as these games started to become few and far between, I realised that I would have to broaden my horizons and look elsewhere. So I started to play games like Runaway, Book of Unwritten Tales, Whispered World, The Next Big Thing etc... and found out that I actually quite enjoyed them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising you by any means, but you are missing out on a lot by avoiding these games.
I suppose it all comes down to what you want out out of a game - for me, I want a game with a story - thats it. If I find the story even slightly interesting then I will play it. To me, if its well presented its like reading a book (which is my second love)
Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
The 12th Doctor

Adventure games are my first love. But I also like other games that rely on brainwork rather than reflexes. Stuff like the Civilization and Total War series' and football (soccer) management games. Also RPG's with stories and character development I'm interested in like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Fable or the first Deus Ex. The only reflex games I can enjoy are those where I have experience from real life, so that's basically driving and sports. I'm rubbish at FPS and stealth, and I hate it when stealth turns up in adventure games. It's as bad as pixel hunting.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #9

Sounds like a pissing match over why the Adventure genre is superior to life itself.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 03-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
It's a secret.

Now, now, there's room for all tastes and predilections in this world, no matter how puerile.

I, for one, rather like games that allow me to strategize and plan ahead. Months in advance, even.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Is pressing the pause button considered an action packed moment?
You cannot imagine the hilarity of the image that this brought into my head of someone screaming and knocking everything on their desk over into a smashed up heap on the floor just to press pause.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:00 AM   #12
Filmfreak

I play all kinds of games besides adventure games, but unless they're sports games, I'm leaning towards "story-driven" most of the time.

I have played plenty of different genres over the years, but I haven't seen a good racing game for the PC in years, I've become bored with shooters ever since the first two Call of Duty games raised the bar to a level no other shooter has achieved since, I've never liked real-time strategy games, etc.

Nowadays, I only play the occasional sports game (mostly football or golf), story-heavy RPGs (mostly BioWare ones) and adventure games.

Civilization games (turn based strategy) get my interest as well, but I was underwhelmed with the fifth installment (especially after the brilliance of the fourth one).
Old 03-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #13

I play many genres except sport and racing games (although I love forza). Storylines are a big factor in games for me so I tend to play survival horrors, adventure and free roams mostly. I'm also into online FPS games because it's satisfying when you and your friends get together and destroy gamers for a few hours ha ha!