Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Whats your cup of tea? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/30570-whats-your-cup-tea.html)

Manhunter71 02-27-2012 03:32 AM

Whats your cup of tea?

Just wondering, what other genres do you play apart from adventure games?
Are you a total adventure game fanboy who refuses to accept/recognise any other gaming genre or are you more open-minded and will play anything at all?

For me, adventure games are my true love - I just can't get enough of them, BUT, having said that, I am also very heavily into RPG which I think is not that dissimiliar from the AG genre.

Some of my all time favourite games are RPG, namely NWN, Planescape:Torment, Baldurs Gate etc..

And then there are the FPS/RPG/AG hybrids, like Deus Ex (possibly the best non-AG I have ever played)
Others worth mentioning - Bioshock, COD, Yakuza

So what about you guys? What else do you like?

Fantasysci5 02-27-2012 06:39 AM

I really loved turn-based strategy (Kings Bounty) and some good RPG. I'll ply Halo with my fiance, and I'm not past simming, but adventures, turn-based, and RPG is what I do most. <3

UPtimist 02-27-2012 08:18 AM

Maybe it's from the AG thing, but I notice that I tend to lean towards stuff with a good story. I'd wager it's a common trend.

I guess aside from AGs you could say games that I most play are games with RPG elements, but I don't really have the time for really hardcore RPGs, so I stick with stuff like the Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect. But I do play a fair deal of Halo (though not really any other FPSs), games like Psychonauts, Beyond Good & Evil... So, action-adventures?

kuze 02-27-2012 08:54 AM

I enjoy good (action-/C)RPGs, but I'm also a huge fan of online shooters I use to relax a the end of a long day, namely L4D1+2 and BF3.

TimovieMan 02-27-2012 09:06 AM

I mostly play adventure games, but I've played about every type of game in the past - to varying success.

Nowadays it's mostly adventure games, BioWare RPG's and sports games (with football, tennis and golf as the front runners), but other games may grab my attention too.
My gaming hard disk is divided into the following genres: adventures, sports, RPGs, strategy, shooters, action, racing games, music games and "other"...

A while back, I compiled an "All-Time Top 50" out of all the games I've ever played. It contains games from a lot of different genres, so it gives an accurate picture of the type of games I like.

As for what I DON'T like: survival horror or stealth games, real-time strategy games and - for lack of a better word - "button-mash games".

Siddhi 02-27-2012 09:08 AM

I play anything and everything - rpg, jrpg, shooters, action, puzzle, sims, arcade, rhythm, platform, strategy, adventure, multiplayer... whatever. Its just a question of what catches me at a given time.

aries323 02-27-2012 10:42 AM

I play RPGs as well as adventure games. I also play good shooters like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Bioshock,
other games like Assasin's Creed and the hybrids like STALKER and Deus Ex etc.

Lucien21 02-27-2012 11:48 AM

I've played a little bit of everything.

Not a huge fan of driving games or RTS's, but other than that most things are fine.

TiAgUh 02-27-2012 01:02 PM

I'm a sucker for awesome stories so I'm definately not into RPGs, either J or W :P, anymore; Bioware is a joke and Persona 3... god, that dialogue and those clichéd characters (kinda like Yakuza) *shudder*, the blakean personas were cool tho. The last RPG one I've actually adored was Anachronox.

I looove Suda51 games, killer7 and FSR especially -- still haven't played the more recents ones --, and I'm eager for the epic Lollipop Chainsaw (!) but hum... I'm not really into a specific genre. Unless you count Mikami's stupefyingly difficult WTF-journeys that Mr. Wimpy here calls:
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 601953)
"button-mash games"

:P
'Cause GOD HAND is the most awesome thing ever made in the history of mankind :9~. How I miss Clover Studios...

Hammerite 02-27-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhunter71 (Post 601927)
And then there are the FPS/RPG/AG hybrids, like Deus Ex (possibly the best non-AG I have ever played)

I can't agree with this enough. Games like Deus Ex, Thief
, and Bioshock encapsulate what I love about games -- and always result in me sounding like a total tool when talking about them with people ;).

Can't go wrong with a well-made sandbox, either. I can always count on The Elder Scrolls to provide me with immature self-made fun!

Bit of intelligent stealth's worth a mention, as well.

Periglo 02-27-2012 02:32 PM

I don't mind action and jumping about if the story is interesting ("or, at least, distracting" - Max). Psychonauts, Beyond Good and Evil, even Rayman (II, Origins). I think I will like Bastion, from the demo.

I also like puzzle-oriented games with strong stories, like 999, or Portal.

RPGs is probably the closest genre to AGs, and many people here play these too, specially if the story is good, as in Mass Effect I and II, or SWKoTOR I and II... bioware stuff. I even liked Jade Empire. Then, of course, the classic Torment and Baldur's Gate.

Jannik 02-27-2012 04:37 PM

While I like many types of games, most of the games I play are either games where story/storytelling melt with the gameplay, or games from the other side of the spectrum where "game mechanics" is the meat of the game.

Favorite (sub-)genres: Adventure games, RPGs that have puzzles/minigames, action-adventures with plenty puzzles/minigames, arcade-like action games, shoot 'em ups, physics based puzzle games, racers (mostly in multiplayer modes) and "quirky" multiplayer games like Bomberman.

Some of my favorite games:
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Deus Ex, Skyrim, Ico, Beyond Good and Evil, Fallout 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, SSX, Final Fantasy VII.

UPtimist 02-28-2012 01:11 AM

Funny/odd that so many mentioned not liking real-time strategy. But since you mentioned it, I do like a good RTS, though haven't played one in a while though...

Periglo 02-28-2012 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPtimist (Post 602000)
Funny/odd that so many mentioned not liking real-time strategy...

That could be because of the very thin stories involved. I remember cherishing the story in Starcraft, which was silly but much more developed than, say, the one in Warcraft 2. I could be wrong though, I also haven't followed this genre for a while.

Fantasysci5 02-28-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPtimist (Post 602000)
Funny/odd that so many mentioned not liking real-time strategy.

For me, I don't like it because I don't feel like I have a lot of control over what happens. I just click, and it does it itself. With turn-based, I love that I can directly control who does what damage to who, that will kill who off, etc etc. I just feel more in control with turn-based, I guess.

TimovieMan 02-28-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 (Post 602051)
For me, I don't like it because I don't feel like I have a lot of control over what happens. I just click, and it does it itself. With turn-based, I love that I can directly control who does what damage to who, that will kill who off, etc etc. I just feel more in control with turn-based, I guess.

^ This.

Plus you don't have to rely on reflexes when it's turn-based. You can take it at your own pace...

Periglo 02-28-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 602061)
Plus you don't have to rely on reflexes when it's turn-based. You can take it at your own pace...

Then the same would apply to RPGs, right? Lately they tend to be real-time and action oriented, so you loose control, and tranquility. I also dislike that a little, but for me it is mainly the story that makes it or breaks it.

TimovieMan 02-28-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Periglo (Post 602073)
Then the same would apply to RPGs, right? Lately they tend to be real-time and action oriented, so you loose control, and tranquility. I also dislike that a little, but for me it is mainly the story that makes it or breaks it.

You get to "auto-pause" at every turn during most RPGs. The Mass Effect games are an exception, but they play more like an FPS than an RPG in the action parts anyway...
And Mass Effect 3 is supposed to have a "story mode" where combat is either simplified or easier, so that's another plus for those who prefer the story over the action!

Not that I'll be using the Story Mode in ME3, though. :D

Periglo 02-28-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 602078)
You get to "auto-pause" at every turn during most RPGs. The Mass Effect games are an exception, but they play more like an FPS than an RPG in the action parts anyway...

ME1 actually had a sort of pause mode, when you could issue orders and look around freely. I used that a lot in the final battle. I am not sure if ME2 had the same, or I just didn't need it. As you said, combat in the ME series is quite fun, but a story mode for ME3 sounds interesting too.

Some other RPGs are also FPS-like: Alpha Protocol, Deux Ex (the latest)...

ozzie 02-29-2012 01:32 AM

I love games that tell a good story well woven into the gameplay and/or depicts a believable virtual world.
One of my favorite games is Patrician III. It barely has any story, but the virtual world is depicted so convincingly and atmospheric that I don't need one to enjoy it.
I'm replaying Psychonauts atm and I'm astounded that it still holds up as one of the best games that manages to weave story into the gameplay. Many more games focus on storytelling now since it came out but I don't think the medium progressed any further into managing this feat. Beyond Good & Evil was similar in many ways, and I like that too, but the gameplay was too shallow for my tastes. So I prefer my games to be real games, but where the gameplay isn't purely abstract, like in Tetris, but takes place in a believable virtual world.

Other favorite non-adventures of mine are Outcast, Half Life 2: Episode 2, Jagged Allliance 2 and Gothic 2.