You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #61
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
People are trying to pin the game's likeness to other games. It looks and feels like its own game.
Have you played them 'other games' to make that remark you silly silly you ? Anyway just google it and you'll see there's tons of people who also see that specific resemblance, for instance:

"Boasting a unique scenery traversal system and enemy AI behaviour, combined with a grim and gritty presentation, the game, which reminds us of the PlayStation 2 title, Disaster Report, is looking good." (http://www.denofgeek.com/games/12373..._am_alive.html)

"Part of me wishes more games existed of this nature that didn’t feel the need to feature combat -- games like Disaster Report and Raw Danger, where the entire idea is surviving and helping other to survive." (http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/...of-i-am-alive/)

Which is not a bad thing for sure, cause Disaster Report had a huge potencial to be one of those must-try PS2 gems. I just hope "the need to feature combat", like EGM said, doesn't mean there's a great emphasis on it. (Raw Danger is the spiritual sequel to DR, btw)
Old 02-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #62

I thought the combat was more of a 'Its there to use but not required....the need to feature combat is a given, especially with the concept. Its like saying STALKER or Metro2033 shouldn't feature combat.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 02-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #63
Schättenjager

Quote:
Everyone knows this is taking place is a story/episode of Night Springs right? Wildlife? That would make it feel like reality more than a surreal representation that is his reality.
Right,lumberjack surreal enough for his reality.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #64

Speaking of I Am Alive, the timing of its release seems a little odd. Right up against Mass Effect 3.

It's almost certain to be overshadowed...
Old 03-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #65
Schättenjager

Same thing goes on with American nigtmare too,now they change enemies with road and construction site workers,they'll get you with a shovel instead of ax.What's with Al's obsession against hard working class anyway.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:17 AM   #66

On the bright side, the birds weren't any where near as annoying as they were in the first instalment. Good move with the shapeshifting...
Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
On the bright side, the birds weren't any where near as annoying as they were in the first instalment. Good move with the shapeshifting...
Oh dear god. It was worse than fighting those flying locusts in gears of war. -_-

Old 03-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #68
Schättenjager

I found most of chapter 6 and 7 unnecessary padding but 8 was quite good so the ending.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #69

Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted here; I'm involved in lot of new music projects right now, so I had to slow down my gaming schedule significantly (which isn't very hard, as the new titles that interest me still hadn't came out).

BTTT. Ever since I've heard of Alan Wake, I was dissapointed when it seemed there won't be a PC version of it, so I was thrilled when they've announced otherwise. Two weeks ago, I've got it and start playing it, but I've quit. Although, I've seen several things crucial to a good game in my book - setting, atmosphere, characters and seemingly interesting premise, it was the gameplay that had turned me down. Maybe the game mechanics the most, as the awkward camera behavior (for me, at least) even made me dizzy (something that even Portal games couldn't do - well, most of the time). Plus, what I've seen of the gameplay was simply boring and uninspiring for me. I know that I've shouldn't judge the game I've barely touched, but I've got a nasty feeling that the whole game is like that. But of course, never say never. Maybe I will finish it someday.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 AM   #70

Yeah well I liked the beginning the most. So if you don't like it after the first hour or two, I guess you won't need to bother
Old 03-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #71
Schättenjager

With latest patch auto-targeting and freecam added that ideal
for gamepad users.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #72
In an evening of July...

Man, this game is gorgeous... Dead End Thrills also has quite the collection of gorgeous stills from Alan Wake, definitely worth a look.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #73

Quote:
The best controller for gaming on the pc is the xbox 360 wired controller
Reminds me of the days when I fragged my little brother in Forsaken. He was using a joystick... no chance against a PS/2 mouse.

Considering how broken most mice seemingly are out of the box, nowadays - or is it just my screen that got bigger? - you may have a point.

From what I've seen of Alan Wake and my experiences of trying to play Penumbra with a rodent, probably another.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoipolloi View Post
Reminds me of the days when I fragged my little brother in Forsaken. He was using a joystick... no chance against a PS/2 mouse.

Considering how broken most mice seemingly are out of the box, nowadays - or is it just my screen that got bigger? - you may have a point.

From what I've seen of Alan Wake and my experiences of trying to play Penumbra with a rodent, probably another.
Except logically third person games are best played with a controller for its fine-tuned movement, whereas keyboard and mouse is way to rigid....FPS on the otherhand...different game.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #75
Schättenjager

Alan Wake's American Nightmare coming to PC on May 22,that was quick

http://www.shacknews.com/article/73709/alan-wakes-american-nightmare-coming-to-pc-on-may-22
Old 05-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #76

I love Alan Wake so much.I'm still at the beginning relatively,at the second episode but so far I love that game.In fact I was playing it last night.I love that feeling that it gives me,the spooky TV series one like the X-Files,First Wave,Tales from the Crypt,The Outer Limits etc.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #77

Worth noting that Alan Wake's been released on GOG too, DRM free with a whole lot of extra features. They've even got American Nightmare available to pre-order.

It's probably not said enough, these guys are awesome.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
Worth noting that Alan Wake's been released on GOG too, DRM free with a whole lot of extra features. They've even got American Nightmare available to pre-order.

It's probably not said enough, these guys are awesome.
You know the only reason it was released on GOG or a DRM free service was the fact that they broke even for porting it to the PC. Steam does its job as a safety net for PC developers.

Ugh, but I can say 14.99 for alan wake and 13.49 for AN is great!

Last edited by Monolith; 05-09-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #79

Yeah, I think we can both agree that Remedy's been very generous here. I've got both games on the 360, but this seems like the perfect way to get the PC version too!

(Plus GOG hints we'll be seeing the Max Payne games soon. Not too shabby!)