Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Deadly Premonition is better than Heavy Rain (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/30171-deadly-premonition-better-than-heavy-rain.html)

usman 12-07-2011 09:28 AM

Deadly Premonition is better than Heavy Rain

Hi Guys,

Please read this very intresting article here http://www.destructoid.com/deadly-pr...n-165288.phtml

I just played a copy of Deadly Premonition on my PAL XBOX360 and I am amazed by this game. Surely the graphics looks pretty outdated and seems like a PS2 game visuals but the gameplay and story line is really chilling, suspense and rock solid.

I 100% recommend this game to every XBOX360 owner atleast should give it a try just for 30 Mins and I am sure you will get stuck with the storyline and characters :)

Henke 12-07-2011 01:00 PM

I've had my eyes on this game for a really long time now and after christmas is over I'm finally getting it. :)

I haven't played Heavy Rain yet (don't own a PS3) but I didn't think Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) was more then decent (which is good enough to make it worth your time though). I think Deadly Premonition seems more interesting, time will tell if that assumption is correct. :P

Tiocfaidh 12-07-2011 01:33 PM

I only played Heavy Rain which I liked a lot.
Despite some plot holes and a needlessly slow start this game kept me interested till the very end.
Planning on playing through the game a second time.
Maybe over the holidays...

If I´d own a X360 I´d have already checked out Deadly Premonition & Alan Wake which are the only exclusives that interest me.

I´ve watched the first 6 videos from the Deadly Premonition playthrough and had to force myself to stop watching. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTeHJjZ20B4

I´d love to give it a shot. The combat seems to be a repetitive bore though.

Arial Type 12-07-2011 02:16 PM

I think Heavy Rain was in development for five or six years, while Rainy Woods was announced much later. Never played it, but the trailer shows your typical Japanise staff: possessed zombies, ghosts and dead girls.

And it sounds like people on destructoid never heard of Shenmue, which is simply a Director's cut of every QTE game that came out in XXI century.

usman 12-07-2011 05:51 PM

Red Seed Profile is PS3 released version of Deadly Premonition. It was released in Japan but the complete gameplay voices and text are in English.

So PS3 owners should start searching for it to give it a try :D

Burns11 12-07-2011 06:07 PM

That article is ridiculous, they are two completely disparate games with very few similarities. It's just a console wars fluff piece (we can't play Heavy Rain, but who cares because this game is better).

Deadly Premonition (Or Red Seeds Profile as I played it) isn't a bad game, it's just completely different. FWIW, Heavy Rain is the only one of the two I still think about despite playing both around the same time.

SamandMax 12-08-2011 12:54 AM

The article is jokingly hyperbolic but I agree with its assessment of Deadly Premonition, it really is a wonderfully insane one-of-a-kind game, one that had as much of an impact on me as Heavy Rain did if not quite for the same reasons. How could anyone one ever truly forget that brilliantly awful squelching saxophone song you hear every 5 minutes?

thejobloshow 12-08-2011 01:13 AM

I looked into this title a while ago, it looks good. Shame the PS3 version is not coming out in the West. I ain't buying a 360.

usman 12-08-2011 05:56 AM

This article will do the justice to the game........

http://www.gamesradar.com/love-gta-h...hem-heres-why/

usman 12-08-2011 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejobloshow (Post 595249)
I looked into this title a while ago, it looks good. Shame the PS3 version is not coming out in the West. I ain't buying a 360.

The Japanese version for PS3 has full English text and voices........

thejobloshow 12-09-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usman (Post 595259)
The Japanese version for PS3 has full English text and voices........

Is that true? Brb...

EDIT: Voice acting is English, subtitles are Japanese. Not good enough for me.

Monolith 12-09-2011 05:00 PM

Now i'm considering playing this game. Interesting article usman.

usman 12-09-2011 09:20 PM

^^ Thanks Mate :)

The game is so good so it should be given proper credit too....

Tiocfaidh 12-10-2011 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejobloshow (Post 595324)
Is that true? Brb...

EDIT: Voice acting is English, subtitles are Japanese. Not good enough for me.

Furthermore it looks like it´s pretty tough to get your hands on a copy for a reasonable price

Monolith 12-10-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh (Post 595349)
Furthermore it looks like it´s pretty tough to get your hands on a copy for a reasonable price

The PS3 version? Yeah japanese imports tend to be VERY expensive, especially when the game is no longer produced.

Henke 01-03-2012 12:35 PM

Just finished the first chapter. So far this game really is amazing. If it keeps it up it can very well make it to the top of my list. How come it never been reviewed here???

Monolith 01-03-2012 02:21 PM

So I got this, what, three weeks ago. And I have come to the conclusion that I now know why this game was compared to Heavy Rain. Damn this game is pretty awesome. Interesting story, very lovable character circle, epic environment (even though I think it could of been executed better, without the annoying and lackluster map system), profile/investigation scenes and decent traditional survival horror mechanics.

The only downside is the VERY annoying driving controls. It is too sensitive, especially since every about being in the car is unique and beautiful. The signaling buttons should of changed to the side bumper buttons too.

Thats it for now. Still have to beat it.

Bastich 01-03-2012 09:39 PM

I purchased Deadly Premonition, but I don't own an Xbox360. It's not very fun yet. The box just sits there staring at me...

Monolith 01-03-2012 10:56 PM

Its hard to have fun when its staring at you. Tell it to face away from you and try again.

Henke 01-04-2012 04:57 PM

Is it really like Heavy Rain? I thought that game was all QTE?

Deadly Premonition really has a great variety when it comes to gameplay. It feels like the game is all about the story and characters with a mysterious murderer in a small town and all the gameplay is designed to make a great game of those premises.

It got detective work with interrogating suspects, looking for clues (with puzzles here and there). Since you're chasing a murderer it got shooting and adrenaline pumping QTE. Then it got the cardriving, eating/sleeping, changing clothes ect. to make it all feel real.

If Heavy Rain is this brilliant I have to play that one too no matter what.

Monolith 01-04-2012 06:27 PM

Beaten the game. I was dumbfounded. I absolutely love this game and I'm proud to say that this game is one of the most underrated gems ever.

Tiocfaidh 01-05-2012 07:31 AM

damn, someday I´ll have to buy a X-BOX just for this game :D

TiAgUh 01-05-2012 10:31 AM

And I'll just wait for a nice 360emulator cause no way I'm gonna buy a console for 1 game josé.
I just hope it doesn't dwell too much on the bizarre for atmosphere-sake like Lynch's movies since that gets old real fast. Give me some brilliance a la early Suda51 games plz :9~.

Guyra 01-05-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usman (Post 595258)
This article will do the justice to the game........

http://www.gamesradar.com/love-gta-h...hem-heres-why/

Nerdgasm, I have to buy this game. :9~

I don't really see how it's comparable with Heavy Rain though, as Heavy Rain is more of a realtime adventure game, while Deadly Premonition is more Survival Horror. At least from the looks of it. In fact, it actually sounds like it has more in common with L.A. Noire(though I haven't played that game either. :P )

Henke 01-05-2012 03:46 PM

Deadly Premonition is definitely a realtime adventuregame. Can anyone who actually played both games give us a comparison?

As for the "bizzare atmosphere", I think it's perfectly balanced with the rest of the game which feels very belivable and real. The weird stuff is really out there but with elements from things and people you encounter (very much like dreams). Although I still haven't finished it so there might be more to it.

Monolith 01-05-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henke (Post 597451)
Deadly Premonition is definitely a realtime adventuregame. Can anyone who actually played both games give us a comparison?

As for the "bizzare atmosphere", I think it's perfectly balanced with the rest of the game which feels very belivable and real. The weird stuff is really out there but with elements from things and people you encounter (very much like dreams). Although I still haven't finished it so there might be more to it.

DP is sort of a Heavy Rain like Survival Horror, by that the QTEs and Mystery/Detective atmosphere including investigated are included. Unlike Heavy Rain, you have a whole town/country side to explore and pick up side quests to help improve things that will help in the Survival Horror Moments. In terms of QTE, well they aren't really creative. People shouldn't complain about the QTE's in HR because they were so creative unlike every other game that utilizes QTE's. DP uses the generic set pattern of keys to overcome some obstacle and so on. Not really that big of a deal but can be VERY annoying.

The game isn't 100% survival horror. Unlike many games in that genre, there only survival horror moments are when you go into this 'other wordly' rendition of a location you have seen before. These are set up in bits of pieces inbetween exploration of the world, investigation, and cutscenes.

Again why is it compared to heavy rain? The atmosphere, the characters, the mystery, the investigation, etc. I won't include QTE's since really no game comes close to the creative use of it in Heavy Rain (seriously get off that shit, HR did an amazing job with them).

In terms of action moments, it plays just like Resident Evil 4. Aim, Lock on, Shoot. Aim, don't lock on, aim at head, headshot. There is one enemy in the game that takes forever to kill but is very easy to avoid getting hit.....but you'll know when you meet them.

I do want to say this though. Deadly Premonition is my favorite Survival Horror game (not comparable to the Wii Silent Hill though. Never played it). This game mixes Survival Horror, Adventure, RPG elements, and some of the most unique bizarre moments. It was just so much of a pleasure to play. So many SH games don't give you a break and always dangle the impending doom over you everywhere you go. In DP after you complete a SH segment, you can relax and take in more of the story and the world....and the COMPLETELY AWESOME CHARACTERS!

Henke 01-06-2012 02:13 AM

I don't see DP as mainly a Survival Horror game since it doesn't take up more then around 10-20% of the total gameplay. I agree about DP beeing total awesome. It could possibly be one of the best games I've played actually. :)

usman 01-06-2012 10:39 AM

^^ Agree with Henke

DustyShinigami 01-06-2012 12:35 PM

I actually found Deadly Premonition a broken mess, not to mention unintentionally(?) funny because of the hammy voice acting. The sounds/moans those zombies make, man... :D

It does have some good ideas though. The story is good and interesting to follow, the characters are a weird bunch, and there's plenty to do gameplay-wise... I can understand its cult status. But it's not a game I'll be replaying in the future.

On another note: I like the cop, Emily. She looks just like Naomi Watts it's eerie...

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/3122/93262811.jpg http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/979...naomiwatts.jpg

:D

TimovieMan 01-06-2012 01:40 PM

Wow, the resemblance is practically as close as Yvonne Strahovski's to Miranda Lawson in Mass Effect 2. And that was mo-capped... :crazy:

Monolith 01-06-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henke (Post 597505)
I don't see DP as mainly a Survival Horror game since it doesn't take up more then around 10-20% of the total gameplay. I agree about DP beeing total awesome. It could possibly be one of the best games I've played actually. :)

Yeah, what I said.

Guyra 01-06-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henke (Post 597505)

That sounds promising. :D

Monolith 01-07-2012 01:40 AM

Oh and I didn't realize no one mentioned that this game is pretty much 'Twin Peaks' the game. Originally it was called Rainy Woods, but they changed it because the original demo at TGS had A LOT of simliarities to Twin Peaks, but for some reason they got backlash from the fans?

Seriously, go into this game thinking of Twin Peaks. You'll realize that a lot of the humor, drama, and mystery is familiar....not complaining, but it SHOULD BE MENTIONED for those who love Twin Peaks.

TiAgUh 01-07-2012 02:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
^ Well, I asked if it was anything like Lynch's stuff, seemed way too familiar. But as I asked Henke: did it end up being more of a ars gratia artis kinda weirdness (not that I have anything against it) or was there more to it?
Just curious because I'll proly never play the damn thing at this rate. :shifty:
Quote:

Originally Posted by DustyShinigami (Post 597560)
On another note: I like the cop, Emily. She looks just like Naomi Watts it's eerie...

She just looks like a typical pretty blonde from any game or movie to me. In fact, she reminds me a bit of...
Attachment 3108
yikes! :crazy:

Monolith 01-07-2012 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiAgUh (Post 597610)
^ Well, I asked if it was anything like Lynch's stuff, seemed way too familiar. But as I asked Henke: did it end up being more of a ars gratia artis kinda weirdness (not that I have anything against it) or was there more to it?
Just curious because I'll proly never play the damn thing at this rate. :shifty:

Well the great thing about this game is that all the symbolism and meanings in design and story make sense. The red room, white room, Forest Godess. The unique weirdness adds so much to the game without being pointless or there to add random weirdness value.

On another note: I must of missed that post. I just searched twin peaks on each page but never search David Lynch. :P

Rainy Woods TGS trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbhwO7pRHA

Also check this out. Twin Peaks, Alan Wake, Heavy Rain, Rainy Woods. lol All share simliar themes......hey if there was a comparison to connect Heavy Rain and DP it could be Twin Peaks. :P

And before Twin Peaks we had.....the Shining. :D

DustyShinigami 01-07-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiAgUh (Post 597610)
She just looks like a typical pretty blonde from any game or movie to me. In fact, she reminds me a bit of...
Attachment 3108
yikes! :crazy:

We really don't agree on much of anything do we? :D

I'm sorry, but I don't see any resemblance at all. :crazy:

TiAgUh 01-07-2012 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
^ Well, we agreed that huge brain-sucking bugs are the epitome of coolness :P.
Try imagining him without all that hair gel and fake tan; how about now? Yes yes, I'm asking you to imagine Tidus coming out of the shower as punishment for changing your cool username -- now you can't get that gross image out of your head :devil: nor anyone who reads this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 597613)

Those midgets should've started boogying :crazy:. The exagerated dramatic sound that came up after the blonde looked at the red symbol really caught me off guard there, twas so hilarious :D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 597613)
And before Twin Peaks we had.....the Shining. :D

Attachment 3113

DustyShinigami 01-07-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiAgUh (Post 597644)
^ Well, we agreed that huge brain-sucking bugs are the epitome of coolness :P.

Well, I wouldn't say the 'epitome of coolness', but... :P

Quote:

Try imagining him without all that hair gel and fake tan; how about now? Yes yes, I'm asking you to imagine Tidus coming out of the shower as punishment for changing your cool username -- now you can't get that gross image out of your head :devil: nor anyone who reads this.
I'd rather not think about it thanks. I'm about to have my tea! :P And wait... what!? You thought my old username was cool!? Really? It wasn't that good - just some random word I made up. :crazy:

Unless you're yanking my crank again... :pan:

Henke 01-10-2012 03:31 PM

I've reached what looks like the end of the game now. The Survival Horror parts gets a lot more frequent during the main quests towards the end of the game. If you don't do all the side quests it probably takes up around half of the total gameplay. BTW, the final boss is one tough nut to crack. :P

DP is in some ways very similair to Lynchs Twin Peaks (more so then Alan Wake). But it definitely got its own twists (and "seeds", so says Mr. Stewart). ;)

Monolith 01-10-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henke (Post 597964)
I've reached what looks like the end of the game now. The Survival Horror parts gets a lot more frequent during the main quests towards the end of the game. If you don't do all the side quests it probably takes up around half of the total gameplay. BTW, the final boss is one tough nut to crack. :P

DP is in some ways very similair to Lynchs Twin Peaks (more so then Alan Wake). But it definitely got its own twists (and "seeds", so says Mr. Stewart). ;)

Like I said, DP use to be called Rainy Woods which was 45% twin peaks content.

Yeah I agree with the SH parts. I too didn't really do any of the sidequests and half the game was the SH parts. I don't have a problem with that, but I found myself rushing through the SH parts just to progress the story and shed a sigh of relief. :P

The boss was tough but I didn't think he was hard. Just like those 'Wall Crawlers', easy to fight, just takes to long to kill.