You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Little Big Adventure Now on GoG!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 03:06 AM   #1

Default Little Big Adventure Now on GoG!

Released today! I can't wait to play this again
I'm assuming the second one will be out soon as well.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/little_big_adventure
Old 10-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #2

I remember hating that game when I was a kid. My Dad and I bought it thinking it was an adventure, and we ended up with a platformer full of ugly characters.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 10-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
I remember hating that game when I was a kid. My Dad and I bought it thinking it was an adventure, and we ended up with a platformer full of ugly characters.
Not as ugly as those in The Longest Journey
Personally I find these series very amusing. While there's enough action, it still plays as an explorational adventure game for me. I love the characters and the world around. And the 'mood' controls was one of the best ideas in the gaming history, both in LBA and Alone in the Dark. I wish Raynal would make LBA 3 someday (he promised!).
Old 10-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
You hated the best pc game ever made (along with its sequel) in my opinion. GOG did a great thing today by making this marvellous gem available again. It is wonderfull and the joy and excitement was felt allover their forums and facebook page and other websites as well. I also joined the others in celebrating this superb game. I am a little disapointed by the lame and mute reaction on adventuregamers forums seeing thats this game is an adventure game more than anything. I expected more. Oh well...
Old 10-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by small dickie View Post
You hated the best pc game ever made (along with its sequel) in my opinion. GOG did a great thing today by making this marvellous gem available again. It is wonderfull and the joy and excitement was felt allover their forums and facebook page and other websites as well. I also joined the others in celebrating this superb game. I am a little disapointed by the lame and mute reaction on adventuregamers forums seeing thats this game is an adventure game more than anything. I expected more. Oh well...
I remember well LBA games but for now i found extremely difficult to play arcade platformers and remembered again used to save 100 mudokons but wasting patience with playing second time around simply nauseating.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by small dickie View Post
I am a little disapointed by the lame and mute reaction on adventuregamers forums seeing thats this game is an adventure game more than anything. I expected more. Oh well...
It's not surprising - it's really an action/adventure game.

Still, it's great the LBA games are getting the 're-release' treatment. I remember a friend lending me LBA2 years ago and then letting me keep it afterward. It's been such a long time since I last played it... I have them in original boxes too.

I have to be honest though, I've never completed the first game. I got as far as outside the prison... The save system puts me off. I hate how you can't save your progress and have to rely on checkpoints and loads of trial-and-error.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 10-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #7

I had the same problem as Gazzoid. I was never able to finish the first LBA because of the save system. It would be great if it were remade with a real save system.

I did finish LBA2. Hopefully GOG will get that one also.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:53 AM   #8

I remember the save system as being pretty bad... but it didn't make it UNPLAYABLE. I beat it several times back in the day... but that was when I was younger. Gonna replay it now and see how bad the system is.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #9

You guys should play the Playstation version if you have an emulator or PS3. It was released in 1997 so they fixed up a few of the design flaws in the PC version like getting hurt when you run into objects and having to constantly change your emotion.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I remember well LBA games but for now i found extremely difficult to play arcade platformers and remembered again used to save 100 mudokons but wasting patience with playing second time around simply nauseating.
You're thinking of the wrong game. Mudokons (and the save 100 quest to get the good ending) are from Oddworld : Abe's Oddysee.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 10-13-2011, 01:51 AM   #11
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
You're thinking of the wrong game. Mudokons (and the save 100 quest to get the good ending) are from Oddworld : Abe's Oddysee.

No,i gave that as second example how old platform/action days so bygone.
(Bytheway this topic on wrong section)

Last edited by Gabe; 10-13-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #12

After playing about half way through the game now, the save system isn't even all that bad. It automatically saves every time you enter a new area, which is usually like every 2 minutes if that... so it's like pretty much what every game these days does.

Main thing that bothers me are the stiff controls which make it hard to get out of the way when enemies keep spamming you with bullets. That can get really annoying. Still love the game though and I'm very glad to be able to play it again.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:13 AM   #13
The Quiet One

Little Big Adventure 2 is now available for $5.99.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #14

These games were amazing (and still are). That is all.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #15

I loved the main theme song. So jaunty, especially the version in LBA2. It fit the goofy, delightful atmosphere perfectly. A lot of games strain for childlike innocence in a cynical way, but the LBA games honestly had it. Anything could happen, and it would be cool.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchOfDoubt View Post
I loved the main theme song. So jaunty, especially the version in LBA2. It fit the goofy, delightful atmosphere perfectly. A lot of games strain for childlike innocence in a cynical way, but the LBA games honestly had it. Anything could happen, and it would be cool.
I agree, the music also made it for me. should try these games again, haven't played them in a while. I have started a collection of mens watches and it keeps me so busy.

Last edited by alterego; 02-15-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #17
Schattenjäger

i tried playing this for the first time recently and couldnt take very much of it. Its clearly got quality, and a pretty unique approach. And i think maybe if i played it 15 years ago id play right through it.
But the really awkward controls, and constant repetition if things are done slightly wrong.. I dont think im going to make it.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #18

The respawning enemies made me stop playing LBA2. Too bad, I enjoyed the hours up until then, but for me it destroyed the illusion of a convincing world and felt unfittingly arcade-y. And in general, I hate respawning enemies!
The graphics were also a bit too bright and shiny for me, it made me almost feel physically sick. Otherwise I enjoyed the many hours I spent with it, it is a truly unique and unrivaled game; a sequel is sorely missed...