You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Is anyone playing Ico and Shadow of the Collosus HD?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #1

Default Is anyone playing Ico and Shadow of the Collosus HD?

It was close to ten years ago when I first heard about Ico from THIS website and I remember discussions on the forums, under another username I've forgotten, about whether Ico would be an adventure game and, if so, would it lead to a revival of the adventure genre.

Even though it turned out to be a 3D cinematic platformer and not a traditional adventure game it was a title that interested me greatly BUT I never played it because I never owned a Playstation 2.

I just finished Ico for the first time tonight with its graphically impressive HD upgrade and it's an unforgettable experience. It definitely feels like its in the same tradition of platformers like Out of this World and especially Heart of Darkness and it's fully aware of what makes that genre resonate.

I also started Shadow of the Colossus and that game feels like it's in a completely different genre of its own. I've never seen anything quite like this so I look forward to playing the rest.

I love that these games are so sparse and don't hold your hand (no pun intended). You have to figure out what to do through pure exploration.

Has anyone bought the HD pack yet and, if so, what do you think? Particularly if you've played them on the PS2 - how do they shape up? Is it a glaring improvement in quality and gameplay?

Last edited by thejobloshow; 10-10-2011 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Apologies for spelling Colossus wrong. Very late when I posted.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #2

I bought the pack cause I had Shadow of Colossus on the PS2 but I didn't try out the HD version yet. I've never played Ico but I'm looking forward to trying it out. From what I heard Ico can almost be as frustrating as SoC but I love the desolate atmosphere in those games enough to make it worth it.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #3

I've played through all four (both games on PS2 and both HD remakes).

The core games are exactly the same, all they did was change draw distance, resolution, fog, etc.

I was floored by how great ICO looked for an early PS2 game, there were some obviously low res textures here and there, and some low polygon areas, but for a decade old game...wow!

Shadow of the Colossus didn't fare near as well. The actual colossi look great, but the vast environments that I was awed riding through the first time were dull with a lot of obvious low polygon problems. The core gameplay and story are still there, but where I was wowed by the environments and would spend time exploring the sights, most of that was lost. That might not be a victim of the boost to HD, but a victim of age.

They are still two of my favorite games of all time and I can't wait to play The Last Guardian.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #4

Here's the new artwork they used for the game select screen (was hunting all over for this): http://i.imgur.com/MpwdM.jpg

Very nice stuff. By the way, I played a couple of hours of Shadow of the Colossus and I'm up to the sixth Colossi. Holy cow, what an amazing game.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
Here's the new artwork they used for the game select screen (was hunting all over for this): http://i.imgur.com/MpwdM.jpg

Very nice stuff. By the way, I played a couple of hours of Shadow of the Colossus and I'm up to the sixth Colossi. Holy cow, what an amazing game.
They should have made that a dynamic theme, having it slowly scroll back and forth, like a time of day scroll so noon it would be all the way ICO, midnight it would be all the way SotC, etc.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #6

Crap! I just lost my post that explained how much fun I had with these games. *sigh*
Old 02-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #7

But WHY did they add trophies?

*pling* (pop-up)

It's like Sony doesn't understand what is good about these games.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #8

^You don't know why they add trophies then. Its to extend the life of the product.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/