You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Geez, who's cranky today? No wonder you have so many disputes with people on the forums.

After reading your explanation I still don't understand what you mean by "actual work in a game" and how this differs from "actual work put into a game". Why would the amount of the user's input be a sign of quality in a game? If I finish the main quest and decide not to do the side quests out of lack of interest, isn't that more telling than anything else that it isn't up to standard? Or am I just lazy? I suppose you could argue both - many players give up on adventure games because the puzzles are too hard. I don't blame them for that and wouldn't say they are not "putting enough work" into the game, yet I don't blame the developer either and wouldn't want them to make the game easier for their sake.
Cranky? I'm not cranky, just stating my opinion and facts. But I think i'm not going to be able to explain things to you. You can't seem to grasp the conversation. Again, i'm not talking to you. I was reply to burns.

You'd think I'd actually be cranky especially how you put words into my mouth, saying how I think people are ignorant for not rating a game higher. I'm only stating a psychological basis of a certain gaming audience which you can read in any game development text book and how that can affect a person's choice to rate a game badly.

If you read reviews on games that can be beat in 5 hours, the main complaint is that there is no replayability or anything else to do in the game. How long the game is on the main quest doesn't make a game bad. Thinking about eating a $50 stake. Do you eat it fast? You can, but you can't savor it. That is the exact idea behind playing games like this. Rating a game because you only played the main quest and complain about how short it is? Well you will be ignored.

Anyways i'm done talking. If no one else understands what i'm saying, please say so.

Note: Oscar, why are you continuing to talk about what I'm talking about if you still don't understand what my original post was about, especially how I've already explained it.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/

Last edited by Monolith; 11-22-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #82
handsome

I just love how this thread keeps derrailing
Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #83

So anyone hear about the continents of Morrowind and Cyrodill were made in Skyrim? If you noclip outside the boundaries you can see them. Just blank terrain but definitely enough for some interesting ideas.

Edit: Link http://kotaku.com/5861752/skyrim-con...d-and-cyrodiil

Old 11-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #84
Life and times of...

Yep. From that article:
Quote:
Could be to make your in-game maps and aerial sightseeing more realistic. They could have been used as reference when building Skyrim. Or they could be there as a modder's playground.
I think the two main theories are either that it's there for the map or (which I don't think they mentioned there) that there might be additional content later on which would include for example Morrowind (or parts of it).

But, yeah, room for a lot of interesting speculation Personally I'd love a Morrowind addition (especially the Vvardenfell island where Morrowind (the game) is set). Of course, first I'd love to get Skyrim and play that...
Old 11-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #85

I think a revisit to the Shivering Isles is most preferred.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #86
Adventure Game Researcher

I have played Oblvion and modded for it for six years and never go to Shivering Isles at all, that was the worst part of the entire project. Skyrim will have multiplayer i am hearing rumors of..no details yet but that is intriguing.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 11-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #87

Skyrim will not have Multiplayer. The rumors are absolutely false. Modding wise, it could.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #88
Life and times of...

I'm not digging all the realistic blood & stuff. I want my combat nice and unrealistic, so it doesn't feel like I'm actually killing people I'm a forced mage/archer now (though I don't mind much - I probably would've been otherwise too), 'cause I don't want to watch all the close-up slashing with the swords and all...

In other news, loving Skyrim (finally got it on friday).

Of course, at least on these low levels and the original difficulty, just putting double flames non-stop on everything attacking me gives them no chance...
Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #89
handsome

Are you a man or a mouse, UP!? Drop and give me 100!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Skyrim will not have Multiplayer. The rumors are absolutely false. Modding wise, it could.
If so I hope they do something better then the useless Fallout3 one monitor co-op, the modders I mean.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
I'm not digging all the realistic blood & stuff. I want my combat nice and unrealistic, so it doesn't feel like I'm actually killing people I'm a forced mage/archer now (though I don't mind much - I probably would've been otherwise too), 'cause I don't want to watch all the close-up slashing with the swords and all...
Wow I didn't know people like that still exist. You have my respect.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneckchen ^.^ View Post
Wow I didn't know people like that still exist. You have my respect.
Funny, I totally skipped that comment to check this page for new posts.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #92
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
I'm not digging all the realistic blood & stuff. I want my combat nice and unrealistic, so it doesn't feel like I'm actually killing people
You're not alone in it, some prefer it that way, some need it to convince their parents to let them play the game at all. There were parent convincing mods for Oblivion and there are for Skyrim.

If you're playing on the PC, the Skyrimnexus has 'no blood' mods and a 'no deathblows' mod so you don't see swords and such stabbing into people or lopping off their heads in slow motion.

Quote:
Of course, at least on these low levels and the original difficulty, just putting double flames non-stop on everything attacking me gives them no chance...
Mages cruise the early levels because you can practically one shot everything. You can keep it going with the dual casting upgrades (both hands wield same spell) but eventually you have to address the fact that you're a paper tiger and learn some protection spells or enchant some armour with mage robe like bonuses.

I prefer to carefully manage a strong melee companion and keep them alive with Restoration magic (healing hands), and boost them with Illusion magic (rally). But that means I'm still at risk of becoming a pin cushion or ambushed.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #93
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
You're not alone in it, some prefer it that way, some need it to convince their parents to let them play the game at all. There were parent convincing mods for Oblivion and there are for Skyrim.
How realistic is the blood in this? Actually realistic or over the top gory?
Cause I don't mind gore. In fact, I always take the "Bloody mess" perk in Fallout, just because it looks better that way. Always fun how in Fallout 3 a headshot not only resulted in a decapitation but was somehow powerful enough to tear out all limbs too!

Quote:
Mages cruise the early levels because you can practically one shot everything. You can keep it going with the dual casting upgrades (both hands wield same spell) but eventually you have to address the fact that you're a paper tiger and learn some protection spells or enchant some armour with mage robe like bonuses.

I prefer to carefully manage a strong melee companion and keep them alive with Restoration magic (healing hands), and boost them with Illusion magic (rally). But that means I'm still at risk of becoming a pin cushion or ambushed.
Is the game harder or easier when playing as a mage? And how about as a melee tank? Allround I mean, not just the first levels.

My question basically boils down to: how well balanced is the combat system?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Cause I don't mind gore. In fact, I always take the "Bloody mess" perk in Fallout, just because it looks better that way.
It's definitely not over the top as in Dragon Age 2 where people just explode into 50 foot high clouds of blood when you poke em with a dagger. That game was just ridiculous.

It's mostly just little squirts of blood even when people get decapitated. It's bloody enough but not overdone.

Quote:
Is the game harder or easier when playing as a mage? And how about as a melee tank? Allround I mean, not just the first levels.

My question basically boils down to: how well balanced is the combat system?
It's usually easier playing as a ranged class, be it mage or ranger because you can keep your distance and do more damage. But it's like that in most games.

However, I'm playing as a warrior with a 2 hander and the game's still easy enough to put it on hard mode but I think that's largely because I'm also a blacksmith and create my own great gear and I have an AI companion to help me fight.

I would just play it and if it's too easy or hard, adjust the difficulty to suit your playstyle.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #95
Life and times of...

I want to ask you about something that has irked me before and seriously irks me now - how is the manual in the other countries? Because here we have the localized manual, which here means (and this is not the only game) a whopping two pages of information on four different languages. And the information is all stuff that is in the tutorials (that is, what the buttons do and what the different things on the screen mean).

And earlier I've had these same manuals when the original manuals have been full of information. And this is a game where a manual really comes in handy (instead of most games, such as FPS). Like, in character creation there's no information about what the different races actually have, and you're supposed to rely on the general, no-real-info, in-game desctiption?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hate localization

So, I take it that in reality Skyrim is supposed to have an actual manual too, right?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #96

If you buy the PC version of the game, it gets added to your Steam account, from where you can download a pdf version of the full manual. It's completely useless, though. I remember referring to Oblivion's manual a few times because it had some useful info, but Skyrim's is pretty short (20 pages) and just explains the controls; I've never needed it.

(If I have doubts about a specific point regarding game mechanics, I generally just open the Steam overlay and look it up online.)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 12-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneckchen ^.^ View Post
It's definitely not over the top as in Dragon Age 2 where people just explode into 50 foot high clouds of blood when you poke em with a dagger. That game was just ridiculous.

It's mostly just little squirts of blood even when people get decapitated. It's bloody enough but not overdone.
Really? I don't recall Dragon Age 2 being bloodier or gorier than Skyrim. I don't recall people exploding like that. I thought it was quite realistic, and no Kill Bill action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
If you buy the PC version of the game, it gets added to your Steam account, from where you can download a pdf version of the full manual. It's completely useless, though. I remember referring to Oblivion's manual a few times because it had some useful info, but Skyrim's is pretty short (20 pages) and just explains the controls; I've never needed it.

(If I have doubts about a specific point regarding game mechanics, I generally just open the Steam overlay and look it up online.)
Well a lot of games now are including the manual inside the game. :/

Quote:
Cause I don't mind gore. In fact, I always take the "Bloody mess" perk in Fallout, just because it looks better that way. Always fun how in Fallout 3 a headshot not only resulted in a decapitation but was somehow powerful enough to tear out all limbs too!
hahaha, this effect was totally random and surprising in the first two games, mainly because the camera is so static, then once you hear a gun shot "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM". lol It was so beautiful.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #98
Filmfreak

Quote:
Really? I don't recall Dragon Age 2 being bloodier or gorier than Skyrim. I don't recall people exploding like that. I thought it was quite realistic, and no Kill Bill action.
You're kidding, right?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #99

Quote:
You're kidding, right?

Wow never experienced that when playing the game and I was a rogue. :/

Old 12-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #100
Filmfreak

Quote:
Wow never experienced that when playing the game and I was a rogue. :/
I played as a warrior, and nearly every battle had a few of those splatter moments...