You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannik View Post
So far I'm really enjoying the game. The biggest flaw, in my opinion, is that while the world itself is fantastic, the rest of the game is "just" very solid. Neither the story, the characters or the gameplay have brought any "big moments" so far.
That has always been the knock on Bethesda's games, excellently crafted world, mediocre writing, mediocre animations and bad combat (especially short range).

All that being said, I have a blast playing them, I just wish the writing was more compelling and the combat more competent.

My only specific knock on Skyrim is the fact that dragons are such pushovers in comparison to giants and even some vanilla NPCs.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11 View Post
That has always been the knock on Bethesda's games, excellently crafted world, mediocre writing, mediocre animations and bad combat (especially short range).

All that being said, I have a blast playing them, I just wish the writing was more compelling and the combat more competent.

My only specific knock on Skyrim is the fact that dragons are such pushovers in comparison to giants and even some vanilla NPCs.
Thats the one thing I don't like about the companions. Fallout New Vegas took a page out of the book of Bioware games and made you interact with your companion, talk to them, and learn more about them while getting a quest to learn their backstory. This way each companion could be ever so different and unique.

Thats all my main complaint of the game. :/

Actually thats one complaint anyone could have for most RPG's. Once you talk and completed all the options of dialogue, what else is there to think of toward that NPC.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 11-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #63

Yeah, otherwise it's like:

Old 11-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #64

hahahahaha, nice post. I love Dorkly.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:04 AM   #65
Schättenjager

I believe no problem to fix your companion a horse,Bethesda should release it with first dlc asap.But maybe not necessary at all coz after first fight you engage she'll lose it or slow you down eventually or best to add an option to let her riding tandem.

Last edited by Gabe; 11-20-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I believe no problem to fix your companion a horse,Bethesda should release it with first dlc asap.But maybe not necessary at all coz after first fight you engage she'll lose it or slow you down eventually or best to add an option to let her riding tandem.
Shouldn't be a problem especially since you can only have one companion at a time.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #67
Senior Automaton

I can't see how anyone can ever complete Elder Scrolls games. Open world games are fine with me, but these.... travel for an hour across the map to reach the next quest, which only takes 10 minutes to do. Then set off again to the other side of the map again. It's insane, and frankly quite boring to do this not once or twice, but dozens of times. I've already had to traverse up the endless path to the monastery three times simply because the game wants me to. Yes, I'm complaining. Other games have done this better.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:48 AM   #68
Schättenjager

That's why fast travel option exist just put your marker on explored places.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #69

Larger cities and towns can also be reached by carriage for a small amount of gold, even if you haven't visited them before, so the traveling system is actually quite flexible, in my opinion. Just go to the stables, and talk to the person driving the carriage. After you accept the ride, the game will transport you instantly to the location.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
I can't see how anyone can ever complete Elder Scrolls games. Open world games are fine with me, but these.... travel for an hour across the map to reach the next quest, which only takes 10 minutes to do. Then set off again to the other side of the map again. It's insane, and frankly quite boring to do this not once or twice, but dozens of times. I've already had to traverse up the endless path to the monastery three times simply because the game wants me to. Yes, I'm complaining. Other games have done this better.
Like its already pointed out. Fast travel. I only had to do it once. It was spectacular, then I just had to click on the location again and i'm back where I need to be. :/

Old 11-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #71
Senior Automaton

There are very few carriages, and even if you find one, it's hardly going to take you up a rocky path to a monastery or to many other places you need to go. It's not a convenient solution. Maybe if there was a teleportation spell... And in fact I thought the game did a good job getting rid of backtracking in the dungeons when they always had shortcut at the end when you reached your goal.

But I'm really just questioning why the map needs to be so big when so few of the quests are related to the main plot, which is the feeling I got from the previous TES games. Maybe I'm just less suited to these kind of games than to their less bloated counterparts, like the Gothic and Risen series.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:01 AM   #72
Schättenjager

Quote:
There are very few carriages, and even if you find one, it's hardly going to take you up a rocky path to a monastery or to many other places you need to go. It's not a convenient solution. Maybe if there was a teleportation spell... And in fact I thought the game did a good job getting rid of backtracking in the dungeons when they always had shortcut at the end when you reached your goal.

But I'm really just questioning why the map needs to be so big when so few of the quests are related to the main plot, which is the feeling I got from the previous TES games. Maybe I'm just less suited to these kind of games than to their less bloated counterparts, like the Gothic and Risen series.
If only you could able to read as well as you can write..
Old 11-21-2011, 02:53 AM   #73
Senior Automaton

You mean to tell me I don't have to go find a carriage? Why are some people telling me I do? I'm confused.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #74
Schättenjager

Quote:
You mean to tell me I don't have to go find a carriage? Why are some people telling me I do? I'm confused.
1.When outdoors open your map,
2.Click the icon of already explored place,
3.Ask you fast travel here?
4.Say yes an you'll be there,
See no need to get confused.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:47 AM   #75
Schättenjager

When i see some players even finishing it without using main options ,how unaware riches of content,going after so called main story overlooking whats meaning of open world is, i wonder how many % of this game going unnoticed by general players,what a pity..

I'll be at Winterhold for one week btw,train magic,study at library,save some money for advance levels,pursue collage related missions and became diplomaed mage.Next stop is bard collage my goal is a being a metaphysician musician.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #76

My Orc finds that the only good use the mage's college has is adding handsomely to his skull collection.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
When i see some players even finishing it without using main options ,how unaware riches of content,going after so called main story overlooking whats meaning of open world is, i wonder how many % of this game going unnoticed by general players,what a pity..

I'll be at Winterhold for one week btw,train magic,study at library,save some money for advance levels,pursue collage related missions and became diplomaed mage.Next stop is bard collage my goal is a being a metaphysician musician.
A lot of games get bad ratings mainly because the general gaming public are completely oblivious to actual work in a game. If it doens't cater to you, the game sucks, even if it does cater to you, they are just oblivious to their environments.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #78
Senior Automaton

There's no point imposing a single standard on everyone so that if they don't like something that you do, they must be ignorant. Most art has great time and effort put into it - are you saying you yourself would never give any game a bad rating, Monolith? That's rather boring, isn't it?
Old 11-22-2011, 12:30 AM   #79

Quote:
There's no point imposing a single standard on everyone so that if they don't like something that you do, they must be ignorant. Most art has great time and effort put into it - are you saying you yourself would never give any game a bad rating, Monolith? That's rather boring, isn't it?
Notice I said "actual work in a game" instead of "Actual work put into a game". One describes the user's input. The other is the developer input. Learn to read.

It wasn't even a reply to you. Maybe you should read what i'm replying to, to understand what i'm talking about.

A good example is the type of person that hates a game because they beat it in 5 hours, and did nothing else but the main quest. This is a common thing for gamers who don't play RPG's but only games that get the media attention. Who knows they might be a Gears of War gamer or Uncharted gamer and aren't exposed to these types of games.

Edit: And in reply to me not giving bad ratings to a game. I really dont give bad ratings. I play games I think i'll enjoy, and I pretty much never have expectations beyond what is advertised. Over and over someone complains about something because of an expectation that came out of thin air. The last game I had huge expectations for was Half-Life 2, but I knew what I was getting into because I watched the tech demo's, I watched the trailers, and so on.

I avoid games usually when the bad ratings are given because of game mechanic flaws or just being bad. Not because a reviewer thought it could of been better if the game was more colorful or because the character voice should of been different. Gameplay flaws are factual, opinions are usually not. I enjoy games, I know when I feel like playing an RPG or not. I know when I'm tired of playing adventure games. Thats the thing, if I don't really feel like playing it, then I will not get the most out of it.

Every game I played in the past year I absolutely enjoyed with the exception for a couple of mechanical flaws like in Dead Island.

This also leads to my opinion on people complaining about overmarketing a game. There is nothing wrong with it.

Thats all I'm going to say about why I rarely rate a bad game.

Last edited by Monolith; 11-22-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:13 AM   #80
Senior Automaton

Geez, who's cranky today? No wonder you have so many disputes with people on the forums.

After reading your explanation I still don't understand what you mean by "actual work in a game" and how this differs from "actual work put into a game". Why would the amount of the user's input be a sign of quality in a game? If I finish the main quest and decide not to do the side quests out of lack of interest, isn't that more telling than anything else that it isn't up to standard? Or am I just lazy? I suppose you could argue both - many players give up on adventure games because the puzzles are too hard. I don't blame them for that and wouldn't say they are not "putting enough work" into the game, yet I don't blame the developer either and wouldn't want them to make the game easier for their sake.