You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General "...and my jaw dropped." (pivotal gaming moments)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2004, 01:33 PM   #41

Heh yeah I too find myself amazed like every 3 months. The whole thing (gaming) is just moving so fast. Of the things not already mentioned though:

*Deus Ex1 & 2 - These games made me realise that gaming would some day end up being beautifully non-linear. I can't pick out one single moment in the (first) game that stands out, because it all does! It's like everywhere you go and every choice you make really influences the story, and around every corner lurks a new conspiracy or sub-plot. I'd never played anything "rpg"-based before, but I though it felt more like an inventory system, with biomods as an added bonus. Also the stories were nicely incoorporated in the gameplay. Overall a very enjoyable experience, and it left me wanting more.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:38 PM   #42
merely human

* Deus Ex - the vanishing into a deeply vast world of choices, consequences, responsibilities, and philosophical and ethical weights and measures. This game is, brilliantly, NOT for horny 14-year-olds. Far from it. Alongside Thief, the Silent Hill series, and the Hitman series, Deus Ex is the only computer game to meet me on my level of intellectual and emotional maturations as an adult. My jaw dropped with Deus Ex - and it dropped profoundly.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-17-2004, 05:57 PM   #43
Squeaky

Ones already mentioned by others:
Grim Fandango
The whole thing but especially, as Remixor mentioned, the transition where you find out what Manny has done to Rubacava. Made my hairs stand on end. Speaking of hair standing on end...
System Shock 2
The first zombie. The first ghost. The twist, even though you were expecting it (if you'd played the first game). I was bug-eyed for days after finishing this game.
Alice
Being absolutely stunned by the inspired banquet of eye candy served up by almost every level. The sheer brilliance of the graphic/level design accounts for nearly all of the 3.5 stars in my sig rating.
Half Life
The Black Mesa intro. 'nuff said on that one already.

A few that I don't think are on the list yet:
Myst 3: Exile
The final reward when you complete the Amateria age. I reloaded time after time after time just to watch it again. My jaw truly dropped - it's never been the same since.
Homeworld
Panning around the mothership in full 3D for the first time. And the nebula effects. Mmmm...
Bioforge
The intro. So atmospheric. So good looking. Absolutely blew me away at the time.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:02 AM   #44

I did some more 'research' about 'another world' because I was really happy to know the title again
I found lots of screenshots at mobygames, discovered an amiga emulator (win)uae and the game itself. I have to say I'm really into emulators, I still play donkey kong country (another gem!!) on a snes emulator from time to time.
Anyway, this amiga emulator even offers the possibility to record movies, and so I did: I captured the intro (XViD, because it's open source) and put it (after cropping the black borders with virtual dub) online. It's at http://users.pandora.be/mdg/test.avi (size +/-8.3MB). No additional filters are used
I still like it a lot...

(feel free to delete this link if it's not legal; I'm not quite sure myself, but the game is from '91, Amiga is dead, and what is the difference between posting screenshots and videos (=sequences of still images)?)
Old 04-20-2004, 07:58 AM   #45
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird
I captured the intro (XViD, because it's open source) and put it (after cropping the black borders with virtual dub) online. It's at http://users.pandora.be/mdg/test.avi (size +/-8.3MB). No additional filters are used
I still like it a lot...
Good work! I haven't seen that intro for ages, and it's been even longer since I've seen the action synchronised with the music - it relied on the speed of the Amiga 500 and anything better made the action run too fast - so it was good to get the chance to see it again. A very impressive intro for the time, and the style means it's aged pretty well. Not sure about the English translation though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird
(feel free to delete this link if it's not legal; I'm not quite sure myself, but the game is from '91, Amiga is dead, and what is the difference between posting screenshots and videos (=sequences of still images)?)
Seeing as there's been no objection to lengthy video captures of Full Throttle in action - and sites like Gamespot have video clips of modern games, something which would be nice to see on more sites (cough hint? Maybe!) - I think it's fine!
Old 04-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #46
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Geez, I get the feeling I really need to play System Shock 2...

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 04-20-2004, 01:21 PM   #47
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

scariest gaming moment ever - System Shock II.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 04-20-2004, 02:05 PM   #48
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
scariest gaming moment ever - System Shock II.
Anything....specific?
Old 04-20-2004, 04:18 PM   #49
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Geez, I get the feeling I really need to play System Shock 2...
It's on my "list" too - actually, I did start playing it once, but I got frustrated and gave up. It was certainly creepy, but there was nothing - up until that point anyway - that made me leap out of my seat. That probably had something to do with the fact that I was constantly wary, as computer games seem to be able to scare me in a way that movies don't - "Hired Guns" on the Amiga made me jump all the time!

I originally got SS2 from a certain hound-related web site but I see they've replaced the download with a link to an online store, so it looks like it's been re-released!

For my abandonware sins I also got one of those fun "dialler" popups and all hell broke loose. Mohh!
Old 04-20-2004, 07:31 PM   #50
merely human

I've only played the SS2 demo, but that was one scary moment. I hadn't felt that nervous since Silent Hill and the Cathedral levels in Thief: The Dark Project. Eventually I'll play the full game.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-20-2004, 08:03 PM   #51
Hopeful skeptic

Creepy and atmospheric would be better descriptions of SS2 than scary (at least for me). Relentless tension. Edge of the seat, but not jumping out of it. It's very much a Survival Horror/RPG, despite its obvious surface similarities to standard FPS games. Ammo, health, and other resources are scarce, and caution is an absolute must.

The few outright scares were usually the result of one of the game's flaws - respawning creatures. I know WHY they did it, and fortunately it wasn't overdone, but it was still a mistake.

Still, the game is definitely worth playing if only for one of gaming's most outstanding adversaries - SHODAN. Simply brilliant. Every time she called me "insect" was a memorable moment.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:05 PM   #52
Iconoclast

System Shock 2 is awesome. It is probably starting to look a bit dated now, but I know there is a group of people doing or have done a mod to improve the graphics. Mostly to create higher polygon models and better textures if I recall correctly. I think I will go see if I can find it. It would be worth playing again if they finished the graphics upgrade.

EDIT: The links were easy enough to find. The first is for the models and the 2nd for the textures

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aube...ck_rebirth.htm

http://texturemod.wz.cz/

Last edited by Bastich; 04-20-2004 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:25 AM   #53
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

That higher polygon models project hasn't progressed in a long time, the guy who is behind that project is working on Arx Fatalis 2 at the moment so he has no time to update it further.

But even at this moment the beta looks great.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:30 PM   #54

When I booted up Monkey Island 2 on my Amiga 500 with no harddrive, and saw the marvellous intro and heard the lovely music.

When I saw the startup screen of Playstation 2. It was a moment worth remembering. The same day, when I got to play the SSX demo and a certain racing game called Wild Wild Racing. I was impressed, truly impressed. Although today, Wild Wild Racing isn't exactly a spectacular game.

When I got the Gran Turismo 3 demo from a Playstation 2 magazine.
When I got Gran Turismo 3.
When I saw Grand Theft Auto 3 on the shelves at my local gamestore.
When I got home, started the game, and played it for the very first time.
When I got Final Fantasy X, played the game from a fresh point of view. Today my mind is spoiled by the thousands of negative thoughts about the game after playing the game for way too long.

The day when a remake of the classic Pirates! was announced.

The Final Fantasy XII movies.

Playing Final Fantasy VII was one insanely long jaw-dropping experience. My favourite game of all time. Before I played FFVII, Monkey Island 2 was my favourite game of all time, now it's "just" a close second.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:15 AM   #55
Eiran Psychonaut

Send a message via AIM to Yufster Send a message via MSN to Yufster

Monkey Island!! How could I forget?

Monkey Island 1 was the most spine shiverly awesome intro of all time! So cool! And MI2... whoops, dribbled a little there.

If anybody remembers the Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes... man, that was awesome too. The beginning, where the girl gets murdered and she screams and... and...

Click and be Damned!

I love S&M!!!
Old 04-23-2004, 09:06 PM   #56

Don't know if this will work

When I first saw this scene my jaw did indeed drop.

Syberia intro

Final Fantasy VII - end of Disc 1

Silent Hill - first entering the Alternate School; Lisa's death, both sad and disturbing at the same time

Final Fantasy VIII - Esthar City, and the fantastic ending FMV

Final Fantasy IX - Terra and Crystal World

Grim Fandango - The 'one year later' in Rubacava

Silent Hill 4 trailer

Resident Evil 4 (Biohazard 4) trailer

Hearing Monkey Island's music for the first time
Old 04-26-2004, 10:07 PM   #57
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

The music outside the Cafe Calavera in Grim Fandango. I'd have Manny wander around aimlessly just so I could listen to it.

The ending of The Neverhood. "Half a cheer for Klaymen! Hip-hip-hoo!"

The part in Chrono Trigger when a certain main character dies, and is later brought back to life... *sniff*
Old 04-27-2004, 08:11 PM   #58
Club a seal or two

The level designs in Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight is jaw-droppingly good, even by today's standards.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:31 AM   #59
No justice. Only me.

Serious Sam: Seeing the final boss for the first time, watching him smash his way in a matter of seconds through the entire level I just played through.

Half-Life: The opening scene, with the attempt at creating a resonance cascade. Then everything went to hell, and I thought: "Well now, here we go." And I didn't even have a weapon yet.
Another Half-Life moment was getting to the level "Surface Tension," and finally getting outside for the first time. Then I thought: "Oh wait... helicopters."
And of course, the level "Blast Pit," with the tentacles that couldn't see you, but could HEAR you.

Grim Fandango: The first ride of the Bonewagon.

Deus Ex: The first level, realizing all the different approaches I could take. I actually defeated the purpose of the game design by trying to do ALL the approaches, thus seeing everything and getting all of the skill points that I could.

Far Cry: Pushing barrels down a hill at enemies and watching the physics engine in action.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #60
Typo Queen

Having grown up on platform games like Mario, I never knew about RPG-style games that had a movie- or book-like plot. My (now-ex) boyfriend bought me Final Fantasy IX when I got my Playstation (used from a friend, lol) and I was just amazed. I cried at the end. I never knew a video game could make ya cry.