You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #1
merely human

Default Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Uncharted 3 E3 Official Trailer (video)

Uncharted 3 Gameplay Demo E3 2011
(video) : Fighting and surviving in a sinking cruise ship. Aw Drake, what now?

Release date - November 1, 2011 (Europe Nov. 4)

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Psychonaut

It looks fantastic and was probably my No 2 game at the recent E3 show (behing Bioshock Infinite).
Old 06-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
merely human

Meet ya for some online co-op if you get it!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #4

Great to see some action arabia. Also love the Poseidon Adventure-esque cruise ship level.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 AM   #5

screenshots look great.

I´ve only seen the very first teaser and refuse to watch anything else till the release.

This game will be awesome, have no doubt about that.

Uncharted 2 was one of the best gaming experiences I´ve ever had. Even watching a friend of mine playing through it at my place was very entertaining.

It was fun to see how reacted to all the surprises and actions setpieces.
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 06-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Homer of Kittens

This game is looking amazing. Like Tiocfaidh, I have been avoiding the spoiler trailers, because to me part of the wonders of the Uncharted games are the surprises and the unknowns. Can't wait for the release.

Firefox rules
Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh View Post
Uncharted 2 was one of the best gaming experiences I´ve ever had.
So true! It justified the purchase of my PS3. In fact, I don't need any review, trailer or screenshot to buy the next title!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #8

oh man!
I wish I had PS3.... mmm one day...one day
Old 06-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
merely human

PSN Tuesday: Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta is here | Joystiq

Quote:
Today's PSN update marks the beginning of the PlayStation Plus-exclusive Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta. However, PlayStation Plus membership was offered as part of the "Welcome Back" package, meaning the "exclusive" beta is not so exclusive. In fact, it's essentially open to everyone using the PS Store (if they've activated those free memberships -- you only have until July 3 to do so), so there will be a lot of people rushing to download the beta.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
Lovable rogue

That feeling when you've been eagerly waiting for a game for 2 years, only to find you complete it in 8 and a half hours, and it's easily the worst in the trilogy.

Words cannot express how disappointed I am with this game. It's short, it's linear, it's repetitive, it's predictable, the story is shallow and makes no growth, there's no diversity in the enemies, many of the locations are dull, the fist-fighting mechanics have turned every instance of hand to hand combat into a QTE, there are even fewer puzzles than in previous games, the ending is a huge anti climax; there's not even a final boss fight, the game just takes possibly the most important moment out of your hands and deals with it in a cutscene.

I'd like to think that the online multiplayer could make up for it in some way, but it's so similar to the last game that it actually recycles four of the old maps.

I played Uncharted 2 three times and collected every trophy, but I really have no desire to play this one ever again. Had I known what it would be like I would have waited for it to fall into the bargain bin, instead of going out of my way to get it on release day.

/rant

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 11-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
handsome

Gametrailers' editor-in-chief praised the game like crazy, especially the story (how it makes you question your\Drake's role in all of it and stuff).

But now I dunno if its worth buying anymore!! (played the 1st one but got bored after awhile).
Old 11-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #12

Really? The first game wasn't my favorite because I played the second one before it. The first one didn't really much on ingenious puzzles, cinematic action, and so on. It felt like a straight up third person shooter with a bit of puzzle action.

Although I can't say I didn't like the story. I LOVED IT TO DEATH. Both games just screamed an interactive indiana jones game with the second gaming screaming adventure!

I played the demo for the third game at Best Buy. Holy crap the controls felt weird and buggy. I don't know if it was because I haven't played a ps3 game in a while, but I found myself struggling to get Drake to do what I want him to do. Anyone else have this issue in the demo?

Old 11-07-2011, 04:01 AM   #13
handsome

Tribute to I.J. or not, the overly clichéd setting really didn't help the meh gameplay you've described (I guess we're always bound to disagree on something dude). The second one seemed about the same from the trailers, plus trainwrecks, so I skipped that one.

Btw here's the link to what I was talking about (GTs' praise) - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ep...e-walls/723333
He starts around 30min.

He says something like theres now a deeper meaning to it's typical treasure-hunting story; existential questions and things like that. Thats why I was thinking about buying this one but Jatsie ruined it all now.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:20 AM   #14

I guess its safe to say these aren't your types of games, even if I feel that you are completely wrong about the series. Agree to disagree.

They say deeper meaning, but what else do you say when you have to trump the previous game? You'll probably hate this game too.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #15

I think it's the best Uncharted so far. Ah well. Some people will even say that Skyrim sucks. Can't please everyone.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #16
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
I played the demo for the third game at Best Buy. Holy crap the controls felt weird and buggy. I don't know if it was because I haven't played a ps3 game in a while, but I found myself struggling to get Drake to do what I want him to do. Anyone else have this issue in the demo?
I haven't noticed it that much myself, but last night I was discussing our mutual disappointment in this game with a couple of my friends who I used to play Uncharted 2 with online a lot, and they both commented that something felt not quite right about the controls now, compared to the last game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
He says something like theres now a deeper meaning to it's typical treasure-hunting story; existential questions and things like that. Thats why I was thinking about buying this one but Jatsie saved me some money.
Fixed that for you, haha. Monolith is right though, if you didn't like the previous games then you're unlikely to enjoy this one.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Last edited by Jatsie; 11-07-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #17
handsome

^ Well, many reviews keep saying the same thing: way more variety and some of the best moments in gaming. Plus what has been said from the story, this one seemed a no-brainer. Thanks for slapping some sense into me, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
They say deeper meaning, but what else do you say when you have to trump the previous game? (...)
They? Who has to trump the previous game? Dunno if I'm confusing things here bud, but "They" is a reviewer from Gametrailers.com, not Naughty Dog or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneckchen ^.^ View Post
Ah well. Some people will even say that Skyrim sucks. Can't please everyone.
You do know Skyrim is just a pretty techdemo for the new Fallout, right?

Last edited by TiAgUh; 11-07-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
They? Who has to trump the previous game? Dunno if I'm confusing things here bud, but "They" is a reviewer from Gametrailers.com, not Naughty Dog or something.
Game trailers. Enough said.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #19

I finished Uncharted 3 yesterday and I thought it was an amazing experience, but it still had many obstacles in its way to achieving what the designers wanted - a truly cinematic experience that was interactive.

Mainly, my criticism was that the combat was taking me out of the story. All throughout the game you encounter waves and waves of enemies to shoot and there was no way for these parts to feel like they served a greater purpose to the story rather than just being the "combat" part of the game.

The platforming, the chases and the puzzles succeeded in this aspect though and are integrated into the narrative very well. Also, if we are going to dissect the literary value of the game, I should point out that Uncharted shares the same problem that was all throughout Heavy Rain - relying too much on coincidences and random encounters to drive the game forward rather than actual cause and effect. There's a new character who appears towards the end of Uncharted 3 who just comes out of no where and while that's forgivable, it's a pretty hokey way to segueway from one sequence to the next.

Also, to be a little selfish - I wish there was more interactivity in the game's ending. Specifically,
Spoiler:
I would have liked the option to choose to save Marlowe or to let her sink into the quicksand

Otherwise, this game is really satisfying and just writing about it has made me want to play it again. The characters, the score and the action are some of the best elements you'll experience this generation. It makes me excited for the new Tomb Raider.