You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Schättenjager

Default The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings

New site launched today, counting seconds for release
www.en.thewitcher.com
Looks like the rpg we've been waiting

Old 05-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #2

I admit, I enjoyed the first game but I wouldn't rate it as a classic, but it does look like they've worked their arses off to make a five star sequel. odd there's been no mention of Shani being in it though, especially given the ability to import saves
anyway, if the gameplay and story are both as good as the hype then it should be a pretty damn good game. time will tell
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 05-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
delusions of adequacy

I bought it on GOG. Even if it could be had cheaper at other digital retailers, CDProject get more from the sale.

I doubt my computer can even run it, but I wanted to support the developers for their commitment to the pc market, especially given recent big name turncoats.

I also have to mention strong support for GoG.com's intelligently implemented region system... It is not illegal for me to import titles banned in my country, its only illegal for local retailers to offer it for sale. By gaming the region system on GoG.com I was able to 'import' the title over the internet, and get the full version. This is how digital retail should always be. Steam can take it up the backside with a rusty pipe for their pathetic region locking.

The game was originally knocked back for sale in Australia because of our poorly implemented rating system. Luck of the draw who reviews your title and what rating it will be classified under.

Believe it or not it was knocked back because a quest contained sex as a reward for completion.

I guess whoever rated the title in Australia doesn't watch television, read magazines, look at billboards or listen to the radio... where sex as reward has been the dominant method of advertising for decades if not centuries.

You can buy Lynx deodorant in our supermarkets even if you're under 15 years old.

Ranting done (hopefully).
Old 05-14-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
Schättenjager

Free dlcs,the things there are more important than money!

Old 05-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #5

emphasis on don't pirate the game.......yesterday I saw the game on certain sites so I know the willing are going to do it.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 05-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
J.H
Frak.

This game looks amazing, the interaction and independent movement of the villagers really adds to the immersion, even just watching the videos.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Schattenjäger

hmm, i tried the first game once and couldnt really see what the hype was about. I suspect i should give it another try. It seemed too bland and linear to me, but it must get better..
Old 05-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
hmm, i tried the first game once and couldnt really see what the hype was about. I suspect i should give it another try. It seemed too bland and linear to me, but it must get better..
Did you even play The Witcher to say that? The choice here will be the same in Witcher 2, by aligning yourself to different factions, new quests and new scenarios involving only on that faction will trigger and thus the ending will reflect on it. Get ready for most twisting rpg with 4 different beginnings and 16 different ending.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
it does. there's some branching paths later in the game that make for some replayability (there's also one fairly early that makes a few big changes to the next part of the game) plus a few quests have multiple solutions
I'd also suggest making sure you have the enhanced edition, I haven't tried the original release but from what I've heard it was quite hard to see the potential through all the bugs and stuff. I believe there's a free upgrade available

anyway, Witcher 1 is by no means (in my opinion) as strong as DA: Origins, Baldurs Gate or Jade Empire, but it is a fun game with a good story and some interesting characters
downsides are the lack of character customisation, but that's essential to the story since you play a character from a series of books (game takes place at the end of the books and having read them is not essential to understanding the game) and it's also a bit sexist, but again this is apparently largely due to the source material and it's not quite as bad as some reviews make out
you'll also be able to import a Witcher 1 save into the sequel in order to carry forward the decisions made
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 05-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #10
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
You'll also be able to import a Witcher 1 save into the sequel in order to carry forward the decisions made
I hope there's some Gibbed equivalent like there was for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2.

I only have my save game from supporting the Order and siding with Siegfried, but I have no idea if I chose Triss over Chani (I'm thinking Chani, since I recall leaving the Order as my last play through).

I have no copies of my saves where I supported no one but Triss (siding with neither Order or Squirrels defaults to siding with the Mages, raising them in influence with the King, and thus benefits Triss). This is my preferred import.

I have no saves from siding with the Squirrels either.

Not sure I have the patience to play through the game twice more, all over again.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:49 AM   #11
Schättenjager

2 will start from neutral ending with Triss,i've finished 2 times but couldnt stay neutral,anyway here are the ending saves :

Order, Triss: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FVFOJTQP
Neutral, Triss: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EKDCZW6Q
Scoia'tael, Triss: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8EMTWZTO
Neutral, Shani: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WQHMT19O
Scoia'tael, Shani : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L11DCRD1
Old 05-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #12
sleeper

I think I'll just stick with a clean start, even though I played the original. Can't really remember what choice I made.

Anyways, pre-ordered from gog.com and 9.3 gb pre-loaded! Can't wait.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #13

Its not like this is Mass Effect where all your choices matter in previous games, so I'll just clean start this baby.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:47 AM   #14
Schättenjager

This game remind me pre-console era when games are not downgraded due to limitations,what means to be pc exclusive, quality and details approach totally uplifting.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #15
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
2 will start from neutral ending with Triss,i've finished 2 times but couldnt stay neutral,anyway here are the ending saves :

Order, Triss: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FVFOJTQP
Neutral, Triss: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EKDCZW6Q
Scoia'tael, Triss: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8EMTWZTO
Neutral, Shani: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WQHMT19O
Scoia'tael, Shani : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L11DCRD1
Thanks for the saves, Gabe.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
This game remind me pre-console era when games are not downgraded due to limitations,what means to be pc exclusive, quality and details approach totally uplifting.
You do realize limitations make great games? everything except the graphics can be done with current "Limited" technology.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #17
Replicant

Fantastic game from the little so far I've played. While Dragon Age 2 represented everything negative about modern day gaming/RPGs with the endless dumbing down, pay-to-play DLC, cutting corners, pandering to Modern Warfare players, and consolization (ie, shoddy graphics), The Witcher 2 is the very opposite - utilizing the latest technology to its fullest (some of the graphics settings aren't even meant to be used with this generation of graphics cards apparently, so the game will look even better in future!), incredible depth and effort, free DLC forever, and a feeling that this is a game crafted with care and passion.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #18
man of low moral fiber

It truly looks like a work of passion and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Because of all these things mentioned, and my huge appreciation for what these guys have done, and the risk they took making a really good (not to mention DRM free-DLC free) game I'd like to support them as much as possible

So I thought I should download it from GOG which is (as I understand) CD PRojekt's company, in order for my money to go directly to them instead of distribution companies and such

But here's the strange thing:

Downloadable game costs 50 euros
While the Dvd version costs 35 euros!

Why would the same game without printing and distribution cost more? This seems very strange to me and I'm not sure I wanna fork over the extra 15 euros...
Old 05-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balderduck View Post
It truly looks like a work of passion and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Because of all these things mentioned, and my huge appreciation for what these guys have done, and the risk they took making a really good (not to mention DRM free-DLC free) game I'd like to support them as much as possible

So I thought I should download it from GOG which is (as I understand) CD PRojekt's company, in order for my money to go directly to them instead of distribution companies and such

But here's the strange thing:

Downloadable game costs 50 euros
While the Dvd version costs 35 euros!

Why would the same game without printing and distribution cost more? This seems very strange to me and I'm not sure I wanna fork over the extra 15 euros...
Hi Balderduck! I haven't bought the game (I'm only now trying ouy The Witcher1), but from what I know, the GOG version being sold is not the same as the retail Premium Edition (I'm assuming you are refering to this one, since the price of it in Amazon is near 30€).

The GOG version is a Digital Premium edition and I would say it's basically the retail premimum equivalent (in digital format), plus all of the contents of the Collectors Edition that can be digitalised (plus some extra content exclusive to GOG).

Regarding the 50€ price, that seems to be a legal obligation they had to assume. To compensate EU users for that, they are giving 2 codes (9$99 + 5$99) to use for buying 2 games in the store (if this doesn't please you, well, let's just say that there are ways, in some degree sanctioned by the GOG team, that let's you circunvent this problem, if you check their forum you will know more).
Old 05-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #20

Ok, I'm on Chapter 2 right now, about 6 hours in and I can say with all confidence GO BUY THIS GAME NOW!! It is the best fantasy RPG I've ever played hands down. Amazing atmosphere, amazing combat system, incredible characters and lore going on I am in serious awe with how much fun I'm having.

I have a pretty good PC, I still have to keep everything on Medium but it looks better than any game out right now! The light shafts, oh god the light shafts are incredible, truly next gen game in graphics and gameplay.

I'm literally savoring like every moment of this game, my little mini review I give it a 9.75 out of 10. The writing can be a touch dodgy here and there, but the only reason you notice it is because it is so consistently good everywhere else.