You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 02:34 AM   #41
Schättenjager

Best non-linear narrative in a decade,prologue and chapter 1 just mind blowing chapter 2 differs ok to great depend your choice and mini chapter 3 and epilogue let you decide what matters at the end.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #42
merely human

This title is coming to the 360 console. Hopefully they'll include a few exclusive perks and goodies to make it worthwhile for those of us console gamers who missed out.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #43
Schattenjäger

i must say, iv given the first game another chance and iv been pleasantly surprised with it. Definitely a very nice immersive story with lots of things to do. Will have to play the 2nd game at some point for sure.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #44
merely human

Ugh. I may have to wait til next year to get this on the 360 (it's slated for a Q4 2011 release). The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is set to launch November 11, with Uncharted 3 coming ten days prior, on November 1.

Very easy choice for me. I'll take Skyrim any day over Witcher 2, but won't necessarily give up on Witcher 2. Geralt will just have to wait for my attention, I have a hot date coming up with a Dragonborn.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #45

Uuuurgh, I am installing this game today and there are all the patches and things that download after install, and all the downloading has literally been going on for almost 4 hours. I just want to play the game already!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #46

As good as the first Witcher then?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:00 AM   #47

I am so frustrated right now. So after trying to install the game a download the other content and patches for over 16 hours, I finally stopped it to see if it was just messed up and had actually finished installing a while ago. But nope.

I am so disappointed. I really want to play this game. I guess I'll try to install it one more time, but if it takes much more than a couple hours I guess I'll just have to return the game
Old 07-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #48
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Boo View Post
I am so frustrated right now. So after trying to install the game a download the other content and patches for over 16 hours, I finally stopped it to see if it was just messed up and had actually finished installing a while ago. But nope.

I am so disappointed. I really want to play this game. I guess I'll try to install it one more time, but if it takes much more than a couple hours I guess I'll just have to return the game
Return it and get it at gog.com. Straight-forward, no DRM, more money for the devs.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
Return it and get it at gog.com. Straight-forward, no DRM, more money for the devs.
That sounds great, thanks. What is "DRM" though?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #50

Also, I just want to make sure, if I download it from this website and do end up having problems, do I get a refund?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #51
man of low moral fiber

I really really wanted this to be this generation's baldur's gate, but although it has tons of positive stuff about it in the end it just doesn't deliver.

And unlike most people it's not the combat/gameplay that I didn't like, I find it quite good. In the end it was the story that I wasn't so crazy about

I mean sure it's a good story, lots of interesting characters, but it just seems a bit disjointed, like there are tons of names and lore that are mentioned, people appear and disappear and their motives are unclear and the story just doesn't seem focused enough, for my tastes

I prefer something a bit more down to earth, like fallout New Vegas. Now that was probably one of the most underrated games I've ever played. I think the story in that game was everything the first two fallouts were. Engaging, interesting it keeps you wanting to find out more, who is this ceasar guy? How does the legion camp look like? stuff like that

The Witcher although a much prettier game, just didn't have that kind of story that drives you to play more and more of it...
Old 07-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #52
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Boo View Post
That sounds great, thanks. What is "DRM" though?
DRM is a piece of software that should prevent piracy, but instead just gives trouble to honest customers (although I heard that later Witcher patches remove said DRM).

I don't think you can "return" the game on gog.com though, sorry.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
DRM is a piece of software that should prevent piracy, but instead just gives trouble to honest customers (although I heard that later Witcher patches remove said DRM).

I don't think you can "return" the game on gog.com though, sorry.
Okay, thanks for all the info. I actually ended up getting it to work by downloading the patch from the website instead of letting it do it by itself with installation.

Of course then my antivirus software recognized the game launcher as a threat, like the game's website said it might, so I had to tell my antivirus program to allow it.

I got to play the game for just a minute before my son woke up from his nap! Cutscenes were fine, but when moving the cursor to choose dialogue options and moving Geralt around, everything was really choppy. So I guess I'll have to keep playing around with things the next time I have a chance.

Thanks again
Old 07-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #54
Schattenjäger

Check and see if you have ubersampling on (options from the launcher and then advanced options) Turn that off if its on. And also maybe turn off both field depth settings.

Im currently in chapter 2 and iv loved the game so far. I think i definitely prefer the style of the first game, it was much closer to a c-rpg like baldurs gate. But the sidequest quality is still extremely high, and the story thus far is at least as good as the first game, and the graphics are beautiful without question.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #55

Honestly, I'm not sure I am liking the gameplay so far. Moving around is such a mess. Someone suggested using an XBOX controller hooked up to the PC, which I may have to do.

As it is, when I try to turn a corner, Geralt does a full 180 and ends up heading back the direction he came from. Likewise it is hard to get him to stop in the exact spot he needs to be to interact with something. I'll see the symbol flash on the screen but it's gone before he stops moving. So I move back to try to find what had activated, but it flashes and is gone again before I can stop his movement. So pretty much this whole game I have Geralt flopping back and forth repeatedly, looking like he is having some sort of fit! Very very frustrating.

I am hoping the storyline will overshadow the frustration of just moving around. So far I am not really engaged, but then again I am still pretty much at the beginning - trying to escape the dungeons.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #56
Schättenjager

Are you playing v-synched interacting shouldnt be that frustrating,its about feeling the distance once you get it doesnt change,eg:in dungeons try sneaking,go unarmed behind the guards andknockem down with elbow when icon appears.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #57
Schattenjäger

hmmm yeah, those movement problems dont sound right....
Plus you can move the camera around to select things usually without moving. But anyway, the story is the strength of this game and you'll likely see that quickly after the prologue (after escaping the dungeon). But moving should definitely be smoother than what you described... not sure if theres an issue.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #58

Thanks for trying to help me figure this out, but grrrr, I am still so frustrated! I have tried and failed to escape the dungeon about 8 times already, on EASY mode! Every time I go to stun a guard, in the last split second my target switches from the guard to the torch and I end up lighting the torch instead. Movement is still pretty choppy and erratic.

I can't wait to move the story forward, since that is what will make this game for me, but seriously - 8 tries on easy mode and I still haven't gotten out of this part of the prologue?!

Anyway, I guess I will stop complaining now and just accept the game as it is and try my best to enjoy it. Thanks for letting me rant!

Last edited by J-Boo; 07-27-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #59
Headbanger

Just finished it, a totally magnificent game. I really like the cinematic approach they have added since the first game. Judging by the end I'm guessing a third game is not out of the question. Yennifer anyone?
Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #60
MovieStar Adventurer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
2 will start from neutral ending with Triss,i've finished 2 times but couldnt stay neutral,anyway here are the ending saves :

Order, Triss: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FVFOJTQP
Neutral, Triss: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EKDCZW6Q
Scoia'tael, Triss: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8EMTWZTO
Neutral, Shani: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WQHMT19O
Scoia'tael, Shani : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L11DCRD1
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for this!