You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General I have just bought a laptop, can I have some opinions on it please.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #1

Default I have just bought a laptop, can I have some opinions on it please.

Yeah, I have just got a XP laptop after having enough of my Vista laptop and it's game compatibility. You see, The Moment of Silence wouldn't work, I have just bought Discworld Noir and from what I have read, that won't work, also I am sure there are many other games that wouldn't work with it but would with XP. Plus, games that worked fine previously are now starting to refuse to run on it.

So anyways, it is a:

Sony Vaio VGN-SZ5VWN Laptop

Intel Core 2 T7400 @ 2.16GHz CPU
2GB DDR2 Memory
200GB SATA Hard Disk
13.3" LCD Screen, max resolution 1280 x 800 (WXGA)
Intel 945 GM Graphics (Stamina graphics to save battery)
NVidia GeForce Go 7400 (Performace graphics for gaming, switch between the two graphic adapters)
DVD-RW Drive
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
10/100/1000 Ethernet Controller
Bluetooth
Modem
Sound
Built in Webcam
Fingerprint Reader
Firewire
Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo Reader
Preinstalled with Windows XP Professional with SP3 & Office 2007

I want it to be able to basically play all of XP's adventure games and most if not all of the newer adventure games, and I am perfectly fine with having to turn down the graphic settings to do this. However I plan on getting a decent Windows 7 desktop computer some time soon, so if newer games are not to good with it, it won't be too bad.

Edit:

Also, can anybody explain what is meant by "switch between the two graphic adapters", which is referring to the graphics cards. Does that mean I will have to do anything or will the computer do it itself, depending on what types of programs are running.

Last edited by Dan_Dan_91_07; 03-13-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #2

As far as I know you have to pick which graphics card to use in the bios during startup (disabling the onboard gpu, or the other one). No idea how drivers work when you have 2 diff cards.

"There is currently no reliable method for determining the age of narwhal."