Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   3D Nintendo DS...? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/28622-3d-nintendo-ds.html)

Yasdnil 02-28-2011 04:42 AM

3D Nintendo DS...?

Is anyone thinking of getting a 3D DS? I can't say I'm all that fussed about it (not that I play on a DS console anyway...). I was wondering what other people think about it.,...?

Fixonic 02-28-2011 05:22 PM

I plan on getting one for sure, I just don't know when. The first DS has had a lot of adventures games that I loved, as well as games in other genres that I fell in love with. Some of those franchises will be carried over to the 3DS so I'll be going with it for them.

I'm so excited for the Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright crossover game.

Monolith 03-01-2011 12:08 AM

Getting it release day. :) This weekend buying the new Pokemon. lol Though I don't have a ds. lol

Yasdnil 03-02-2011 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith (Post 573777)
getting it release day. :) this weekend buying the new pokemon. Lol though i don't have a ds. Lol

:d

rayvio 03-02-2011 03:23 AM

still got a healthy backlog of DS and PC games for now so I'm not going to invest in one just yet. but once I'm running low on games and the prices drop a little I probably will

The Seed 03-02-2011 11:07 AM

I'm still on the fence about whether I'll get one on release or not. None of the launch line up actually interest me very much, but having said that I'm really interested to see what it's like (the 3D screen is apparently very impressive.) I'm leaning towards getting a 3DS bundle (with one game, probably Splinter Cell) on release but using it mainly for standard DS games for the first few months. Going to be getting Okamiden (just a DS game, not 3DS) around the same time so it'll be interesting to see if it's a better experience with the 3DS's thumb stick rather than the standard d-pad. Some really interesting 3DS titles coming up though, my personal picks being Layton VS Wright and Paper Mario 3D.

zane 03-02-2011 04:12 PM

Personally i couldnt care less about the 3d aspect. And the new psp is supposed to have insanely good hardware and be about as powerful as this last gen of consoles.
But of course, the key with the 3ds will be developers. If they attract developers the same way they did with the ds, itl still be the better system. And it will most certainly be a much better system for adventure games.

Monolith 03-02-2011 05:37 PM

Ocarina of Time 3d is going to be one of the games well worth the purchase. If you've seen the new screenshots, the whole game has been revamped. :)

alcoatjez 03-03-2011 07:21 AM

I will definately buy one, but not at launch. I have to save some money for other stuff ATM. I'm looking forward to Ocarina of Time, since I wanted to replay it for a while now and the Phoenix Wright/Layton game.

fov 03-03-2011 08:52 PM

I love my DS but I have zero enthusiasm for the 3DS. Then again, I've had zero enthusiasm for every new DS iteration... I'm still using the big clunky one that was released in the very beginning.

I guess I could see getting one if/when my DS dies. 3D doesn't excite me that much though. (I have a hard time paying the extra five bucks to see a movie in 3D, too.) I'm also a few games behind in the Phoenix Wright and Layton series so there's plenty to keep me busy for a while...

Will 3DS games run on a regular DS, just not in 3D? Or will they be 3DS exclusives?

Crunchy in milk 03-03-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov (Post 574010)
Will 3DS games run on a regular DS, just not in 3D? Or will they be 3DS exclusives?

I very much doubt it, but the reverse is definitely true, the 3DS will play DS and DSi games.

The 3DS has the processor for the old machine along for the ride, and DS titles will play via that. Assuming that means 3DS titles are written for the newer 3DS processor, the odds of them running on the older DS, or even the DSi are slim to none.

Dale Baldwin 03-04-2011 05:21 AM

The 3DS game cards are slightly different too. They've got an extra notch to prevent them fitting into the current DS.

Panthera 03-04-2011 09:02 AM

I will probably get one some time this/next year, just because my DS lite is starting to get very worn and the graphics and hardware are receiving such an upgrade.

I'm not at all interested in 3D though, simply because 3D makes my head hurt, and I don't really play anything but puzzle/adventure games on my DS, besides the seldom rhythm game.

Panthera 03-11-2011 07:41 PM

So, I got Pokemon White recently (mostly because my bf got black, so we could play together (I wanted the cute pokemon instead of the ugly evil looking on one the white one, but he didn't want to change game with me :frown:) and collect all the pokemon)
And I've discovered to my rather big surprise that I really love playing the game.

What annoys me is that Pokemon Black & White centers around having an internet connection, much more than any other DS game I've played, with exclusive areas only open via wi-fi (though it doesn't open before march 30.), and we don't have wi-fi.

We get our internet through the university, which doesn't allow wireless internet, and while they have wireless internet at campus, it has a too high encryption. So, I was counting on the Iphone personal hotspot to get online, and then it turns out, the iphone has a too high encryption too!

So now I really want a 3DS, just to be able to use my new internet tethering.

Stupid DS Lite only accepting a wpa encryption :(

(It also turns out we can't get the wii connected to the hotspot either, even though it accepts the encryption used)

MdaG 03-12-2011 08:01 AM

I'm thinking of getting one to get access to some Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Castlevania. I'm not sure if I'm going to get this first generation though. I already have a PSP, X360, PS3 and iPhone so there's no shortage of games...

orient 03-13-2011 07:30 PM

I played the 3DS last week, including the Ocarina of Time demo and some of the built-in software. The 3D effect is cool but it certainly isn't the reason I'm buying it. In OoT, the image goes inwards as opposed to outwards like we're used to seeing in 3D movies. It's quite subtle. Of course, the 3D is completely optional in every game so don't expect it to impact game-play in a meaningful way.

The truth is, if there wasn't such a good trade-in deal on DSi consoles then I wouldn't be getting the 3DS at launch because there are no interesting games. However, by trading in my old hardware (and a couple of games), I get rid of a redundant machine and gain the up-to-date model at a reduced cost.

If there's a downside to moving to 3DS from DSi (or DSi XL) it's screen size. Instead of keeping the bottom screen on par with the DSi model, they've went back (or at least it seems) to the smaller size of the original DS, though the top, 3D-enabled screen is a good size.