You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Looking for good strategy/management games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
She Wants Revenge

Default Looking for good strategy/management games

I am a crazy lover of Theme Hospital and have played it through several times. I replayed it again last year so it's not quite the time to dig it up again. But I'd like to try something similar. Hospital Tycoon I found out to be pretty rubbish and never was that much into the other 'Theme' games.

I also like Settlers games, I especially loved the settlement campaign in Settlers IV, not so much of a fighter . But I recently crawled through Settlers VI and the expansion so I'm not really in the mood for it either.

What I just now tried was Viva Pinata again but despite the super cute and charming look of it, it's just too messy and aimless. I do enjoy a game without ultimate tasks too - like The Sims games - but Viva Pinata is bursting with all kinds of stuff and I never get the feeling that I am actually in control of the game instead of just watching what happens and trying to do something in between.

Soo.. cutsie and fun games like Theme Hospital, Settlers, The Sims and Viva Pinata. Is there more? I will be checking out the new Medieval Sims when it comes but other than that I have nothing in radar. Doesn't have to be new, I can play Theme Hospital totally without cringing. I'd appreciate any recommendations.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Have you ever played Sim Golf? It's a great Sid Meier game he worked on with Maxis where you get to design and run a golf course.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 02-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
She Wants Revenge

Interesting. No, never tried that because Golf kinda puts me off. But I checked it out on GameSpot and seems there were quite a few fans that thought exactly the same. Might be worth checking out, thanks.

Last edited by millenia; 02-24-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #4

Dungeon Keeper? the comedy and cute is a little darker of course but it's one of the funniest and most fun games of its kind, in my opinion at least. DK2 is pretty good as well but the original is still the best if you can stand the dated graphics
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 02-25-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
She Wants Revenge

Dungeon Keeper I actually have. I bought it cheap from some bargain bin years ago. I tried it out a bit and it was okay I think, I was pretty kid then though so could dig it up and give it another try now.

Actually this thread is a great example why people should ask other people instead of just googling stuff. I never would have thought to lookup a golf game and I was definitely looking for more cute than twisted humour but both these suggestions seem much better than anything I dug up so far.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

I was really into Theme Park back in the day, I imagine you're already familiar with it though.

Evil Genius maybe? Part of the game consists of building a secret lair, hiring henchmen, setting traps for spies and researching weapons...

Another game that comes to mind is The Movies, which has you running a movie studio from the 20's to modern day.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:43 AM   #7
Freeware Co-ordinator

Definitely somewhat darker in tone. Rebuild is all about trying to create a safe enclave after the zombie apocalypse.

There are no "shoot the zombie" action parts. It's all about how you manage your resources to repel the hordes. Put more people on guarding the wall or send them out to scavenge for food. Expand to get a new building (e.g. a farm to generate food so you don't have to scavenge so much) or keep small so that there is less wall to cover. Send more people out on a mission to increase the chances of them all making it or take high stakes risks. It's cleverly thought out and comes with 5 difficulty levels (I have yet to beat level 4, harder) and at least 3 different ways of winning. New map each time keeps it fresh. Plus it's free.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 03-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #8

Not quite the cute type theme (though it has it a bit), though you probably already have it, but I love Rollercoaster Tycoon games (especially 3).

M.U.D. TV isn't a bad game, that tries to be kind of funny, it has its bugs though (and suffers from a busy work feeling). In a similar line, but a much better game, is MAD TV (a much older game). Only played some of the first MAD game, so not sure on the second (not fluent enough in german to play the second game).

Maybe the Tropico games as well (well 1 and maybe 3, heard 2 went way off path)?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #9
MoP
Comfortably Numb

I'd recommend Constructor and its sequel, Mob Rule. So happens they're part of this weekends sale on gog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gog pr
Constructor takes the empire building and resource management of the best simulations and adds to it a strong dose of character interaction, humour, and strategic competition.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
Soo.. cutsie and fun games like Theme Hospital, Settlers, The Sims and Viva Pinata. Is there more? I will be checking out the new Medieval Sims when it comes but other than that I have nothing in radar. Doesn't have to be new, I can play Theme Hospital totally without cringing. I'd appreciate any recommendations.
Heyho,

do you also like logical games, kind of road building?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemama View Post
Heyho,

do you also like logical games, kind of road building?
I'm not really sure what you're after here, just give your suggestions and I'll see if I like it . I do play a lot of different game genres.

I actually gave some time to Viva Pinata again and it didn't seem so chaotic anymore. Will definitely be playing it a lot just like Settlers.

As for the other suggestions here, I'll be checking them out but I found myself interested in WoW and adventures again so been a bit busy now. No reason to stop suggesting though!

I like turn based strategies too like Civilization or Heroes of Might and Magic so that kind of suggestions work too, though mainly I was looking for more of a management type game like the best one - Theme Hospital - is.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:58 AM   #12

I can suggest this online game. I really like it and I'm into management games as well. So, maybe our taste isn't too different...
Old 03-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #13

If you own a Nintendo console, I can semi-recommend the Animal Crossing series:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Crossing

I've played the DS version, and while light when it comes to gameplay, "Soo.. cutsie and fun games" definitely apply The characters and dialog are fantastic!

It's more a simulation than a management game, though.

I've read that the newest game, Animal Crossing: City Folk (a Wii game), has a bit more depth to the gameplay.

Last edited by Jannik; 03-16-2011 at 12:04 PM.