Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Getting a PSP in 2011? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/28448-getting-psp-2011-a.html)

MdaG 01-19-2011 04:52 PM

Getting a PSP in 2011?

I just noticed that the PSP 3004 has dropped in price a lot, so I ordered one for the sum of ~€100. Titles like Half Minute Hero and No heroes allowed sparked my interest. However, I'm getting second thoughts now. Are there any more "must have" titles out there. I play everything except racing and sport games.

7h30n 01-20-2011 02:27 AM

I bought a PSP a year ago and I have so many titles to play.
Especially good on PSP are Strategy RPGs and other RPGs.

Here is a list of must-haves by genre (I played):

Strategy (including Strategy RPGs):

- Disgaea series (first 2 are remade for PSP, excellent games, I'm still on the first one and I'm not even close to finishing it although I have over 40hours gameplay)

- Final Fantasy Tactics (excellent title remade for PSP with awesome hand-drawn cutscenes although Disgaea is more fun to play this is still recommended)

- Valkyria Chronicles II (one of the best strategy games I've ever played)

- Worms: Battle Islands (hey it's latest portable worms, need I say more)

- Jeanne d'Arc (although I haven't played it I hear it's an awesome game in vein of FF:Tactics and Disgaea)

RPGs:

- Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

- Half Minute Hero (excellent parody of grinding JRPGs)

- Final Fantasy 1 & 2 remakes

- Crimson Gem Saga (korean RPG with an excellent turn-based combat system, I'd go as far and say that is the best classicaly made Asian RPG on PSP)

Action titles:

- Syphon Filter series (excellent mix of action and stealth)

- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (there's Portable Ops but you can skip it, I'd go as far and say this is the best MGS after the first title in the series)

- GTA Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories and Chinatown Wars (GTA Stories is more like GTA 3 but Chinatown Wars returns to overhead camera roots packed with arcade fun)

Platforming, Sidescrollers:

- Mega Man Maverick Hunter X (excellent remake)

- Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins (an old ninteno hard classic)

- N+ (although I haven't tried it yet it was nominated for the best PSP game one year)

- Echocrome and its sequel Echoshift (excellent puzzle platformers)

- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (with hidden secret a full sequel - Rondo of Blood)

- Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (it's old skool Castlevania, need I say more)

Upcoming games:

- Valkyria Chronicles III

- Tactics Ogre

- Final Fantasy 4
remake

These are my personal recommendations, you should check out reviews and videos and see if you like them. If you need more recommendations ask away

MdaG 01-20-2011 03:01 AM

This is a great list! I've already played Final Fantasy Tactics (5/5), Symphony of the Dark (4/5) and Disgaea (never got past "mid boss"). I also own Valkyria Chronicles on my PS3 and like it quite a bit. When I'm done with No heroes allowed and Half Minute Hero I'll first and foremost take a look at Jeanne D'Arc.

7h30n 01-20-2011 03:40 AM

I recommend Pocketgamer.co.uk for reviews. IGN PSP section has some pretty good reviews also (and many more than pocketgamer)

Edit: I just checked No Heroes Allowed! I didn't know this game is on PSP and it seems awesome. Kinda like Dungeon Keeper series.
Thanks for bringing it up to my attention!

MdaG 01-20-2011 04:09 AM

Apparently it's the third game in the series. I wonder if the other two are worth a look?

7h30n 01-20-2011 05:33 AM

I did some (dungeon) digging (pun intended), it seems "No Heroes Allowed" is the 3rd game in the so called Badman series.

First title was renamed to "What did I do to deserve this, my Lord!" because of some legal issues. Sequel was "What did I do to deserve this, my Lord! 2" and I guess they finally realized the name of the game is too long so the third one is "No Heroes Allowed".

Judging by the reviews, sequels haven't really improved the original game although they are worth the 10$.
The game is really hard (that's what I like) and has an interesting ecosystem going on. Definitely worth a try.

I'm gonna probably get the 1st or 2nd game.

This series seems perfect for iOS

MdaG 01-20-2011 11:50 AM

Yeah, I think I'll stick with the third game in the series. Just ordered Jeanne D'Arc for £30. That's pretty pricey for a four year old game is it not? Relatively hard to find too. No store that I could find in Sweden had it. Purchased it from a UK store.

MdaG 01-21-2011 03:52 AM

Is there any way to play my copies of Final Fantasy 7 & 9 on my PSP that doesn't involve "jailbreaking" the device?

I could always buy them again as they're only SEK 90 a piece, but as I already own the games...

7h30n 01-21-2011 06:31 AM

Well, you would have to install custom firmware on PSP and use PC to convert your PS CDs to image files so you can transfer them to your PSP. That is actually legal because you are using your own copies, unfortunately installing custom firmware isn't that easy.

Well, if you are desperate to play those games and don't want to fiddle with CFW they aren't that expensive (as you said).

P.S. I would wait a bit, maybe there will be a discount because there are more Final Fantasy titles on the way for PSP

MdaG 01-21-2011 09:46 AM

If I was desperate I would just play them on my PS3 instead, but since I have a 46" LED it becomes really pix-elated. I was thinking the PSP screen would be better suited for it. It doesn't matter though. I was just curious to how it would look.

Btw, these titles you mentioned look very interesting. :)
Valkyria Chronicles II & III
Tactics Ogre
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Lucien21 01-21-2011 11:16 AM

PSP2 will be out soon and the prices of old PSP's will fall drastically.

MdaG 01-21-2011 01:19 PM

Yes, but I'm afraid that the PSP2 will be dead on arrival. I'm not even sure about the 3DS. Anyway, I've already bought one... :)

7h30n 01-23-2011 07:50 AM

No Heroes Allowed, dear God is that game hard but sooo awesome!

English translation is done incredibly good with various references to maaany games, movies and JRPG tropes.
Excellent!
Now I wish I knew Japanese and get the original version, I wonder how good that one is!

The game is so simple yet so deep! I hope upcoming PC title Dungeons will manage to be equally fun! It's strange that there aren't many more Dungeon Keeper styled games

MdaG 01-23-2011 10:44 AM

I'm still in area 1, I'm picking away at the tutorial levels to get better.

7h30n 01-23-2011 11:14 AM

Tutorials are really good, what would have we done without them.

Anyways, had a pause from NHA by playing Super Meat Boy (dark worlds). I guess I really like Nintendo Hard games :)

MdaG 01-27-2011 03:12 PM

I also have Super Meat Boy, but I'm only in the "Salt World" Chapter 3. I encountered the save game bug and it annoyed me enough to leave the game be.

I've finished the first nine basic tutorial levels and the first advanced one. I'm not sure, but the advanced levels doesn't give you enough information to solve them straight away. Lots of trial and error on my part. Trying to create 99 moss now... :crazy:

Lucien21 01-29-2011 10:38 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/27/the-sony-psp2/

All hail the new PSP 2

MdaG 01-29-2011 04:45 PM

Yeah, I saw that. Maybe it won't be dead on arrival. That's some sexy hardware. Still it's at least a year before it arrives at store shelves and the initial lineup doesn't look that interesting to me. That could easily change though. I can't say I've been an early adopter with the PSP. :)

MdaG 01-30-2011 01:31 PM

Do Vagrant Story, Grandia, Final Fantasy 7 & 9 and Abe's Oddesey/Escape hold up by todays standard? I'm thinking of maybe giving them a shot on my PSP.

7h30n 01-31-2011 01:21 AM

If you don't mind bad graphics they are classic as ever!

P.S. If anyone will be giving away PSP2 just let me know xD