Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Getting a PSP in 2011? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/28448-getting-psp-2011-a.html)

MdaG 01-31-2011 12:09 PM

Depends on what you mean by "bad graphics". I love the style of Half Minute Hero, but I don't fancy early 3D engines (Simon 3D)...

7h30n 01-31-2011 12:20 PM

Exactly, 3d engines ... Final Fantasy 7 looks really bad. But then again you have to see for yourself. Metal Gear Solid looks horrible with it's jerky models but I still can play it for the 1000th time because the gameplay is that good.

If you played those games before and you like them enough to play again then I don't have to tell you to go play them. Just go and play :)

If you haven't played some of those titles then definitely check out the gameplay videos and see if it suits you.

The problem is buying them again for PSP with the money you could spend on games designed for PSP you haven't experienced yet.

Just ask me if you are looking for a game in specific genre so you don't have to replay titles you already played.

E.g. I really recommend Crimson Gem Saga - Korean made game (for PSP, later ported to iOS) in vein of Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger

MdaG 01-31-2011 12:44 PM

I already own FF7 & FF9. The first I haven't played for twelve years, but I liked it back then. The second I just own, but I've barely tried it on my PS3 where it looks barely ok on my 46" LED.

However you make an excellent point regarding me wasting money on games I have already have played (I haven't played Grandia, Abe's or Vagrant Story though).

Basically I like games where I don't have to grind too much. I don't really like random encounters either, but I can stomach them if there aren't too many of them. Final Fantasy games have too many of them and while I could handle that twelve years ago I don't really have that patience any more. I also appreciate being able to save often (PSP software suspend does however seem to solve it for me) as I nowadays have a kid to take care of and need to be able to put the game down at any time. Also a good captivating story to motivate me through the grind is also a plus. :)

Examples.

Like: Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy 7 (mostly due to the story line), Chrono Trigger, Grandia 2, Persona 3

Dislike: Final Fantasy 4, Dragon Quest 4, Pixeljunk Monsters (there are better TD games out there)

So apart for Crimson Saga what do you recommend? I've already bought Jeanne D'Arc, Patapon 2, Peace Walker, Half Minute Hero and No heroes allowed. Most of them I got dirt cheap as the PSP seem to be dying in my country...

7h30n 02-01-2011 01:45 AM

Then I think Crimson Gem Saga is what you are looking for.

Story is interesting, there are no random encounters - you see all enemies on screen and if they don't see you when you engage them you get a surprise attack (it can happen to you also), there is some grinding but most enemies can be overcome by exploiting weaknesses, each character has skill trees and there are "team" skills which require parts of your team to perform a combo move.

I think with these games you have and CGS you are set to play on PSP for a long time.

Edit: There's also remake of Persona 3 (I think it's called Persona 3 Portable). I'm not sure if it's out yet in English but I've heard it's a great remake.

MdaG 02-01-2011 03:43 PM

Opinions about Crimson Gem Saga seem to vary. I've heard good stuff about Ys Seven too. Persona 3 sounds great, but I'll hold off for Persona 4 instead. :)

Periglo 02-11-2011 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MdaG (Post 571001)
Persona 3 sounds great, but I'll hold off for Persona 4 instead. :)

Is there going to be a P4 for PSP? Is seems P3 for PSP is pretty good, with the options of playing a female main character.

MdaG 02-23-2011 01:31 PM

I'm loving my PSP a lot, but buying games on UMD feels like a waste as I won't be able to play them on NGP. :frusty:

I haven't understood this "create a US and JPN account" to be able to download games from other regions that EU.

orient 02-25-2011 06:41 AM

I recently picked up a PSP 3000 :) It came bundled with GTA: Chinatown Wars, LittleBigPlanet and Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier, though I traded the last two for Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles.

The first game I played through was God of War: Ghost of Sparta, which is absolutely phenomenal. I'd say it's better than the first God of War and probably on par with the second, though I've yet to play God of War 3.

I also downloaded 3 PSN games -- A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks!, Pac-Man Championship Edition and Tekken 2 (PS Classic).

A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks! is an excellent little game if you're into vertical schmups. You earn money to buy permanent upgrades and special weapons for your ship. It's a great formula. Pac-Man CE is, well, Pac-Man with flashy graphics. It's a lot of fun. I bought Tekken 2 more for a trip down memory lane. I used to play it to death when I was younger.

I found the main game in Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles to be alright, but I've unlocked Symphony of the Night, which is 10 times better.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (Limited Edition) is coming in the mail this week, and I really want Persona 3 Portable but I'm going to have to import it.

I love picking up a system late in its life-cycle so I can play all the games I've missed over the past 5-or-so years, and for cheap, too.

Oh, and The 3rd Birthday is high on my Most Wanted list as well :devil:

7h30n 02-25-2011 09:10 AM

Yeah, there are some really nice games coming up. Tactics Ogre is top on my PSP wishlist but I'm still playing MGS5: PW and Valkyria Chronicles 2. Then there's Disgaea 1 & 2. I simply don't find time to play them all fully and they are so awesome!

MdaG 03-24-2011 12:02 PM

I'm currently playing Tactics Ogre and while I'm only a couple of hours in, it already beats Final Fantasy Tactics and Jeanne D'Arc. Amazing game.

taterfyrings 03-30-2011 08:46 AM

I just got a PSP last year, and I must say that I really like it, even though the software library is nowhere near as good as the DS library. These are the games I have:

God of War: Chains of Olympus - I got this one with the unit for free, and my honest opinion is that it looks incredibly good, but that is also all it has for it. I don't really like the braindead button-mashing of the God of War-games, and I feel they try to hard to appeal to a juvenile audience, and this game does not feel like an exception to me.

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles - First game I bought, and what a great game. Here you get for the first time in the west the original Rondo of Blood (not that sh*t Vampire X), which is in my opinion the best of the old-school Castlevania-games with great leveldesign, branching paths, multiple characters, lots of secrets and very challenging gameplay. And its all remade with beautiful graphics! I would say this is reason enough to get this game, but the package also include the original Turbografx CD-version, AND Symphony of the Night. Symphony of the Night, while not my personal favorite, is often regarded as the best in the series and one of the best games of all time, and it is a great must-play game for any gamers. Great package stuffed with awesome content!

LocoRoco 1 & 2 - I don't quite know how to describe these games. I guess they are plattformers, and in a way they remind me of the We Love Katamari-games for the PS2. The gameplay is not that challenging if you are not prepared to collect everything (then on the other hand, it gets really challenging), but the levels are diverse, the music is great and the humor is fantastic. Also the gameplay is really easy to learn but pretty hard to master. Definitely recommended.

Half-Minute Hero - Another fantastic PSP game that i recommend to everybody with a PSP.

Tactics Ogre - The best strategy RPG for the Super Nintendo that unfortunately never came to the west, nuff said. If you like strategy rpg's (and why wouldn't you when you have a PSP) then this is the best one to get.

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops - I had really high hopes for this game based on the reviews it got and my general love for the series, but I feel that the controls are simply to clunky for it to be enjoyable. Also, the story is a bit unfocused and there is to much other stuff the game asks you to do that I haven't really gotten into. I might like this more after a while though.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - I have not played it as I want to finish MGS: PO first.

Other games I will be getting includes: Persona 1-2 remakes, Final Fantasy Tactics Remake, Patapon 1-3, The Third Birthday and possibly a few others.

Might also be getting Digaea, Jeanne D'Arc and Pirates if the version for PSP is good. Anybody know anything about that?

7h30n 06-16-2011 07:02 AM

Yes they are all good.

I love Disgaea and Pirates (if you mean Sid Meier's Pirates) is almost the best version of Pirates - PC being the best, but PSP version comes close (they improved on PC version, only thing holding it back is small screen)

I haven't played Jean 'D Arc, but they say if you love Disgaea and FF:Tactics you are gonna love that one.

Persona remakes started mediocre but improved quite a bit. Apparently Persona 3 Portable is among the best games on PSP.

Over the summer I'll probably also start with Persona 1 - 2 remakes.

Currently I'm playing Zettai Hero Project - Nippon Ichis take on roguelikes with many parodies of rpg tropes and their own Disgaea series.

After that I'm going after Tactics Ogre, Persona remakes or Ys remakes.
Actually there are quite good games on PSP, especially from SNES era that didn't come out of Japan.

P.S. Final Fantasy 4,5 & 6 (my favourite) are out!

Marduk 06-22-2011 07:44 AM

The price is dropping because it's being replaced. http://us.playstation.com/psvita/
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...evealed-962996

It's a hand held with better stats than my PC :frown: