You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Quick graphics card/PSU question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #1
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Default Quick graphics card/PSU question

Currently on an Antec EarthWatts 430W PSU, running just my CPU (E4500), 2GB RAM, 1 DVD drive and a single hard drive. Oh, one fan, too.

I'm getting a new card soon to replace my 9800GT, which just died, and I'm settled on the HD5750 as it's the right price for me. However, the site mentions a 450W PSU as recommended (Same for GTS 250, GTX 460, the GTSomething 450, HD5770) and I'm reluctant to replace my PSU as that adds another £50 to the cost.

Toms Hardware UK has the HD5750 listed as taking no more than 235W, which is less than the 9800GT, so should I be fine using it with my current PSU? Thanks!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:01 AM   #2

From my rich experience in that respect, I can only advise you not to save on the PSU. Weak and underpowered power supply is cause of many problems with the computer. I've learned this myself a couple of times.

BTW, I'm currently using the same graphic card as you did (9800GT) and had to upgrade my, then brand new, Fortran Blue Storm II 500W because it wasn't powerful enough. Right now I'm using OCZ 700W PSU and all is working OK. Well, most of the time, but this is another story. I'm using this system for way to many purposes (as my personal recording studio, among the other things). Lately I had some Windows problems that leads me to suspect the PSU again, but since it's not too old and the brandless one, I'm guessing that the rather unstable power in my neighbourhood is the main culprit. I'm contemplating to buy an UPS which has an AVR function.

I'm not familiar with newer ATI cards that much (had used Nvidias for a long time now), but despite the official specifications, I would still invest in more powerful PSU. Maybe the card itself doesn't draw that much power, but you always have to consider other components in your system as well as the USB-powered peripheals.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 01-13-2011, 04:36 AM   #3
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Am I allowed to dislike you for that, terhard? :p

Aside from my hardware, I've got my Sidewinder X3, Logitech G15, often one of my iPods (Touch 4G or Nano 2G), my Sennheiser headphones and rarely a 360 controller.

My PSU is, as far as they go, pretty good in my opinion - It's Antec, it's an EarthWatts, it's 80%+ rated and it's given me no issues. It was fine with my 9800GT, so... Ah well.

Sounds like my DVD drive is on the fritz, too. This is typical -_-
Old 01-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #4

Antec are a good quality PSU brand, brushing shoulders with Corsair/XFX. And the good news is that the 5750 is one of the best performance for low power consumption cards you can get. It only uses 1 x 6in PCIE connector(alone supplies 75w), and needs a Maximum board power of 86 Watts . Your Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E4500 only needs 65w at full load, and you are using a minimum practical amount of drives, which dont use that much power themselves. And using a PSU Calculator I would conclude your PSU is good enough on this occasion
Old 01-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
The Quiet One

Amazon.co.uk have this card, which is similar to the one you're looking at, but it's a HD5670. According to one reviewer, it's doesn't require any PSU power - it gets it from the PCI-E port.

I'd probably buy this myself, but I doubt my PCI-E slot is powerful enough. It requires a 16x/2.1 slot and I have 16x/2.0.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 01-13-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Amazon.co.uk have this card, which is similar to the one you're looking at, but it's a HD5670. According to one reviewer, it's doesn't require any PSU power - it gets it from the PCI-E port.

I'd probably buy this myself, but I doubt my PCI-E slot is powerful enough. It requires a 16x/2.1 slot and I have 16x/2.0.
Oh man, now I need to find out what mine is. Knowing my luck I'll be unable to run it.

It doesn't say (Or specify) on the website, so I'm going to guess it's not.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
Stalker of Britain

To add on to this topic, I've been thinking about getting a new graphics card for my XP, yet I've been told that new cards might not work. I'm not very technological, so I'm not sure what to get. Any advice? I also have to buy another 1 of RAM, since I only have one now. Do I really need to buy a whole new computer?
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Gazzoid, I did some research and a 2.0/2.1 card should work in an older slot.

I think I'm going to have to go with the HD5670. Fits my budget, slightly better than my ol' 9800GT and I can get one locally for a good price.

Thanks for the advice, all
Old 01-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
Gazzoid, I did some research and a 2.0/2.1 card should work in an older slot.

I think I'm going to have to go with the HD5670. Fits my budget, slightly better than my ol' 9800GT and I can get one locally for a good price.

Thanks for the advice, all
Cool. That's good to know. I may look into getting it at some point then. Also, zooming in on the box on amazon, it's says PCI-E 2.0. 'Course, that may be an error, though.
The only thing I'm worried about is getting it and finding out it only makes a slight difference to what I have now. It's happened to me before.

However, my current card is a 9400GT - older than what you had. So if this one is better than a 9800GT, then...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
To add on to this topic, I've been thinking about getting a new graphics card for my XP, yet I've been told that new cards might not work. I'm not very technological, so I'm not sure what to get. Any advice? I also have to buy another 1 of RAM, since I only have one now. Do I really need to buy a whole new computer?
What processor do you have? If you're only on 1Gb RAM, and need a new graphics card, a new PC might be worth considering.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
Stalker of Britain

I have an Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 CPU. 6420@ 2.13 Ghz, 1 GB of RAM. And my graphics card is a GeForce 7600 GS. The computer is 32-bit. And that's all gobbilty gook to me. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks, RLacey!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #12
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
However, my current card is a 9400GT - older than what you had. So if this one is better than a 9800GT, then...
Not really. A 9800GT is simply a rebranded 8800GT, so I kinda guess mine is older :p A HD5670 would be quite a nice boost for you, though.

Fantasysci5; Your CPU isn't bad, so really you just need the extra 1GB of RAM and possibly - if your motherboard is PCI-e (Might require some Googling) - a HD5670, and it also depends on your power supply and if it's capable of running the card. I'd say buy based on what your situation is, really. If you have the funds for a new PC, I would say get one. XP's support is coming to an end next year (I think?) and I'm guessing by the age of your rig you've had it a number of years, so it might be worth buying new just for the sake of ease. Assuming your power supply is fine, you might be looking at less than $150 for the upgrades mentioned - Not sure what it's like in the US for prices, though.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:06 AM   #13
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
Not really. A 9800GT is simply a rebranded 8800GT, so I kinda guess mine is older :p A HD5670 would be quite a nice boost for you, though.
Oh. Well, I certainly hope so. I'm starting to think I'll get some bottleneck because of my CPU and/or PSU, though.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 AM   #14
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Whatcha got?
Old 01-14-2011, 04:11 AM   #15
The Quiet One

I bought the system in 2009 from Dell and have never changed them. I have an AMD Athlon Processor LE-1660 - 2.8GHz, and as for the model of PSU... I have no idea. All I know is that it's roughly 300W.

If the card can run without additional juice from the PSU it should be fine, right?

I wouldn't use the card for the latest and greatest games - that's what my 360 is for - but it sounds great for the games I have from around 2004-06. The new Sam & Max, Back to the Future and Tales of Monkey Island games would probably benefit from it too.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 AM   #16
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Not necessarily. Your PSU sounds a bit on the weak side - I think the HD5670 has 400W as minimum - And as it's a Dell one I wouldn't take the risk.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:22 AM   #17
The Quiet One

Damn.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #18
The Quiet One

Okay, I'm now in the same boat as you, Dwagginz. I'm considering upgrading my PSU and getting an Antec, though I'm stumped as to which one. I was thinking of 500W, 20-24A on a 12V rail, but... would that be sufficient.

It's not like I'll be upgrading my card regularly nor will I be getting the latest and greatest card(s)...

EDIT: Would this be alright, maybe?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #19
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Seems OK to me, although I don't know much about PSUs.

I was gonna go for an OCZ Modular PSU (~500W), but I've forgotten which one.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #20
The Quiet One

Neither do I. Hopefully someone who's more tech-savvy can point us in the right direction.

Two things I do know: the PSU I've linked to has 3 12v rails ranging from 22-25A and that the amperture is more important than the actual wattage.

I've contacted my local computer shop and asked the guy to look into for me and possibly order it.