Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (first info) - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (first info)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
Life and times of...

Default Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (first info)

Aside from the announcing trailer, the first info on the next Elder Scrolls (as far as I've seen) is out. Here are scans off a magazine, showing a bit of the visual style and they also have tidbits about the game.

I'm particularly interested in the text in this picture, which has dichotomy between the chance of a greatly improved gameplay and/or a far-too-great emphasis on combat and a streamlined interface (like (and no doubt following) Mass Effect 2, which, while being very good, went too far in it). The Elder Scrolls are one of the last major representatives of more traditional RPGs, and I'd hate them to lose their roots and treat it like an action game. Then again, there is great room for improvement, and if done right it could take these kinds of RPGs to a whole new level.
Here's some quotes:
Quote:
For the fifth numbered entry, Bethesda is taking its fans two centuries into the future [from the previous games]. Skyrim isn't a direct sequel in the traditional sense, but rather the next major chapter in the prophetic Elder Scrolls.
--
A thrilling new combat dynamic encourages flexibility and creative ability combinations. A rethought user interface abandons the cumbersome menus of yesteryear. And a new way of presenting interactive storytelling aims to reinvent the way players experience role-playing.
(italics mine )
So you can see there quite the changes and promises. The previous games were slightly cumbersome (especially Oblivion, I felt, and I'm not talking about the menus now, mind you) so this might be a perfect place for those last tweaks towards a magical game, but I'm fearing that they think that "menus are bad, we must not have any inventory!". Unlikely, but worst-case-scenario... They do say they will stay rooted in tradition, while taking new gameplay chances (I didn't quote it but it's there), so I suppose it's even more unlikely. And they don't want to alienate their fans. But there's always the risk of too much streamlining.

The combat sounds intriguing though, I always felt it was a little dull before. Even though the oblivion gates in Oblivion were horrible, the games have otherwise been great in their stories and storytelling, so I'm very eager to see what will happen with the "new way of experiencing role-playing". (Now that I think of it though, I've not finished either of the two games I've played)

I originally feared that it would be all snow and stone, but I'm glad to see there are some very interesting locations there besides just snow, like that centre picture here.

One thing I always wish is that they'd allow more personal character creations so that even if you don't exactly do traditional choices in making your characters, it can still be played. Usually it's just very much so that if you try to do a character with a slightly unusual set of skills, it will end up so weak you'll die to almost everything

Also, I wonder if you'll start out as a prisoner this time... All that dragonborn stuff sounds like you're too well known to start out as an unknown prisoner.

Anyways, I'm really rambling here, so time to stop talking. I have to say, these pictures gave me much higher expectations than the trailer! (Especially with the narrator with far too much saliva in his mouth...)
Old 01-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Honestly, Bethesda would have to create an entirely new engine for me to even begin being interested in this. Oblivion was crap and the only reason Fallout 3 was ok was because it wasn't their IP. I think a bunch of chimps work at Bethesda.

At the very least, I'd need Character Interaction to be overhauled a better story, hell.. even a good story would be nice... and more changes to the leveling system than they are offering.

A backstep to the years of Morrowind would be nice. OH and a working 3rd Person view.

I know I'm always the naysayer on these forums for the big and popular games but, Bethesda hasn't really put out anything that has ever really felt finished in my opinion.

However, I can't hate on Skyrim because its not out yet, but I'm ready to. I kinda hope that they can wow me this time. If not. Ill be more than content with The Witcher 2.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Life and times of...

I can understand. I'm not really qualified to say how good they are, as Morrowind and then Oblivion are almost my only contacts with these kinds of games. And in them I tend to focus much more on irrelevant matters than the "proper" storyline. Still, I've felt that there indeed is a weakness in the character interaction and like I said, I wasn't much a fan of the story in Oblivion (Morrowind was much better in that area, but I never did get too far there either). However, these were among the things they said they were redoing. Advertising, sure, and they said they were redoing almost everything, but maybe they are focusing more on the points you mentioned?

Also, Skyrim, as far as I understand, is on a new engine. Might not be what you mean, but I understand they built a new engine from scratch.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
Honestly, Bethesda would have to create an entirely new engine for me to even begin being interested in this. Oblivion was crap and the only reason Fallout 3 was ok was because it wasn't their IP. I think a bunch of chimps work at Bethesda.

At the very least, I'd need Character Interaction to be overhauled a better story, hell.. even a good story would be nice... and more changes to the leveling system than they are offering.

A backstep to the years of Morrowind would be nice. OH and a working 3rd Person view.

I know I'm always the naysayer on these forums for the big and popular games but, Bethesda hasn't really put out anything that has ever really felt finished in my opinion.

However, I can't hate on Skyrim because its not out yet, but I'm ready to. I kinda hope that they can wow me this time. If not. Ill be more than content with The Witcher 2.
Like what the Witcher 2 did. This game is using a proprietary engine. So expect the same bit of detail and beauty like Witcher 2.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 01-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

all very good news!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #6

if it's more like Morrowind and less like Oblivion then I'll be sure to give it a try, but after the disapointment of Oblivy, I'll be waiting on the reviews and/or demo
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 01-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
It's Hard To Be Humble

I actually enjoyed Oblivion. If they can top that, I'll be very happy indeed.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
delusions of adequacy

I was under the impression there was a bit of chicanery relating to the engine. Its not ID tech 5 or something else entirely new but a bastard child of Gamebyro.

I recently tried (and failed) to enjoy Two Worlds II right after playing Assassin's Creed and its sequel. Primarily I could not enjoy it because of its terrible combat animations and mechanics.

Pretty environments and interesting story aside, Skyrim has got to wow with animation (and collision). I don't think a gamebyro engine has every really had impressive/immersive animations.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #9

Because Assassin's Creed have such great combat? :|
Old 01-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #10

Honestly, I feel Bethesda games are soo overrated. TES series didn't feel like an RPG nor it was a fun sandbox game. Same thing with Fallout 3.

I guess their games aren't my cup of tea. If I want a better sandbox experience I'll go to GTA or Sid Meier's Pirates, on the other hand if I want RPG I'll play Fallout 1,2, Baldur's Gate or some other.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:59 AM   #11
Life and times of...

Some more info:
http://www.incgamers.com/News/26540/...re-believeable
- More realistic combat system

http://www.gamefocus.ca/?nav=new&nid=12344
- No classes in Skyrim
Quote:
Instead of choosing from a number of premade archetypes, or creating your own, you’ll instead level up according to how you want to play at any given time.
That article sounds exactly like what I was hoping for with my comment on restricted class-system and being what you want to be...

And here's from the forums (also in the previous article):
Quote:
Since people are asking, wanted to briefly touch on level scaling. All our games have had some amount of randomness/levelling based on player level. Skyrim's is similar to Fallout 3's, not Oblivion's.

Hope that addresses some concerns, and we hope you're enjoying the GI cover story.
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...#entry16933097

Having not played the game, can anybody tell me how the leveling worked in Fallout 3?

(Edit): Also from that article:
Quote:
Skyrim will allow the character to dual wield. Dual wielding won’t just be restricted to weaponry though.

Game Director Todd Howard told Game Informer that players will also be able to dual wield spells
Old 01-11-2011, 04:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
Guess you never played AC2. The combat is fluid and complex. Not choppy and lame.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:12 AM   #13
delusions of adequacy

There's similar information on at the Escapist.

Re fallout 3. The levelling is 6 of one system and half a dozen of Oblivion's.

There are certain creatures such as 'Deathclaws' which function as 'do not go here yet' monsters. They serve this function even more in New Vegas, along with New Vegas' Cazadore (mutated giant flies).

These start out way above an early game character and in New Vegas, retain their ass kicking abilities throughout the entire game.

Most areas level up with your character, just like in Oblivion, but only when you first enter them. Once you've set an areas monster level (by entering it once) its locked at that for the rest of the game.

I like that it means an end to those bandits you repeatedly slaughter somehow aquiring ebony armor and daedric weapons, but it requires good combat mechanics to make exploration interesting/scary.

Oblivion lacked this part of the equation and even an unprepared adventurer could pretty much go anywhere with supreme confidence. Barring an unexpected stumbled upon Oblivion gate in the early game (a rarity).
Old 01-11-2011, 06:14 AM   #14
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Watch for yourself. Top 10 Assassin's Creed II kills. Not for the squeamish, animated violence.

Ac2 has very fluid combat animations, not just in the above displayed killing strokes. There's variety, and yet they all fit and flow well together.

Two World's II seemed very clumsy afterwards. Divinity 2 is another example of truly clumsy melee combat, and it uses a modified Gamebyro engine.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #15

I played through AC2 and it's fluid, but still very shallow. Of course, RPGS in general isn't known for having deep combat gameplay so having something like that is certainly an improvement.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #16

Quote:
I played through AC2 and it's fluid, but still very shallow. Of course, RPGS in general isn't known for having deep combat gameplay so having something like that is certainly an improvement.
AC2 is an RPG? I don't think so. Also, I'm sorry to say, but AC2 is quite fast paced, and quite perfect for the game and many others. One of the better combat systems out there, except for the 100% 3rd Person Fighting games.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #17

I'm happy that they changed the leveling.

----------------------------------------

I'm not gonna go into the big things that they oughta change (more character animations/routines, better graphics, better melee combat, better voices, more dramatic storyline, better character interaction...) but I like talking about the little thingsand unordinary topics like character specialization

I wonder if the merchant skill is gonna be the same. They oughta make it level up based on the quality of what you sell - not the quantity (people selling arrows 1 by 1).

And I would like for destruction skill to be raised more for casting bigger spells and perhaps more for hitting the target.

And obviously there needs to be combat for when you are riding your horse.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:50 AM   #18

AC combat makes for some neat kill animations and fits the game well for what it is, but it's really shallow and all too easy to overwhelm an enemy. One specific instance in Brotherhood (without spoiling anything) I was fleeing some guards and was thrown from my horse and I was able to stand there and defeat dozens of enemies. No matter how many enemies surround you, only one can attack at a time and you can then mow people down. It wouldn't matter if you are facing 2 enemies or 200. For the most part, I think Oblivion's combat worked better for what it does than would have AC's combat if put into Oblivion.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #19
Life and times of...

Article about the new engine.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #20

Okay, sorry, a little dissappointed with that article. Looks just like Oblivion, but with better modeling techniques by the artists.

No shadows, horrible waterfalls, same ol' graphical weakness of the previous game.....but I got to admit. The game continues to leave its flat look and feel.

Edit: It really is odd that there are barely any graphical enhancements in that screenshot. :/ Why did they go for real-time shadowing of the environment?

(Just read the article......they said shadows are on everything. Is the screenshot not a bad example or what?)

Full image

That said. THIS GAME SOUNDS AMAZING! The radiant story system sounds like it can create an awesome experience. Can't wait!

Last edited by Monolith; 01-18-2011 at 12:03 PM.