Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Batman: Arkham City (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/28184-batman-arkham-city.html)

DustyShinigami 12-13-2010 06:56 AM

Batman: Arkham City

Probably my most anticipated game next year (along with Dead Space 2)!

Check out the teaser trailer.

Screenshots available here.

The trailer reveals Hugo Strange will be an enemy in the game, and screenshots indicate that the game will feature Harvey Two-Face and Catwoman!

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/i...9_1280x720.jpg

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/i...1_1280x720.jpg

Meow

zane 12-13-2010 12:25 PM

i still need to get around to playing the first one. I played the demo and i have to admit it was ridiculously fun. Was the first game long?

DustyShinigami 12-13-2010 01:25 PM

Heh. I could say it wasn't long enough - I didn't want it to end. :P But yeah, I'd say it has a satisfying length and there are plenty of riddles to solve and extras to find, too.

zane 12-13-2010 01:33 PM

oh wow, the game is alot cheaper than last i checked too. I may have to pick this up soon....

Dwagginz 12-14-2010 12:47 AM

Most of Arkham Asylum's length seems to lie in 100%-ing it rather than the actual story. I think it's good, but it does have moments of being tedious and/or frustrating.

Arkham City looks good, though. Catwoman looks a little strange but I'm sure I can live with it. You can tell it's Unreal Engine 3, too. Stands out like a sore thumb ;)

Crunchy in milk 12-14-2010 02:54 AM

Asylum is just long enough that you enjoy/master Batman's moves right about the time you get sick of the Island and its enemies. I don't know if this was by luck or design (so many games get it wrong).

It doesn't suffer for being too long nor leave you frustrated at being too short. At the game's conclusion I imagine I felt much like Batman, tired at all the effort put in, glad the show was over, but happy with the results.

About the only thing you really get frustrated with is the Scarecrow hallucination induced levels. Not that they're too difficult but that they're just difficult enough (different to the rest of the gameplay) that the third time they come around you may gnash your teeth a little.

RE: The Catwoman screenshot, would you say she's just shy of Absolute cleavage? Clearly the outfit can go there.

Dwagginz 12-14-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk (Post 566285)
About the only thing you really get frustrated with is the Scarecrow hallucination induced levels. Not that they're too difficult but that they're just difficult enough (different to the rest of the gameplay) that the third time they come around you may gnash your teeth a little.

Indeed.

Aside from the tedious Killer Croc Lair (Which I still can't be bothered getting past), the Scarecrow levels seemed to cause me the most issues. It's a case of you have to be absolutely perfect at times, but really relaxed at others.

Interplay 11-20-2011 05:09 PM

I wanted to rebump this thread. Have any of you been playing Arkham City since its release? I have been enjoying it immensely. It looks like it's going to be a clear contender for (non adventure) game of the year. I found the single player campaign to be a great action game, but trying to get all of the riddler trophies without consulting a walk through is proving to make for a great puzzle game. Even knowing where the trophy is, having to figure out the combination of gadgets and skills to get it can be quite challenging for some of them. (I can think of one trophy in Wonder City that had me scratching my head for a good 20-30 minutes). Anyway this has been one of the most fun games I've played in awhile (and has delayed me trying Uncharted 3 or the new Assassin's Creed). What are other people's thoughts?

DustyShinigami 11-21-2011 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interplay (Post 594161)
I wanted to rebump this thread. Have any of you been playing Arkham City since its release? I have been enjoying it immensely. It looks like it's going to be a clear contender for (non adventure) game of the year. I found the single player campaign to be a great action game, but trying to get all of the riddler trophies without consulting a walk through is proving to make for a great puzzle game. Even knowing where the trophy is, having to figure out the combination of gadgets and skills to get it can be quite challenging for some of them. (I can think of one trophy in Wonder City that had me scratching my head for a good 20-30 minutes). Anyway this has been one of the most fun games I've played in awhile (and has delayed me trying Uncharted 3 or the new Assassin's Creed). What are other people's thoughts?

I forgot I made this thread... :crazy: :P

I love it! I'm pretty much done with it though - I just need to finish New Game +. I've beaten all the Combat and Predator Challenges (both as Batman and Catwoman), collected all the Riddler Trophies*, completed all the Riddles, completed all the side missions, I have pretty much all the achievements, all the gadgets/upgrades, all the character bios/interview tapes, completed all the Psychical Challenges... :D

I do think the Story Mode is considerably shorter than that of Arkham Asylum... It also lacks the mystery and psychological horror of Arkham Asylum too; the psycho inmates and Scarecrow made Arkham Asylum creepy.

The boss fights aren't much fun either because they're not challenging enough - they're far too easy.

Apart from those nitpicks (and a few others) I love the game! But out of the two, I much prefer Arkham Asylum.

* I had to use a video guide for about 4 or 5 of them though. I bet the Wonder City trophies you're referring to are either - the one that closes when you step through the window, or the one up above from that behind that breakable ceiling. :D I was confused with those two...

Interplay 11-21-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazzoid (Post 594191)
* I had to use a video guide for about 4 or 5 of them though. I bet the Wonder City trophies you're referring to are either - the one that closes when you step through the window, or the one up above from that behind that breakable ceiling. :D I was confused with those two...

:D You nailed it! It was the one with the breakable ceiling. I knew where it was but I tried everything to break that wall until I had my Eureka! moment. It's funny; the second I finally thought of the solution, I knew it would work.

Quote:

I love it! I'm pretty much done with it though - I just need to finish New Game +. I've beaten all the Combat and Predator Challenges (both as Batman and Catwoman), collected all the Riddler Trophies*, completed all the Riddles, completed all the side missions, I have pretty much all the achievements, all the gadgets/upgrades, all the character bios/interview tapes, completed all the Psychical Challenges... :D

That's truly impressive. I won't even ask how many hours that took. I'm still trying to mop up the riddler trophies, and then I need to finish up some of the side missions (Identity killer, Watcher). I haven't even tried a Challenge yet. Wow.

Quote:

I do think the Story Mode is considerably shorter than that of Arkham Asylum... It also lacks the mystery and psychological horror of Arkham Asylum too; the psycho inmates and Scarecrow made Arkham Asylum creepy.

The boss fights aren't much fun either because they're not challenging enough - they're far too easy.

Apart from those nitpicks (and a few others) I love the game! But out of the two, I much prefer Arkham Asylum.

I loved both games. I agree I liked the story and the way it played out better in the first game. However, the sequel is just so jam packed with stuff to do, that I think I have to prefer Arkham City. Bonus Points: scaling that Wonder City tower with the skyline in the background has to be one of the coolest things I've ever done in a game. :D

I did miss the Scarecrow, though.

DustyShinigami 11-21-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interplay (Post 594209)
:D You nailed it! It was the one with the breakable ceiling. I knew where it was but I tried everything to break that wall until I had my Eureka! moment. It's funny; the second I finally thought of the solution, I knew it would work.

Kudos for working it out on your own! I had to check a guide... :o

Quote:

That's truly impressive. I won't even ask how many hours that took. I'm still trying to mop up the riddler trophies, and then I need to finish up some of the side missions (Identity killer, Watcher). I haven't even tried a Challenge yet. Wow.
Thanks. I had to do all the side missions again tonight in order to get 100% completion. :crazy: I thought getting 100% would just involve beating New Game+, but apparently not.

I do wish the game would say how many hours have been pumped into it; I'm very curious as to how long I've been at it. :P

Be warned if you plan on doing the Challenges: some of the Predator Challenges are frustratingly hard, especially with Catwoman! The combat ones are ideal for honing your skills though. I was really rusty with the combat when I started playing...

Either way, I've fully beaten the game now (unfortunately). But because I'm not ready to leave the world of Batman, I'm giving Arkham Asylum another replay. :)

Quote:

I loved both games. I agree I liked the story and the way it played out better in the first game. However, the sequel is just so jam packed with stuff to do, that I think I have to prefer Arkham City. Bonus Points: scaling that Wonder City tower with the skyline in the background has to be one of the coolest things I've ever done in a game. :D
Mmm-hmm

Quote:

I did miss the Scarecrow, though.
Me too. Do you know about the little Easter Egg related to Scarecrow? http://serve.mysmiley.net/evilgrin/evilgrin0010.gif

Interplay 11-27-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazzoid (Post 594226)
Me too. Do you know about the little Easter Egg related to Scarecrow?

The only possible Scarecrow easter egg I found was his clothes and mask somewhere (maybe on top of a monorail car? I can't remember) and some of the thugs talking about him. Was there something else I missed?

Again I commend your dedication. I finally found all the riddles without a walkthrough. Though some of the combat type challenge riddles were tough (air assault from one thug to another). I'm now working my way through the New Game Plus. It is a nice challenge the way they mix things up. (I just probably spent an hour trying to figure out all the ways to beat Mr. Freeze on the NG+). I have no intention of doing the combat challenges, so I'm afraid it's back to Gamefly once I finally beat the New Game +. So, I won't be able to match your total domination of the game (no platinum trophy :\).

All in all, though, I can't remember the last time I spent this many hours really enjoying a game. I would be all for some story DLC, but I'm not going to spend money just to do some challenge rooms as Nightwing.

DustyShinigami 11-28-2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interplay (Post 594674)
The only possible Scarecrow easter egg I found was his clothes and mask somewhere (maybe on top of a monorail car? I can't remember) and some of the thugs talking about him. Was there something else I missed?

The one you're referring to isn't an Easter Egg as it's the solution to a riddle. ;) No, the one I'm talking about is different...

Spoiler:
On the Falcone barge, in the Industrial District's docks, use your Cryptographic Sequencer on the hatch; the answer is City of Terror. Check out the manifest at the end... Oh, and don't forget to zoom in on the tied-up guard!

There's also another Easter Egg in The Joker's hideout where Batman was attacked.

Spoiler:
Where Harley Quinn's costume is (the answer to a riddle), there's a pregnancy kit on the floor to the left. Zoom in on it.

Quote:

Though some of the combat type challenge riddles were tough (air assault from one thug to another).
That one was a pain. :shifty: The rest I didn't really have a problem with, though.

Quote:

I have no intention of doing the combat challenges, so I'm afraid it's back to Gamefly once I finally beat the New Game +. So, I won't be able to match your total domination of the game (no platinum trophy :\).
http://serve.mysmiley.net/evilgrin/evilgrin0010.gif

Quote:

I would be all for some story DLC, but I'm not going to spend money just to do some challenge rooms as Nightwing.
Yeah, me too. After doing all those Challenge Rooms, I have no intention of doing more anytime soon. Maybe when I have no other game to play and all the DLC is bundled together for a cheap price, I will.

But yeah, I wish they would release some story DLC!

Interplay 12-01-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazzoid (Post 594699)
Yeah, me too. After doing all those Challenge Rooms, I have no intention of doing more anytime soon. Maybe when I have no other game to play and all the DLC is bundled together for a cheap price, I will.

But yeah, I wish they would release some story DLC!

OK, I think I'm done. I about had a heart attack, though:

Spoiler:
I thought I would do things differently in the New Game+, so I decided to have Catwoman not help Batman after the vault. Well, she walked out, Batman died, and the credits started rolling. I was so afraid I had just messed up my chance to beat NG+ without starting over. But then, the game rewinded and let me make the "right" choice. :)

I finished the New Game+, so I think I will leave the challenge rooms for (maybe) another day. It's back to Gamefly for Arkham City. Really looking forward to Assassin's Creed Revelations.

Overall, though, I had a great time playing this game (for many, many hours) and I think it would have to be my GOTY so far (though there are some great games that just came out that I haven't had a chance to play).

terhardp 12-09-2011 12:19 AM

Playing and enjoying it, so far. :)

Gabe 12-09-2011 10:14 AM

Kind of disappointed that no traffic in AC and Batmobile.

Lucien21 12-09-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 595310)
Kind of disappointed that no traffic in AC and Batmobile.

It's a prison, why would there be traffic. :crazy:

Gabe 12-10-2011 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21 (Post 595312)
It's a prison, why would there be traffic. :crazy:

What u mean Arkham City a prison?

Monolith 12-10-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 595348)
What u mean Arkham City a prison?

The city is Gotham, not Arkham. Why do you think its called Arkham City, especially after playing the game Arkham Asylum.

Two and two plus a billion parts in the game and information online, this part of Gotham was closed off and turned into a prison when the villains escaped.

Gabe 12-11-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 595363)
The city is Gotham, not Arkham. Why do you think its called Arkham City, especially after playing the game Arkham Asylum.

Two and two plus a billion parts in the game and information online, this part of Gotham was closed off and turned into a prison when the villains escaped.

Rocksteady doing the same thing again game named city then no real city map just a bigger asylum but catwoman fun at least.