You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Mass Effect 3 official trailer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #1

Default Mass Effect 3 official trailer

trailer

it's not often any more that I get excited about a new game, especially a non-adventure game, but Mass Effect 3? just the name alone, the next in the fantastic Mass Effect series, is enough but throw in this trailer as well...
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 12-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
The 'Mighty Dragon'

I'm excited simply because it's an end to the Shepard trilogy, and that means BioWare will be free to improve on the things that are wrong with the series, but also give us a kick-ass end to this whole story.

Could sit here for hours listing what I want for the next ME titles
Old 12-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
kamikaze hummingbirds

There are going to be other ME titles after this one?

Also, I'm excited for this next one.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #4

BioWare said ME3 will conclude the Shepard/Reaper story but that they have plans to continue the Mass Effect franchise with new stories
personally I'm hoping for an 'Origins' style, multiple playable races and offering some different content depending on which you pick
Old 12-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Life and times of...

Talk about a Halo trailer...

Anyways, I'm excited about the game though the trailer isn't really thrilling to me. Just the same old "Earth is losing, only you can save us all!" *dum, dum, dummm*

Still, I'm sure the game is much more interesting.

Also, did I hear rumours about a Mass Effect shooter? Not that I'm exactly thrilled about that, I'd much rather have a RPG from a different perspective, but that's one way they might be continuing the franchise.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #6

as far as I've seen the ME shooter rumours are completely baseless. it wouldn't surprise me if there's some truth to them but if so it's probably more coincidence than any kind of leak. personally I wouldn't mind ME3 being a little more RPG than the second one was, but with BioWare's writing I could possibly even be tempted to try a proper FPS, although with a lot of skepticism

as for the trailer, it doesn't tell us a lot about the game and only a little about the story, and nothing surprising at that. but to me at least, it struck a good note and the sight of London under attack from several Reaper ships was impressive. plus players have been asking for Earth in previous games and now we finally will
Old 12-14-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
as for the trailer, it doesn't tell us a lot about the game and only a little about the story, and nothing surprising at that.
I didn't really care for the soldier's monologue. How does an earthbound soldier know of Shepard (and their exploits) but not have some idea of who the Reapers are?

Even if you believe in the successful attempts at misinformation by the earth military and the council, The ships in the trailer are an exact match for Sovereign. The reason Shepard is a household name. So why does the soldier say he doesn't know who they are?

I'd have expected some anger over being lied to or better still, an incorrect assumption that the Geth are attacking.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:02 AM   #8
Life and times of...

What I found a little odd in that sense is that since the reapers are supposed
Spoiler:
to be like the creatures they've harvested, much like the semi-complete thing looked like a human, why is every one of those an exact match for Sovereign like said above? OK, they probably do a few reapers from each new "batch", but why isn't there at least some reaper that looks a little different there?

Old 12-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
I didn't really care for the soldier's monologue. How does an earthbound soldier know of Shepard (and their exploits) but not have some idea of who the Reapers are?
Just a guess, but maybe he is a well know earth soldier? He is a human after all. Its no different than some of the planets that were unaware of the reapers.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 12-14-2010, 03:25 AM   #10
Life and times of...

I think (unless I misunderstood your post, in which case: sorry ) that he meant that if one knows Shepard, one should also know the reapers, since that's really why Shepard is famous.

Also, one more thing bugs me: what the heck does "Holiday 2011" mean? They haven't decided when they'll release it but know it has to be some holiday? It could be Easter, it could be Christmas, it could be spring break, could be the Finnish independence day...

And yeah, it's probably christmas but why the heck can't they just say it? Or if they want to be so overly-sensitive, then just say "december" for crying out loud! It's better than saying "christmas" anyways, as it's much more allowing and informative (as on christmas the stores won't be open...)

I'm on edge, it would seem

Last edited by UPtimist; 12-14-2010 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
What I found a little odd in that sense is that since the reapers are supposed
Spoiler:
to be like the creatures they've harvested, much like the semi-complete thing looked like a human, why is every one of those an exact match for Sovereign like said above? OK, they probably do a few reapers from each new "batch", but why isn't there at least some reaper that looks a little different there?

Spoiler:
Perhaps they realised how stupid the baby terminator looked (it ruined the ending for me) and decided to stick with the cool design. The Sovereign look is inspired by the Cthulhu mythos (with the tentacles and all). As a matter of fact the reapers themseves are cthulhu inspired (unstopabble, god like creatures that decide our destiny). The human Reaper was a joke. A bad one.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:02 AM   #12

Holiday 2011 does indeed mean Christmas. I'm not sure if it's because of the overly sensitive complainers or if it's just one of those weird cultural differences (kind of like how they call autumn "fall")
Old 12-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
I think (unless I misunderstood your post, in which case: sorry ) that he meant that if one knows Shepard, one should also know the reapers, since that's really why Shepard is famous.
Not really. Shepard was famous before Mass Effect 1 because He/She is one of the top Alliance soldiers and they were aboard the Normandy, arguably the most famous Alliance ship in the navy.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
Not really. Shepard was famous before Mass Effect 1 because...
Actually, remember that one of the first choices in ME1 is which way is Shepard famous in particular (3x3 posible options, I think).
Old 12-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
The 'Mighty Dragon'

Yes. You decide Shepard's childhood and how Shepard came to be where they are.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #16
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Not really. Shepard was famous before Mass Effect 1 because He/She is one of the top Alliance soldiers and they were aboard the Normandy, arguably the most famous Alliance ship in the navy.
The Normandy was a secret for most of ME1. In ME2 Shepard wonders how Cerberus got such detailed specs to build the Normandy II.

Jacob has a lot to say about the manner in which the Alliance treated Shepard's image/memory after the Citadel. It wasn't until just prior to their death at the start of ME2 that Shepard was used as a recruiting role model/alliance poster-boy/girl.

Shepard's fame is the issue. The idea that someone can be so sure Shepard is the only one who can save the day and yet have no idea (even the wrong one) who the Reapers are is a bit of a stretch.

You don't think it would have been a better trailer if you saw Geth attacking earth, hear the lone soldier wondering about their motivations and hoping Shepard shows up... then the camera pans to show Reaper ships everywhere?

One of the biggest pay offs in ME3 has got to be the "...so you fucking believe me now you dickheads!?" moments. Its all the sweeter if the misinformation regarding the Geth, bites them in the ass too.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
the "...so you f**** believe me now you d****s!?" moments.
Yes, those are great. I doubt they use that language anyway.

But, seriously: were there not abundant hints that the Geth are not actually the problem? (Not all of them, at least).
Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #18
The 'Mighty Dragon'

The Geth aren't the problem as such. In Mass Effect 1 they're under the control of Saren via Sovereign. In ME2, I can't remember why most attack you but one "group" is under the control of a gone-wild AI.

They're a race with no real "life" to speak of and they make themselves (If my memory is correct) - They're the perfect soldiers.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:06 AM   #19
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periglo
But, seriously: were there not abundant hints that the geth are not actually the problem? (Not all of them, at least).
Quote:
The geth aren't the problem as such. In Mass Effect 1 they're under the control of Saren via Sovereign. In ME2, I can't remember why most attack you but one "group" is under the control of a gone-wild AI.
In ME2 the attack on the citadel (Sovereign/ME1) is passed off by the Alliance and the Council as a geth attack in a joint effort to dispel/deny the existence of the reapers. They claim that Sovereign was constructed by the geth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turian Councilor
Ah yes... "Reapers", the immortal race of sentient starships allegedly waiting in darkspace. We have dismissed that claim.
Go speak to Anderson in the citadel or better still, delay your visit to the presidium until after you've recruited Legion, and take him along to hear him deny the misinformation directly.

If a bunch of ships that look like Sovereign show up and attack you, and your government has been telling you they're a geth design...

Quote:
[Geth are] a race with no real "life" to speak of and they make themselves (If my memory is correct) - They're the perfect soldiers.
The geth that attack you in both ME1 & ME2 are a splinter faction of former 'true geth' who have left the veil (quarian home system) because they believe the reapers are the machine version of gods and will give them purpose (a dig at religion). It's what Legion's whole loyalty mission was about... do you destroy those 'abnormal' geth possibly under the reaper's sway or do you rewrite their belief system, returning them to 'true geth' thinking.

The geth are more than soldiers.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #20

Shepard was already famous at the start of ME1 (eg. getting interviewed, shepard's fan who wants to become spectre. Actually it was him attaining the spectre that gave him most of the fame as he was the first human to do so. As for Earth not knowing about the Reaper threat..well that can be explained in a number of ways. The only Reaper the current galactic civilizations ever encountered was Sovereign. Secondly, don't forget the Illusive man and the power he wields. If he has so much influence on a galactic scale, than I am sure he is able to keep the Reaper threat secret...at least from Earth. There a lot of other explanations...but these came to mind first.
In my opinion, the Reapers are just making the same kind of attack they did when they wiped out the previous civilizations (Protheans). Shepard messed with their plans, and they are probably doing it prematurely so maybe this is not their full army.
Anyways... I can't wait for ME3!!! Definitely the game I am most exited for... can't wait to see how all the decisions I have made in the previous two will affect the third installment.