You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Looking for exploration games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 04:58 AM   #1

Default Looking for exploration games

Hi all,

Just new here. I was lurking these forums for the last couple of years to find very old adventure games which I never found an opportunity to finish during my childhood so many thanks to the community here.

I am currently looking for some adventure/exploration games, preferably sci-fi games where the hero takes part in a plot (preferably semi- to full sandbox game) and explore the vast universe with either ships or teleportation devices.

I am especially into the exploration part where I need to find and understand the "unknown" civilizations, plants, minerals solar systems etc. It'd be nice to evolve in such a game where relationships with other races are maintained (when possible).

I could swear that I once had a glimpse on such a game a long time ago but I can't seem to remember if it is a real memory or just a fantasy...?

Anyways, to you fellow gamers out there, please list anything that could have to do with the above criteria.

I am ruling out games below which I either play(ed) or heard about so far:
- Eve Online (very limited exploration in here)
- Star Trek Online (I heard it's not that sandbox at all so everything seems to be very linear) --> Please convince me of the contrary if I am wrong.
- Galatic Civilizations -> Great game but I look for more interaction on a planetary basis
- X3 --> Almost what I was looking for but it is lacking the exploration and planetary parts

I am hoping that such a game (still) exists or is in development?

Thank you!

The Explorer
Old 12-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
Schattenjäger

well you should definitely check out darkstar: the interactive movie www.darkstar.gs . The games focus is not planet exploration (though that does happen), but rather ship exploration. The main character wakes up with amnesia after being in a cryopod for hundreds of years. So you explore the ship trying to figure out what happened and its alot of fun.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

You should definitely check out the Mass Effect games if you haven't already, lots of combing over the galaxies doing quests on planets and mining for minerals as well as a lot of dealing with other alien races where you have a lot of choice on whether to be friendly or hostile with them.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing