Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Fallout: New Vegas (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/27801-fallout-new-vegas.html)

Crunchy in milk 09-15-2010 08:45 PM

Fallout: New Vegas

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/...1788e12635.jpg
Image hotlinked from Flikr if it doesn't work (naughty of me really).

Fallout New Vegas companions have been revealed (saw this on Escapist)

I think my ideal party is Veronica and ED-E.
Resisting a guy named Arcade is going to be tough though.

Each companion has a bonus perk/power that effects your character somehow. Decisions, decisions.

Niko 09-16-2010 07:24 AM

CM, do you know if Fallout Las Vegas is going to be an open ended game, or if it will have an ending like F3 ?

Shany 09-16-2010 07:58 AM

I read that it will have an ending, but will let you know before you reach it so that you can save your game.

Crunchy in milk 09-16-2010 05:33 PM

Fallout New Vegas Director Explains Its Definitive Ending

Quote:

"We put a lot of effort into the ending slides -- we know those slides are really popular with people so we want to make sure there's a huge amount of variety and reactivity with that stuff. We weren't really focused on new features so much as to add a really rich sense of reactivity to the players and the choices they make."
Quote:

"the end of the game is coming, so we're saving your game right now, so if you want to keep your game going, you can, otherwise, it's about to be over."

Niko 09-18-2010 08:29 AM

cool thanks. so its pretty similar to F3 then, you decice to go on and finish the main quest/game, or leave it hanging at your own disgression.

Jcar 09-18-2010 06:09 PM

I didn't like the first Fallout much. It just felt like "Oblivion: Lite" to me. I don't understand why everyone raved about it as it was basically just an Oblivion mod.

Oblivion was brilliant. I don't think it had as strong of a story as Fallout, but nonetheless the world was better constructed (the fallout world was kind of limited by its post-apocalyptic setting--so all of the areas of the world, no matter where, basically looked the same, whereas Oblivion had more variety), the map and inventory system was better set up (which probably stems from the fact that Oblivion seemed to be designed for PCs, while Fallout seemed to be designed for systems), and it was just generally better.

Maybe it's just because I bought the Game of the Year edition of Fallout, though. I played one of the DLC's (the alien one) before finishing the main campaign, and my character ended up being seriously over-powered from the start as a consequence (because of the alien weaponry). So the main quest, and the game in general, ended up being a bit of a snooze--even on the hardest difficulty.

Ah well. Maybe the Vegas one will be better. I just hope they set up the inventory and map system differently, so you don't have to get to all of them by way of your wristband, but instead can push hot keys that will take you directly to them.

Burns11 09-20-2010 07:02 AM

That you think Fallout 3 is the first Fallout makes me sad.

I have great hopes that this game will be written better and get back much of the flavor lost from the original games.

rayvio 09-20-2010 08:40 AM

I hated Oblivion (it felt far too much like a watered down Morrowind and the interface changes especially trade and persuasion were awful) but enjoyed Fallout 3. the first two Fallout games were far superior, but Fallout 3 was a decent spiritual successor in my opinion. not a classic, but a good time killer

and trust me, Oblivion was not designed for PCs. half the interface problems came from them being designed to be console friendly

Monolith 09-20-2010 01:39 PM

Fallout 3 had a lot more depth and functionality than Oblivon. I was about to go on some wild angst tangent with everything that was wrong with Jcar's statement, but I just won't.

When I played Oblivion, I always felt that the engine was capable of providing a unique FP experience for the fallout series. It had all the gameplay mechanics to make it work. This was before they even announced Fallout 3. lol So it always hurts when people complain about how stupid it was to make Fallout on the same engine.

Then again, Haters going to hate and taters going to tate.

Crunchy in milk 09-21-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 559872)
I was about to go on some wild angst tangent with everything that was wrong with Jcar's statement, but I just won't.

Its just an opinion. Everyone's entitled to their own.

I really enjoyed Fallout 3. It took some effort on my part to make a character that I could believably see following the main plot's motivation (find dad). As well as a couple of mods to address a lacking gameplay feature that suits the setting to a tea but was sorely missing. The building and managing of my own robot minions.

Once I had those bases covered I enjoyed nearly every minute of the game.

The game does try to railroad you into a powered armour wearing soldier towards the end, but my character managed to stick to her tinkering, tunnel snake jacket wearing, grease monkey guns thanks to her bots.

I haven't really been following New Vegas development, but I'm really hoping robotics got a look in as an area to adopt influences from the modding scene much as weapon modifications where.

Taking on the wasteland with an adjustable wrench and some know how is Fallout to me.

rayvio 09-21-2010 11:50 PM

that does remind me of one thing I really didn't like in Fallout 3 though. as is usual for me in games with moral choices, I played with two different characters, one good who wanted to find her father and help, and one evil who wanted to find him because he's pissed off about being abandoned
then you get to
Spoiler:
the point where you find your father and the only way to continue the main storyline is to help with his research,
which is completely out of character for the evil character

Monolith 09-22-2010 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk (Post 559972)
Its just an opinion. Everyone's entitled to their own.

I really enjoyed Fallout 3. It took some effort on my part to make a character that I could believably see following the main plot's motivation (find dad). As well as a couple of mods to address a lacking gameplay feature that suits the setting to a tea but was sorely missing. The building and managing of my own robot minions.

Once I had those bases covered I enjoyed nearly every minute of the game.

The game does try to railroad you into a powered armour wearing soldier towards the end, but my character managed to stick to her tinkering, tunnel snake jacket wearing, grease monkey guns thanks to her bots.

I haven't really been following New Vegas development, but I'm really hoping robotics got a look in as an area to adopt influences from the modding scene much as weapon modifications where.

Taking on the wasteland with an adjustable wrench and some know how is Fallout to me.

Agreed! But facts are facts. Opinions can't change them. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayvio (Post 559989)
that does remind me of one thing I really didn't like in Fallout 3 though. as is usual for me in games with moral choices, I played with two different characters, one good who wanted to find her father and help, and one evil who wanted to find him because he's pissed off about being abandoned
then you get to
Spoiler:
the point where you find your father and the only way to continue the main storyline is to help with his research,
which is completely out of character for the evil character

Yeah, I agree, but seriously where would you go with that. Does the player become evil and lose interest in the father's work and completely destroy the point of the game or we sort of force the player into a non-biased objective? It worked out in my opinion and general logic.

orient 09-24-2010 12:12 AM

Fallout 3, much better than Oblivion from a game-play perspective. It all comes down to which setting you prefer. I tend to prefer post-apocalyptic over high fantasy, but any setting can grow tiresome if it's overused. I hope enough time has passed since I put 80 hours into Fallout 3 - enough for me to enjoy New Vegas.

Niko 09-26-2010 08:45 AM

I love the Thief series so most of the time in Morrowind/Oblivion/F3 i go for a sneaky character, so far the implimetation of that type of character has been rewarding. Will be interesting to see if they add some different aspects.

Terabin 10-18-2010 08:45 PM

Anyone pre-order this or getting this tomorrow?

Burns11 10-19-2010 06:12 AM

It'll be delivered to me from Gamefly tomorrow (wed). I was going to buy it, but once they announced they were withholding the DLC for the PS3 and PC, it became silly to buy this version and have it collect dust until they decide to release the DLC for everybody. They will, more than likely, release a version of the game with all the DLC included anyway next year. Who knows if, by then, that I will even want the DLC, I didn't with Fallout 3 because I was too busy with Demon's Souls and Dragon Age.

Crunchy in milk 10-19-2010 08:45 PM

Looks like a rather drastic bug with Nvidia cards (at least they're the most vocal) and NPC heads.

Best to hold off till the hot fix, its a doosey of a release bug, something you could only expect from a Bethesda-Obsidian pairing.

Dwagginz 10-20-2010 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orient (Post 560138)
Fallout 3, much better than Oblivion from a game-play perspective. It all comes down to which setting you prefer. I tend to prefer post-apocalyptic over high fantasy, but any setting can grow tiresome if it's overused. I hope enough time has passed since I put 80 hours into Fallout 3 - enough for me to enjoy New Vegas.

I agree completely. I don't mind the change of setting (Fallout 3 was, ashamedly, my first foray into the Fallout universe), but everything they did as an improvement in Fallout 3 was so much better. I wouldn't say no to playing Oblivion in the FO3 incarnation of the engine, though, as I think the improvements (Especially with movement, the way the camera works and the engine efficiency) would solve a lot of Oblivion's issues.

One of my only "real" problems with FO 3 is with VATS. It feels more like a "God mode" than anything, and there's no real reason not to use it. You take less damage in VATS mode, you (I think) gain accuracy and possibly deal more damage.

New Vegas should be arriving this week (Isn't released here until the 22nd, but I believe it's shipped already), and I have to say I'm looking forward to playing it. I hope I'm given it a little bit before my birthday, though, as I'm getting Fable 3 and Battle vs Chess (I hope, of course) too, and I'd like to spread things out a little.

Hammerite 10-23-2010 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niko (Post 560331)
I love the Thief series so most of the time in Morrowind/Oblivion/F3 i go for a sneaky character, so far the implimetation of that type of character has been rewarding. Will be interesting to see if they add some different aspects.

Hehe, same. :)

SamandMax 10-24-2010 07:34 PM

I've put about 6 hours into this already and while it's just as addictive and fun as the last game, there is definitely a feeling of deja vu when playing it. I knew going in that nothing had really changed since the last game but as much as I thought I'd be ok with that, it's hard not to notice how familiar everything is is and how dated the engine continues to be. It's still really good, and I'm sure I'm going to put another 80 hours into it, but the next entry in the Fallout series better be a true sequel because the Oblivion engine is absolutely finished.