Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Dragon Age 2 Revealed (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/27236-dragon-age-2-revealed.html)

imisssunwell 07-09-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roper Klacks (Post 554447)
Thanks for the info, imisssunwell :)

However i'm confused by this point, i'm not getting it:
"More than half" of the Dragon Age left by the time Awakening begins [David Gaider]

David Gaider's comment is:

Quote:

Awakening started less than a year after Origins-- so there's still plenty of Age left to go after that point. More than half of it, in fact.
My take is that if awakening's end is already X years into the "Dragon Age" (as a time period), then there are still another X years before this Age ends. TLDR: lots of stuff can happen in DA world, lots of stories to be told.

Origins beginning may not be day 0 of Dragon Age (as a time period), there could be stories to explore even before that I guess.

imisssunwell 07-09-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aries323 (Post 554448)
I've always looked at the DA universe as sort of the same as the Elder Scrolls Universe (that takes place in the lands of Tamriel) in which Bioware can tell the different stories they want to tell.

yes that what I understand as well. They wanted to get freed from D&D licenses, so they created their own world, their own rules and do what Bethesda & Blizz do.

Quote:

And the thread is not about how sexist is it to have a guy as the marketing sign for DA2, it is about why Bioware (and EA) won't market women on the cover of the game - if they did, maybe ne more women buy games like these.
What can I say, people love to whine for every part of this game, they may as well whine for that. Anyhow a Bioware dev said if they were to do so, they'd use a hawt girl, so it's fine by me, not that I'm too interested.

from David Geider's Post http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...1453/1#3061696:

Quote:

I also suspect that if we did put forward a female iconic character (a la Aribeth) the response could easily be that we made her too sexy. A bit of "damned if you do, damned if you don't", perhaps. Hard to say, but we're going to always have to pick one, and the idea is to be eye-catching and sexy-- as opposed to politically correct. I'm no marketing guy, but that seems to be pretty much a given.

imisssunwell 07-09-2010 09:25 AM

Update: Hawke is voiced http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to.../index/3069976

Guess thats why a male is on the cover, they probably voiced Hawke to be a male. Tbh I'd rather see them spending their resources on other stuff than a redundant female voiceover.

Roper Klacks 07-09-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imisssunwell (Post 554451)
Tbh I'd rather see them spending their resources on other stuff than a redundant female voiceover.

Redundant? I guess they will do the same as Shepard, so a female voice has to be present.

imisssunwell 07-09-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roper Klacks (Post 554455)
Redundant? I guess they will do the same as Shepard, so a female voice has to be present.

I played ME only as male but e.g. in kotor, where I played a female toon, it was pretty obvious the game was designed around a male protagonist. Also in Dragon Age: Origins, again, how do you
Spoiler:
have a child with Morrigan when the protagonist is female
?

Sometimes games are designed around specific genres, even if they don't specifically claim so. This doesn't mean you can't play as the other genre, but rather that one genre is more polished. Choosing the "other" genre has its limitations.

If DA2 is more polished for male characters, in case something they haven't already done it, I'd prefer it if they focused their money, time & energy elsewhere than a female voiceover.

Dale Baldwin 07-09-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imisssunwell (Post 554460)
Also in Dragon Age: Origins, again, how do you have a child with Morrigan when the protagonist is female?

Spoiler:
Alistair is the father instead.

imisssunwell 07-09-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin (Post 554461)
Spoiler:
Alistair is the father instead.

Cheers, I'll put spoiler tags on my question as well, someone may not have played the game.

It seems in Origins, plot-wise, both genres well taken care of tho.

Crunchy in milk 07-09-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imisssunwell (Post 554451)
Tbh I'd rather see them spending their resources on other stuff than a redundant female voiceover.

The mass effect series is overwhelmingly marketed with a male Shepard but the female Shepard voice artist is unarguably the better of the two and all kinds of awesome.

I don't mind them semi rolling a pre-made character to facilitate fully voiced lines. Conversations really do flow better, but its not without its drawbacks. Just try playing a back guy with Mark Meer's voice in ME2 (awful).

Its surprising just how much more punch NPC dialogue has when your character's name (ie:Shepard) is spoken. And how bloody awkward dialogue can sound when NPCs cannot say your characters name (Dragon Age banter is rife with this).

Side note: Jade Empire was marketed almost exclusively with the female protagonist Wu the Lotus Blossom, on the cover and all. Still no sequel for that...

imisssunwell 07-09-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk (Post 554464)
The mass effect series is overwhelmingly marketed with a male Shepard but the female Shepard voice artist is unarguably the better of the two and all kinds of awesome.

I don't mind them semi rolling a pre-made character to facilitate fully voiced lines. Conversations really do flow better, but its not without its drawbacks. Just try playing a back guy with Mark Meer's voice in ME2 (awful).

Its surprising just how much more punch NPC dialogue has when your character's name (ie:Shepard) is spoken. And how bloody awkward dialogue can sound when NPCs cannot say your characters name (Dragon Age banter is rife with this).

Side note: Jade Empire was marketed almost exclusively with the female protagonist Wu the Lotus Blossom, on the cover and all. Still no sequel for that...

ok, after Dale's reply on the plot DA plot thing and the re-assurance that in ME2 a female character also works well, it makes sense to have female voiceovers. My prejudice was based mainly on kotor, where

Spoiler:
A female Revan seemed to be unfit in several occasions, including totally missing the romance with Bastila. Carth romance was inferior imo.

Roper Klacks 07-09-2010 05:10 PM

About the voice overs, it has good and bad points. The good ones are obviously the improved cinematic experience and we wont have those awful moments where our protagonist don't express emotions and stare to the infinite.

However we also have a bad points. We will loose the role play aspect around our character (it will be his/her story, not our story), the game will probably be shorter and it can cut immersion, its a bit annoying when we choose a line and he/she delivers that line with a completely different tone and emotion that we want to express.

Quote:

Originally Posted by imisssunwell (Post 554465)
Spoiler:
A female Revan seemed to be unfit in several occasions, including totally missing the romance with Bastila. Carth romance was inferior imo.

Spoiler:
I agree that the bastilla romance was better (mainly cause i love her character) but the Carth/Revan romance was not that bad either, at least i enjoyed it and it didn't seem unfit at all. Their romance was a lot better than the terrible Shepard/Kaidan... that guy was such a boring character :Z

aries323 07-10-2010 12:29 AM

When we play adventure games, is we not playing our story? then. I also figured we did, but that must just have been me, I'd guess?

Nearly every adventure game (modern at least) have a voiced over character and I've always felt that I was playing, assuming the role of say Sherlock Holmes or Kate Walker.

Also, the whole point about playing our character, I don't seem to get. We're playing a role, as in a character that is not us, even when the main character in an rpg like Baldur's Gate was not voiced e.g. didn't have voice over. The story is not about me in a strange land, it is about my character i.e. the character I'm playing in the game. And like in a play, this character may perform acts, I, as myself, would never do, in real life.

Roper Klacks 07-10-2010 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aries323 (Post 554493)
When we play adventure games, is we not playing our story? then. I also figured we did, but that must just have been me, I'd guess?

Nearly every adventure game (modern at least) have a voiced over character and I've always felt that I was playing, assuming the role of say Sherlock Holmes or Kate Walker.

Also, the whole point about playing our character, I don't seem to get. We're playing a role, as in a character that is not us, even when the main character in an rpg like Baldur's Gate was not voiced e.g. didn't have voice over. The story is not about me in a strange land, it is about my character i.e. the character I'm playing in the game. And like in a play, this character may perform acts, I, as myself, would never do, in real life.

The point of an RPG is for the player to... role play, for the player to imagine himselft as that character in that world and play the game based in our decisions.

That obviously doesn't happen on adventure games, the characters are predetermined and we can't change his/her personality. In most cases the protagonist talks to the player, is more like a journey of two, player and character.

Tramponline 07-10-2010 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roper Klacks (Post 554503)
That obviously doesn't happen on adventure games, the characters are predetermined and we can't change his/her personality. In most cases the protagonist talks to the player, is more like a journey of two, player and character.

Not quite. It's all a part of the 'suspension of disbelieve' and the nature of the player's duality, even in adventure games, is not quite as simple as you put it.
On a certain level adventure games wouldn't work, if that were the case, I think.

Roper Klacks 07-10-2010 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tramponline (Post 554504)
Not quite. It's all a part of the 'suspension of disbelieve' and the nature of the player's duality, even in adventure games, is not quite as simple as you put it.
On a certain level adventure games wouldn't work, if that were the case, I think.

Well i guess... but in most adventures we can't mold the character personality and abilities and thats the essence of role playing.

imisssunwell 07-10-2010 08:07 AM

This is quite interesting but a little off-topic, maybe a mod could move this to a new topic like "comparing adventures to RPGs".

Anyhow, my take is this, roughly speaking RPGs can be divided in Hack & Slash, like Diablo, Dungeon Siege, Icewind Dale, and more heavy on RP elements (e.g. Planescape, Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate ect). Of course there are many games somewhere between those categories.

Hack & slash games are usually lighter on story elements and don't share much with AGs.

Some of the RPGs with heavy RP elements, do have allot in common with AGs and in fact I'd like to see AGs, borrowing elements from them. Some of these games, like Planescape and the older Fallouts don't even require combat for their completion, or if they do it's very little.

Quote:

the characters are predetermined
Planescape gave us the nameless one, who was like a tabula rasa, instead of pre-fixing things. Planescape could have been an adventure if it was made without combat -which I'm not sure is needed for completing the game-. Of course people still cite torment even today for it's deep roleplaying but couldn't AGs be made in this fashion? I think yes and I'd be interested to see some developer doing it.

AndreaDraco83 07-10-2010 08:44 AM

I'm a bit concerned about the new art style (which I hope it isn't too stylized) and about the improved combat style (I adore RTwP, and I wouldn't like for that too change).

With that said, I trust BioWare. They haven't let me down yet, so hopefully this won't be the first time. And in the meantime the announcement has convinced me to play through DA:O once again.

maladroid 07-10-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roper Klacks (Post 554423)
Believe it or not Dragon Age was a bigger comercial success than Mass Effect, so why change it to the same formula as Mass Effect?

Cool, I didn't know that. Of course, it does point out that Dragon Age was released across more platforms (mainly including a PS3 release that MEs lacked) but still, I didn't realise DA:O did so well, especially since I remember reading somewhere that it didn't perform greatly during its first few weeks on the shelves (can't seem to find the link though, I may remember wrong).

Also, the piece compares DA:O to ME 1 (if I understand correcly), while, I believe, it wasn't until the huge success of the second game that the ME franchise reached its full potential for the Bioware-EA executives.

Anyway, it seems that the "total convertion to ME" that has been shouted from forum rooftops for the last couple of days may not be completely true after all. Conversation wheel aside, the combat is said to have retained much of its initial qualities with the rumored changes being more heavily intoruced to the console versions in order to make them equally user-friendly this time around.

I admit getting minor chills when a visual style reminiscent of Samurai Jack was hinted at by some speculators, though...

aries323 07-10-2010 01:41 PM

The info in this thread

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...4393/4#3074424

should put some of our fears to rest. Here's something about the combat (from an article in the Game Informer Magazine)

Quote:

The PC version's combat system remains mostly the same. "The PC version implements the same strategic approach afforded by a mouse-and-keyboard control scheme." "Rather than try to mimic the PC experience on consoles, Dragon Age II has a battle system more tailored to the strengths of the PS3 and 360.
According to the article (from which The Elite Elite) has made a summary, the dialogue will be carried out through a dialogue wheel similar to Mass Effect and the games narrative will be like this:

Quote:

Dragon Age II has a framed narrative structure, which means that the exploits of Hawke occured in the past, but are being retold in the present." "Narrators with unique insights into the events in question tell the tale of his past adventures.
I'm getting a fairly intuitive feeling that the story might be told like an adventure game then, but we shall see...

Roper Klacks 07-10-2010 06:23 PM

Ah excelent news! If they keep the combat in the same lines as the original my biggest fear is gone now :)

imisssunwell 07-10-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roper Klacks (Post 554552)
Ah excelent news! If they keep the combat in the same lines as the original my biggest fear is gone now :)

Well no-one from Bioware said combat is changing, all they said is "combat like a spartan" :P.