You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Any recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #1

Default Any recommendations?

Hey,

Some time ago, I finished Fable. I really liked it.
Now, I am looking for a game that is like Fable, an adventure game where you walk around with a sword and have to do stuff.
I tried out ''Dragon Age: Origins'', but I really didn't like that one because you move around in a party, and bla bla. You are not really your character, you are all the characters in your party, I didn't quite like that.

Do you have any suggestions on what would be a good game?
Please tell me.

Regards,
Nycrea
Old 07-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #2

That's RPG. But if you like it you should definitely try "The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind". It's one of the best RPGs ever made Even I liked it and I hate RPGs
Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cro_dark91 View Post
That's RPG.
I saw Fable in the list of Adeventure games, so I thought I'd give it a go here.
Sorry if this topic is misplaced.

Regards,
Nycrea
Old 07-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycrea View Post
I saw Fable in the list of Adeventure games...
I believe it's this Fable (1996), not the one you've played (2005).
Old 07-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #5

Fable is quite unique, there are more Fable games on Xbox 360 and iirc there is one more coming (360 again). Fable is usually thought to belong into the rpg genre.

In case the element of freedom to do anything you want is what you like about Fable, you may want to have a look at "sandbox"/free roaming games and see if you like them.

Not any decent sandbox AGs exist atm, at least none that I'm aware of. Two sandbox-like games I personally enjoyed are Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (rpg) and elder Scrolls: Oblivion (rpg). You may also want to have a look at GTA, Fallout 3. Again, Fable is quite unique in how it plays and you may want to try the demos of these games before buying them, to check out if they have what you're looking for.

Since you don't like party-based games, avoid stuff from Bioware & Obsidian, even if they advertise free-roaming worlds.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Caffein Queen

I would go for Fallout 3 if you're new to RPG's
Really easy learning curve.

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for Fable 3, it should be coming out at the end of October.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
scapegoat sculptor

Hey Nycrea,

I'm with you there. I much rather prefer going on my own most of the time.

You might want to check out this one:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27226

You'll still have a small party, but you're in absolute control. Thus you can leave them behind anytime you like and go solo! I do all the time actually!

@imisssunwell
Even though it's a hybrid strictly speaking, it's as close to a sandbox AG as you can get. And it's far more than decent!

Last edited by Tramponline; 07-07-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
Junior Mint

My favorite solo RPG is The Witcher. It has an excellent story, a pretty long campaign, and plenty of exploration along the way. It's more linear, as opposed to free-roaming, but there are multiple paths you can take to achieve your goals, and in some cases there are repercussions for your actions. It is an action RPG, and it can be played from either an isometric (overhead) view, or an over-the-shoulder view, as in Fable (or you can switch between them whenever you want).

Be warned, it's designed for mature audiences, so if you're not okay with sex, tons of bad language, and gratuitous violence, it might not be for you.

Last edited by booB; 07-07-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #10

I've heard good things about the Gothic series too, though I haven't tried them myself yet (still trying to get hold of Gothic 1 before I play the others). other than that, I'll second the votes for Witcher and Morrowind and raise you a Redguard (also Elder Scrolls). personally got bored of Oblivion very fast, but some people love it so maybe you'll enjoy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for Fable 3, it should be coming out at the end of October.
muttermuttermutter some of us are still waiting for Fable 2, even though it seems almost certain it'll never hit PC muttermuttermutter
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 07-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #11
Caffein Queen

You can get Gothic 1 + 2(Gold edition) from gog.com

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 07-08-2010, 04:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramponline View Post
Even though it's a hybrid strictly speaking, it's as close to a sandbox AG as you can get. And it's far more than decent!
Wasn't referring to Fable, as non-decent, many people don't consider anything with combat an adventure, even though RPGs with very strong roleplaying elements such as torment may not even require combat (Obsidian also said Fallout:New Vegas won't require combat). That's why I said I'm not aware of any decent sandbox adventure.

U6 remake looks quite cool! I remember playing a little bit of the original Ultima VI at a friend's house when it was released, I'll install Dungeon Siege & play it 20 yrs later.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:14 AM   #13
scapegoat sculptor

Sorry imisssunwell, my bad! I wasn't refering to Fable, I was refering to Ultima 6 Project, as you were saying...

Quote:
Not any decent sandbox AGs exist atm, at least none that I'm aware of.
I should've been clearer on that. (...quoting you probably would've been quite a sensible thing to do in the first place! )
Glad you like the first look! Let me know what you think about it in the U6P thread. I'm sincerely interested in any kind of feedback (positive as negative), as I'm enjoying it immensely!

Last edited by Tramponline; 07-08-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #14

Thanks for all the replies, I am now taking a look into the stuff you brought up. Really, thanks a lot.

Regards,
Nycrea
Old 07-09-2010, 04:25 AM   #15

Of games that i have played which are sword and sorcery, i would reccomend Morrowind & Oblivion 100% also maybe worth a look are Gothic 2 & 3, and if you like them then Arcania: Gothic 4 is out in the near future. There is also Risen which is a standalone game but based on the Gothic series gameplay. Neverwinter Nights 2 but this is party based.

Futuristic games, Knights of the old republic 1&2 or Fallout 3.

Make sure to have a look at them on youtube for some footage.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #16

I am completely ashamed of myself for not mentioning one of my all time favourite RPG's; Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
it's a lot of fun, especially as a Malkavian
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 08-07-2010, 04:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
I am completely ashamed of myself for not mentioning one of my all time favourite RPG's; Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
it's a lot of fun, especially as a Malkavian
I second that. Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines is easily one of the best RPGs ever made. And the fact that it's on Steam means no one has any excuse to not download it and play it. Plus there's a dedicated person who is regularly releasing patches for it to bring it closer to the original development team's vision.

But there's a ridiculous amount of good RPGs on the PC. The Fallout games. Planescape Torment, one of my all time favourites, regardless of genre. The awesome Neverwinter Nights.

Plus, does STALKER fall into this catergory? I have all three STALKER games and I always assumed they were FPS/RPG hybrids, like Deus Ex. Obviously it's more cut and dry than Deus Ex (for one thing you can't influence the structure of narrative like you can in Deus Ex), but you have a massive area to explore, quests to undertake and upgrades to find.

Plus, can't go wrong with Mass Effect.