Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   ULTIMA 6 Remake - It's DONE!!! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/27226-ultima-6-remake-its-done.html)

Tramponline 07-06-2010 04:39 AM

ULTIMA 6 Remake - It's DONE!!!

You fine Ladies and Gentlemen, it is done indeed and it's FREE!

- Adventure meets RPG -

A few hours ago Ultima 6 Project has finally been released! [mirrors end of post]

8 years (!) of development time!
The game is a TOTAL CONVERSION MOD, using only the very core of the Dungeon Siege engine!

Here're some features of Ultima 6 Project:
(Created & implemented into the DS core engine by Team Archon )
  • Using ships & their navigation system
  • NPC schedules & their ability to sleep
  • In-game journal & compendium
  • Magic orbs/ Moongates teleportation system
  • Ocean & water environment
  • Dynamic, branching conversation system
  • Individual spell system
  • Individual stats system
  • Ladder & rope system
  • Map UI
  • Dynamic banter system concerning objects, locations & characters
  • Art assets
  • Dynamic mobs
  • Massive level of interactivity
  • etc.
BUT, MOST IMPORTANT FOR US: ...tons and tons of clue gathering, sleuthing & riddle solving!

Brilliant! :D

I'd love to hear your impressions and feedback on this game,

tramp

The game itself is completely FREE, though it is a TOTAL CONVERSION MOD. You'll need either "Dungeon Siege" + patch, OR "Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna" (DS + patch already included), to provide the 3D engine, in order to play the game. (Available for around 5$ anywhere on the net)

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5156/u6pbanner.png

PS: If you would be so kind and feel like dropping a line or two, I'm sure the Archon Team would highly appreciate your input, feedback and constructive criticism! :)

Main website is down due to traffic overload. Here're some mirrors I've found:

The Hawk Online
Strategy Informers
Ultima Aiera choose v1.0
Torrent link

Fantasysci5 07-06-2010 05:10 AM

Wow, looks interesting, and for free too. Should we have played the original games to enjoy this one?

Tramponline 07-06-2010 05:17 AM

Nope, not necessary at all. Never played the original one myself, and I'm completely blown away!:)
For people who actually have played the original version, they're in for a suprise. This game being extended concerning quests and NPCs is by far an understatement (checked Ultima Codex the old quest structure).

stepurhan 07-06-2010 05:22 AM

Nice timing. It was Richard Garriott's birthday on Sunday. (He was 49)

Tramponline 07-06-2010 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepurhan (Post 554073)
Nice timing. It was Richard Garriott's birthday on Sunday. (He was 49)

:D Hehehe, he still is, I hope! :D ...and the 20th anniversary year of the release of U6! Jesus, twenty years, where did all this time go?;)

booB 07-06-2010 07:07 AM

The original Ultima 6 was one of the best RPGs ever made. Call me crazy, but from what I read about this remake, it doesn't really sound anything like Ultima 6. It sounds more like Ultima 7 (I distinctly remember it talking about "solving murders"). Also, from the sound of things, they're changing (adding) a lot of things to it, such as the option to follow an "evil" path. I'm not completely sure they understand U6. HELLO, you're the Avatar, you're supposed to be GOOD. Being evil would result in you not being the Avatar anymore, which would defeat the purpose of the game.

Tramponline 07-06-2010 07:28 AM

Good point - you probably just wouldn't be the Avatar anymore then!? :) The world isn't always black and white, isn't it? Can you judge a book by it's cover? ...And how's my hair? :P

Ps: How well do you remember the Skara Brae questline in U6?

Fantasysci5 07-06-2010 03:55 PM

Apparently you need to own the 'Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna' game to be able to play this. Which confuses me since it's called "Ultima 6 remake". Either way, I can't play it. :frown:

Fantasysci5 07-06-2010 06:10 PM

Do you think it's worth getting the Dungeon or Ultima games?

Tramponline 07-06-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 (Post 554148)
Apparently you need to own the 'Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna' game to be able to play this. Which confuses me since it's called "Ultima 6 remake". Either way, I can't play it. :frown:

You're perfectly right! I forgot to mention that in my opening post, I do apologize.
I posted after 28 hours of beta-testing the final 1.0 version - I was hardly able to look straight at that time, nevermind forming coherent sentences. :P Sorry about that!

It basically is a total conversion MOD - which means they enhanced and modified the original engine, used their own programming routines to add features and created their own art assets.

Don't worry, it is a wholly independent game and has nothing to do with Dungeon Siege other than the CORE of the 3D-engine.

I bought my copy off some bargain bin for 5$ in order to be able to run another Ultima remake called 'Lazarus', which is a remake of the 5th part of the Ultima series (though not affiliated with Archon).

It might be slightly inconvenient, but it would be rather too much to ask for, if people from a strictly non-commercial game project would have to build their own 3D-engine from scratch!:P
(Besides, you'll get three games for one! 'U5: Lazarus', 'U6 Project' AND DS, that's something, isn't it!:D)

@James
What did you mean with you can 'free other games' for this?

@Fantasy
IMHO, absolutely. I stumbled upon this project by accident just one month ago. After playing it for merely two hours, I was so impressed with all the love that went into every little detail, that I stayed on and became a beta tester. It's a game done by players (even though prof. ones), intended for players. Clearly a work of passion, without any commercial considerations or restrictions.
Honestly, while playing it, you can feel the insane amount of dedication, love and professionalism, that went into the production of this game. Didn't have a similar level of immersion in a loooooong time. :)

@booB
Concerning Team Archon's grasp on the premise and spirit of Ultima:
It even extends on a meta level. ;) They just refused an offer for donation yesterday, saying it'd be far better invested in a breast cancer research project, which they even link on the main website. Official statement.

stepurhan 07-08-2010 10:32 AM

The Xplosiv edition of Dungeon Siege : Legends of Aranna is available on Amazon. This is the version that I have and it is a standalone copy (i.e. it has the original game as well so you don't need to get that to run it. I actually have the original separately as it happens) Not sure if that is the case for all editions so be sure to check.

Only played the opening but I have to admit that I'm impressed at how much it still feels like an Ultima game, even in the Dungeon Siege engine. There is a reference to the events of Ultima 5 (which I played way back when on the Commodore 64. Yes, I'm THAT old :) ) so a bit of background reading might be helpful.

For anyone that is unsure, I think the resemblance to the old Ultima games is a good thing. There are reasons why these games are classics.

booB 07-08-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tramponline (Post 554166)
@booB
Concerning Team Archon's grasp on the premise and spirit of Ultima:
It even extends on a meta level. ;) They just refused an offer for donation yesterday, saying it'd be far better invested in a breast cancer research project, which they even link on the main website. Official statement.

Sacrifice! And Compassion! Well done.

Tramponline 07-09-2010 12:42 AM

Thanks for your feedback guys!:)

Updated info: Every 'Legends of Aranna' pack already includes the original Dungeon Siege (even though being called EXPANSION PACK in some versions). Therefore I would not recommend buying a double feature of "Dungeon Siege" AND "Legends of Aranna" as it is unnecessarily expensive and kind of futile.
Also I'd like to point out, the older original Dungeon Siege is perfectly sufficient to run U6P (and maybe cheaper). You'll just need the official DS patch (to update DS to V1.11), which can be downloaded HERE and on various mirrors throughout the net.

PS: ...received some minor 'scolding' for the structure of my opening post. I've to agree. I'm no native speaker though, but I'll try to rectify this problem and update the post later today to make it more comprehensible. I hope it'll grant some more insight and properly explain, why this is much more of an independant game rather than a simple MOD. Thanks for your patience and stay tuned!

Tramponline 07-09-2010 10:04 AM

Ok, tried to restructure intial post to make it more comprehensible.
Main website is down due to traffic, added some mirrors & one torrent link at bottom of 1st post.

Some tips for aspiring adventurers: :D
  • Try to get a sextant as soon as possible (to determine your location and see your position on the map).
  • "Always have a rope available!", is not just an empty phrase in this game.
  • Go wild, try stuff & explore off the beaten path, it's not only encouraged, but highly rewarded. :P
  • Dungeons: be well prepared!, as they're dangerous, challenging and mind-bogglingly HUGE!
  • Have a blast!

Toefur 07-10-2010 07:00 AM

Ohhhhhhh Ultima. :9~

I will have to get Dungeon Siege just for this.

Tramponline 07-11-2010 02:37 AM

:D Nice Toefur! My reaction EXACTLY when I got wind of this project's release!:D
Be sure to report back to us and tell us what you think of it!

edit: Their main website is back online again! A rougly estimated 14.000 downloads so far!

Dai_the_Bard 07-12-2010 12:53 AM

Some things you can do in this fantastic remake of the classic game:

- Master the Eight Virtues and save the worlds
- Travel the vast world and trade between picturesque cities and towns
- Become the devil incarnate and strike fear into the heart of the monarch
- Make your pet mouse into a 'lightning' fast canon
- Train the bard to be the finest boxer on the planet
- Control the nobles with your considerable Charm

Tramponline 07-16-2010 07:34 AM

Couldn't have put it any better, thanks Dai. Really laugh out loud-stuff if you know the game! Hillarious!:devil:

clockradiospeakers 07-31-2010 01:36 PM

Count me as one among the 14,000! This game is excellent -- though not quite as polished and overwhelming as Lazarus was it's still one of the best CRPGs of the year.