You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Is the adventure gamer community interested in Uncharted 2?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 01:57 AM   #1

Default Is the adventure gamer community interested in Uncharted 2?

I am wondering. I have a broad taste for games.
But the general rule is that the game should have a great story and a great art direction/creative design.
The story doesn't need to be complex with epic twists(though I love them) as long as it is presented well and the characters are endearing.
If I would express it in numbers, I play 70% for story and 30% for gameplay.

I dare to say that like me the rest of you play the adventure games for:
-Great Story
-The feeling of traveling to diverse locations, may it be exotic or a bar in a city as long as it conveys the feeling that your really there.
-Great dialog
-Great characters
-Puzzles of logic
-And basically when you play you consider the reward to be the advancement of the plot(finding out what is going on etc.)

Now.....what I have noticed is that a large group here is fond of the Indiana Jones type story. A realistic setting with an occult happening sometimes resulting in something paranormal a la Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword.

Now.....Uncharted 2 is an action/adventure game. Don't get warded off yet!!!

If there is one game to be called the modern incarnation of Indiana Jones, than it would be Nathan Drake(protagonist of the Uncharted games).
In this game, yes you will be shooting a lot, but the game is so diversive in its scenarios and it plays out like a blockbuster movie.

But where the game might really be interesting for you is the story. You follow a trail of clues which should lead to an tibetian artifact that should bestow its owner with great powers(If that isn't IJ enough for you..). It blends real history with fiction so well and the game does provide a set of nice puzzles.
Also there are quite some cutscenes and they are probably the best game directed cutscenes with one of the best voice acting you've heard.
Also you get to traverse to a set of exotic locations from a museum in Istanbul to Borneo to Kathamandu like city to the Himalayan mountains.
And no...these are not the 3d type of environments that get repetitive. The game is so detailed and no area looks the same. It's a treat exploring these locations.

Well that was that. The post turned out to be much longer than I expected.
I dunno...but I felt like presenting this game to you because as a fan of adventure games, I get something out of those games that I also got out of UC2.

Here some vids:
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUPAyGWKd6c
Cutscene(No real spoilers, just good indication what game is about): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcF2XP0wlG0
Old 06-04-2010, 02:04 AM   #2

Yeah I'm pretty sure a lot of people here have played and appreciated the game. I for instance am one of those people - I hardly play anything that's not adventures these days because I'm so damn tired of it all, but Uncharted was one of those exceptions. Very refreshing to see such good character and dialogue in games again.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 06-04-2010, 02:40 AM   #3

You can read my insane ramblings in this thread.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:42 AM   #4

Owh crap...and here I thought I could convert the avid click-and-point adventure game community to playing a an action/adventure game.

But apparently a lot of you already play games outside that genre. =(
(I didn't check the general section>_>)

I wrote that whole essay for nothing *snif*
Old 06-04-2010, 04:41 AM   #5

Oh, it's most definately not for nothing.

The more people who discover the awesomeness of Uncharted, the better.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:57 AM   #6

Actually, I would say action/adventure would be up there with RPGs when it comes to AGamers' preferences (after proper AGs, of course). I am playing now Arkham Asylum, and it's a blast. Action games with strong stories are often praised in these forums: Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts...
Old 06-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periglo View Post
Actually, I would say action/adventure would be up there with RPGs when it comes to AGamers' preferences
I suspect its a particular generation for whom the new generation consoles and games together with older 'not the most graphically advanced' AV are interesting.

I think that either people are too young and only play the MW2(you know what kind) and these people would never explore the old fashioned AV games anymore. Some of my friends still wonder why I would play +15 year olds games like Gabriel Knight.

Or people are too old. The people who grew up with the KQ games and are very loyal to that particular genre and reluctant to get in touch with the new stuff.

With all respect...I exptected a lot of older people on this forum and me, with my 21 years of age, to be considered a youngling. I didn't expect a lot of others that would play recent games like RDR and such.
I dunno....surprising to see that a lot of people here play RPG's too.
Owh...which RPG's btw? The western or JRPG kind?

Sorry if I am stereotyping....
Old 06-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
Junior Mint

I would most definitely play Uncharted if it were ported to PC.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #9

I'm a huge Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia fan, so... yeah i'm interested in Uncharted, seeing it took so many inspiration from them. Have not played it yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
Mainly WRPG's, there are a lot of Bioware fans here.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Lovable rogue

I didn't actually bother reading most of the posts in this thread, but I love single player and am up for multiplayer too. Uncharted 2 is a great game, if anyone wishes to play online then they can feel free to message me. I'm level 45 up to now.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-05-2010, 12:00 AM   #11

I think maybe one of the problems with the Uncharted and the Resistance games etc. are that they're made solely for PS3 or Xbox 360 whereas many of us adventure game players do tend play our games mainly on the PC.

I play adventure games, but I also play games like FEAR, STALKER, and several RPGs from Baldur's Gate to Witcher to Oblivion.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
Adventure Game Researcher

I had to re read the opening post several times to be sure it was not a thinly disguised plug by the game developer...

1. Lara Croft does the same as this series and much better,
2. The T shirt and blaster look is .... rather boring.
3. Not for PC
4. Nice visuals, but really, shooters with little depth are behind in the line with Far Cry 1 whch has much more amazing qualities, Chrome ditto, and on with that list.

thanks for sharing. Ys we play and study many other genres as well as Adventure....and profanity in a post is not a good advertisment for any game.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 06-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV View Post
1. Lara Croft does the same as this series and much better,
As much as I LOVED the first Tomb Raider game, IMO half of the games in the series suck ass. And, of the ones that don't suck, one is amazing, and the rest are nothing more than "decent".

I have not played Uncharted, so I can't compare the two, but they seem to get consistently better user *and* critic reviews than most of the TR games.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #14

Well Uncharted did not passed the test of time yet (its still too young) so its hard to know the impact it will have. Personally i think in 15 years time no one will remember Uncharted, at least the same way Tomb Raider is remembered today and with such a strong fanbase, but time will tell.

Anyway, i dont think both franchises are that similar really, one (TR) follows the Jordan Mechner's Prince of Persia "school", focusing on puzzle and platforming the other a more shooter based philosophy.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #15

Also UC has a more cinematic approach where as Tomb Raider is more old school platforming.
But for me UC > TR by far.

"thanks for sharing. Ys we play and study many other genres as well as Adventure....and profanity in a post is not a good advertisment for any game. "

Where did I use profanity?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:56 PM   #16

crap?
Old 06-10-2010, 05:39 AM   #17

IMO If you consider crap profanity, lock yourself in a room away from humanity.^^

Don't flame plzzz...

Last edited by Origami; 06-10-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #18
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

I'm a PS3 newcomer and have only played the first Uncharted so far, but I have to say it was amazing. It easily belongs on my list of Top 10 games ever played. Between combat, treasure hunting, boating, and a bit of Tomb Raider-esque platforming, the gameplay never got boring, the environments and visuals were simply stunning, and the story and characters were engaging and well acted. I watched the developer's "making of" video, and it is very clear how much talent and passion went into the game. Uncharted 2 is definitely on my must-play list! I'm suffering from a bit of Gamer ADD right now, but I'll get around to it eventually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
As much as I LOVED the first Tomb Raider game, IMO half of the games in the series suck ass. And, of the ones that don't suck, one is amazing, and the rest are nothing more than "decent".
Btw, ITA with your assessment of the Tomb Raider series.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #19
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
With all respect...I exptected a lot of older people on this forum and me, with my 21 years of age, to be considered a youngling. I didn't expect a lot of others that would play recent games like RDR and such.
I was raised a console gamer, so I play a lot of console mainstream games but I haven't tried Uncharted (no PS3 yet). About RPGs, mainly japanese RPGs but I'm considering buying Dragon Age: Origins when EA publishes a GotY edition. I've played a bit of some western developed RPGs in the past but since most (or the more popular ones) were licensed IPs of the "real thing" (AD&D2nd, Vampire: the Masquerade, Star Wars d20, etc) I just couldn't get into them. But now Western developers are making RPGs with systems there are designed specifically for video games, and that's great news for me.