You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General What is the best action adventure game out for the PS3?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 01:41 AM   #1

Default What is the best action adventure game out for the PS3?

I already have Devil May Cry 4, Uncharted Drake's Fortune, and Heavenly Sword. So it would be nice if you could mention some other good action adventure games. Try not to list games that are primarily 1st person shooter games. Like I said, I am all about action adventure.

Oh and how good is the game Oblivion: Elder Scrolls IV?
Old 05-04-2010, 03:47 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums!

Uncharted 2! Hehe. Uncharted's are the best thing on PS3. Though many here would argue Heavy Rain is an adventure game, so check it out. I suppose. Was fun once around.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Junior Mint

The Uncharteds are two of the rare games that I can't play but wish I could (being a non-console person).
Old 05-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
merely human

Haven't played them yet but according to the reviews and many gamers the Uncharted series is among the very best.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
handsome

3 posts saying almost the same thing? nice

Well let me see, there's Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Infamous, Ratchet&Clank, Bayonetta, Stranglehold, God of War...

realy dude there's so many, just do an advanced search on IGN or something
Old 05-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #6

Tomb Raider Underworld was nice. Far from the classics, but good neverthless. And it should be cheap nowadays
Old 05-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #7

By far the best action-adventure on the PS3 (and also best game) is Metal Gear Solid 4, however, you should play the earlier entries first, so if you have never touched a MGS-game before, it will probably not be the best choice for you. You could download MGS1 from the playstation store and see if you like that one.

Other games that i recommend are 3d Dot Heroes (old-style Zelda clone), Demon's souls (brutally hard action-RPG) and the uncharted-games.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterfyrings View Post
You could download MGS1 from the playstation store and see if you like that one.
Beeeeetter not, that game hasn't aged well at all and the story isn't worth it since its quite lame compared to the others.

Love can bloom on th.. UGH!
Old 06-02-2010, 05:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Beeeeetter not, that game hasn't aged well at all and the story isn't worth it since its quite lame compared to the others.

Love can bloom on th.. UGH!
All MGS games have soap opera lame stories, even the best one MGS3. And in my opinion MGS story is way better and much more entertaining than the pseudo philosophic mess that is MGS2.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #10

I enjoyed God of War 3 even if it was unforgiving at times. Good action game and the best so far imho.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
And in my opinion MGS story is way better and much more entertaining than the pseudo philosophic mess that is MGS2.
Not only is the most predictable, its also the one with the most facepalm moments ever in a videogame, like Liquid telling you who he is by codec, aaaand in the 2nd one you can slip in poop! sliiiip iiiin poooop!

And thats why MGS2 is made of pure win.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #12

I've been having a blast with Red Dead Redemption, amazing soundtrack as well.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen737 View Post
I've been having a blast with Red Dead Redemption, amazing soundtrack as well.
^^^ Oh to have the blessing of good timing. Red Dead Redemption is my favourite Rockstar game and the best game I've played on the PS3. Should have been an exclusive, it's a killer app.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:46 AM   #14

Hi guys. I have a copy of the limited edition of RDR =D!!!

I haven't started the game yet.
I am curious about one thing.

How diverse is the environment? Does it get repetitive? For example I hate games like Oblivion for their "lets randomize object A=Tree1 on the world map" kind of design technique.

How would you rate this games worlds' richness or repetitiveness?
Old 06-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
Red Dead Redemption is my favourite Rockstar game and the best game I've played on the PS3.
I agree, Red Dead Redemption is truly a thing of beauty, up there with some of my favourite games of all-time. From the moment I started playing I knew I was experiencing something special. The story was surprisingly powerful and the world incredibly well realized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
How diverse is the environment? Does it get repetitive? For example I hate games like Oblivion for their "lets randomize object A=Tree1 on the world map" kind of design technique.

How would you rate this games worlds' richness or repetitiveness?
I usually have the same problem with open world games, but this one was different. All the various regions felt completely different from one another, not just visually either. There's so much attention to detail and atmosphere. It was a whole lot of fun just exploring.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #16

^
Jeej....

That's great for an open world game.
The only games that succeed for me in the world design section are Adventure games and JRPG's, because most of the times the areas are drawn or prerendered and if done 3d the areas are limited so everything is detailed, and the UC games. For games like UC it's easier because they're so linear, and that's why I like linear games. Even though they might be short it's a sweet ride while they last.

But anyways...good to see that RDR is a rich world worthy of exploring.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #17
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

1. Red Dead Redemption (Yes, it's as good as everyone is saying.)
  2. Dragon Age: Origins (A ton of fun; a bit linear, but lots to do and explore.)
  3. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (A classic not to be missed, imo.)
  4. Uncharted (Just amazing.)
  5. Folklore (Beautiful visuals, very fun...I don't understand why this game isn't more popular.)
Old 06-16-2010, 04:24 AM   #18

InFamous. That's the best PS3 game.
Final Fantasy 13 might not be exactly what you're looking for, but actually IT is the best PS3 game.
MGS4 is amazing. Think of it as a series of awesome scenes done in amazing 3D. Just don't wait for the gameplay to pick up though the boss battles are rad.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #19

MGS4's gameplay is excellent, the problem is people just rush through the game and that isn't how it was meant to be played. If you study the level design you'll see that every level(the end of the level is when the game fades to black with location name) is designed in such a way that the challenge is to not be seen and study the guards walking patterns and slowly advancing forward sneaking from wall to wall. If you play it like this the gameplay is soooo rewarding.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #20
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by youfightlikeadairyfarmer View Post
Final Fantasy 13 might not be exactly what you're looking for, but actually IT is the best PS3 game.
yeah i guess he won't really like a corridor based rpg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
(...) is designed in such a way that the challenge is to not be seen and study the guards walking patterns and slowly advancing forward sneaking from wall to wall. If you play it like this the gameplay is soooo rewarding.
And you let them live ???? you gotta break their necks dude! the *snap* alone is worth all the patience .