You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General (Historical) accuracy in games

View Poll Results: Does inaccuracy in games bother you ?
Yes 10 27.78%
No 11 30.56%
Other 15 41.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2004, 09:35 AM   #21
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
The same goes for historical accuracy. If you go overboard on historal accuracy you'll end up with an encyclopedia instead of a good game.
Why not both at the same time? The same could be said about movies and books, yet there are lots of realistic games and movies.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 03-31-2004, 11:19 AM   #22
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I don't really care if I'm fighting ninja caveman in the year 3000, it's just a game...

Although if the game is more serious then maybe I would expect more accuracy...

So... I guess it DOES depend on the game, the more serious/realistic it is, the more accurate it should be...

So if the game is just a silly comedy, they can give the romans cell phones for all I care...
Old 03-31-2004, 12:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
Why not both at the same time? The same could be said about movies and books, yet there are lots of realistic games and movies.
Yes, and if I look at my top 20 of favourite movies, I'm not finding a single one that's really 'historically accurate'. They all have something magical or abnormal about them. I'm talking about movies like The Usual Suspects, Lord of the Rings, Donnie Darko, Battle Royale etc. So I guess I just prefer that kind of movies/games above ultra-realism.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:17 AM   #24
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singer
...though I don't think I've ever played an FPS where one jammed on me or needed cleaning.
...though I still think gun jamming is long overdue in shooters. )
Wasn't there something like this in the System Shock games? I know you had to maintain your weapons - wasn't there an increased likelihood of your gun jamming when its condition became poor?

Anyway, in answer to the question: no, I'm not bothered by historical / factual innaccuracies in games. That's not what I play games for - I'm always willing to sacrifice realism / accuracy for style, so long as the game doesn't profess to be an accurate historical (or otherwise)account.

I'm bothered more by movies such as Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan which portray historical events with gross simplifications / innaccuracies / fabrications and are accepted by broad sections of the populace as factual accounts. I don't think games have this affect on people (yet at least) so they don't irk me in the same way.