You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Orange Box - PC vs. XBox?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Life and times of...

Default Orange Box - PC vs. XBox?

I've been thinking of finally getting the Orange Box for HL2, only I just can't decide whether to get it for the PC or the XBox. Now, my original HL2 is on my PC and so it should work, but I'm just not sure about how well it really will as the computer is really, really old now (and I can't remember how HL2 did - at least I couldn't have nearly full effects or anything). I am getting a new computer though (but were there some weirdnesses with switching these old Steam games to a new computer?) but I'm not sure when...

In that sense I could just be safe and get the 'Box version (and I tend to find it hard to actually get to play something on the computer, plus it's pretty occupied often), but I'm so used to playing Half-Life with a mouse and keyboard that I'm just wondering how it will actually play with a pad. I do play for example Halo though.

Etcetera

Does anyone have any experience? Anything that's really decisive? Any thoughts appreciated
Old 04-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

If that new PC has integrated graphics, definitely get the 360. If that's not the case go for the PC version.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
I changed my title

Steam works with accounts so you can install your games on any computer.
It also automatically updates and patches your games. I don't know anything about the 360 so I don't know if it does that.

If you are planning on playing Team Fortress 2 that is also in the Orange box, get the PC version. The game recieved many gameplay updates, but none of them went to the xbox.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #4

I played Portal on PC and it was a really good experience
Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
merely human

"Buy me buy me!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Does anyone have any experience? Anything that's really decisive? Any thoughts appreciated
I actually got HL2 originally for my laptop but never finished it. When I finally acquired my XBox 360 (game was also made for the original XB but it looked awful, naturally) I got that version of it, i.e. the Orange Box. Looks amazing in HD on a larger screen, framerates are silky smooth, etc. Not sure how much experience you have playing FPSs on console so there may be a learning curve, but the console allows for it with difficulty settings.

Any patches and updates on X360 download semi-automatically, briefly, and then you immediately jump into the game. They did a great job porting it over.

The tradeoff on console is that you'll not get certain things that PC gamers get, like mods and tweaks. But the servers on XBL are rock solid like on the PC and you can enjoy it on a huge HDTV if you have on, right from the comfort of your couch.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 04-26-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
delusions of adequacy

If you have the disc version of Half Life 2, that'll install fine on your new computer. If you have the steam version (digital download) you can back up the game files via the steam client, to a burnable disc or to an external hard drive/usb stick and just reinstall from that to your new computer. Or you can download it again from steam's servers, all you need is your steam account name and password.

Something worth keeping in mind if you're interested in multiplayer is just how active each community may be with such an old game. You'd hate to get it and find servers empty on your platform of choice.

I bought Half Life 2: Episode 2 for $2 and TF2 for $2.50 in steam sales last year. Maybe you'd prefer to get the Orange Box on your console and just wait for sales to get those titles you feel would play better on the PC as well.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #7

If you just want to experience the singleplayer games it doesn't really matter the platform. If you are an achievement whore go for the Xbox version. If you are looking for Team Fortress 2 go for PC, TF2 nowadays is almost a new game after so many free updates, on Xbox is still the vanilla TF2. If you want mods (like the promissing Black Mesa) go for PC.

Either way, just buy it, The Orange Box is incredibly awesome.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #8
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
When I finally acquired my XBox 360 (game was also made for the original XB but it looked awful, naturally) I got that version of it, i.e. the Orange Box. Looks amazing in HD on a larger screen, framerates are silky smooth, etc.
I agree. Half-Life 2 on the original XBOX is terrible and the frame-rates are choppy as hell.

I never realized it at the time, but I ended up buying the XBOX version around the time The Orange Box was released. If I'd've known I would've bought that instead. The 360 version is sooooo much better - better graphics, better frame-rates and the inclusion of achievements.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
Life and times of...

HL2 on the original XBox? Wow, I guess I just didn't realize how old the game really was, though still it sounds pretty incredible

Anyways, thanks for the opinions so far. At least I now know I won't have to be worried about getting the XBox (360 ) version, if I so choose.

I'll probably make the choice by availability. Any further opinions are gladly accepted as it'll probably still take a short while until I actually get it. I have a lot going on...
Old 04-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #10

Definitely PC. Valve is an amazingly customer-friendly company that gives tons of free content updates and patches for free but Microsoft isn't a fan of allowing that. This is mainly a problem for Team Fortress 2 where you will be missing a HUGE amount of content on 360. Also there will be a much smaller player base.

If you only care about the single player games then I guess it isn't as important. I still say PC since the games were designed for PC. I always find it best to play a game on it's original home.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
merely human

Ultimately the PC version is best if you want to take advantage of mods and other things that the console doesn't offer.

However, the X360 version also offers a robust multiplayer experience on TF2 and there are tons of other console gamers to do it with. But yeah, if you're expressly interested in the single player campaign only you can just opt for the console version.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #12

It is also mouse versus controller and couch versus study. I do prefer the mouse over the controller, but that's because I use the mouse a lot at work to. So I'm well trained at that. Yet I do prefer the mouse and the big screen tv over my monitor, but the family doesn't always agree with that
Old 05-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #13
Homer of Kittens

Valve is PC first and foremost.

For anything Valve has ever created so far, get the PC version if you have the graphics card to run it. Get the 360 version if your computer is an average joe.

Firefox rules